Prescription drugs on TV ads

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2022, 05:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,137 Times in 881 Posts
Default Prescription drugs on TV ads

I find TV ads about prescription drugs quite disturbing. The crazy long list of side effects included in these ads are such a turn off while watching TV. In Canada, direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs is prohibited as a health protection measure. Manufacturers cannot advertise prescription-only drugs directly to the public because of their toxicity and the potential for harm from medically unnecessary or inappropriate use.
For me, I assume my doctor is the professional who will know what meds are appropriate for me. So my question to you is: has anyone ever gone to their doctor and tell them they want a certain drug they saw on TV?
Old 01-26-2022, 06:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I find TV ads about prescription drugs quite disturbing. The crazy long list of side effects included in these ads are such a turn off while watching TV. In Canada, direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs is prohibited as a health protection measure. Manufacturers cannot advertise prescription-only drugs directly to the public because of their toxicity and the potential for harm from medically unnecessary or inappropriate use.
For me, I assume my doctor is the professional who will know what meds are appropriate for me. So my question to you is: has anyone ever gone to their doctor and tell them they want a certain drug they saw on TV?
Americans are gullible and over-medicated. If you wish to get better then you must need another prescription.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

I am more irritated by the non-prescription "food supplement" ads for things like Balance of Nature and Relief Factor. At least the prescription drugs have been tested and are approved by the FDA, and require a medical doctor to write a prescription.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
In answer to your question I have to assume people do see the ads for prescription drugs then ask their doctor to prescribe to them. Why else would drug companies pay the huge advertising dollars? I personally think the TV ads should not be allowed because it contributes to the outrageous cost of drugs in the U.S. If people are concerned that their doctor is not aware of a drug and it's potential benefits, they should find a better doctor.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
In answer to your question I have to assume people do see the ads for prescription drugs then ask their doctor to prescribe to them. Why else would drug companies pay the huge advertising dollars? I personally think the TV ads should not be allowed because it contributes to the outrageous cost of drugs in the U.S. If people are concerned that their doctor is not aware of a drug and it's potential benefits, they should find a better doctor.
Those drug ads are for making money. Those drugs are so expensive and mostly not covered by Medicare. Doctors can’t know about every drug on the market, which is why pharmaceutical reps visit doctors offices and tell them all the “benefits” of their drug. Doctors were persuaded by money and luxury vacation junkets. This is one reason we hv pain medication addiction. Doctors were told that they were not addicting which wasn’t true. I don’t know what the answer is.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

I've looking into one or two but that's it. What also irks me is when the ad says "Don't take this if you are allergic to it". How would you know unless you took it!!!!
Old 01-26-2022, 07:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,137 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:

Agreed!! The cost of drugs is unconscionable in the US.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:39 AM
Default Medicare is still not allowed to negotiate drug prices

Quote:
Whatever happened to that bill?? AARP pushed it hard. I guess it's
not going to happen. I wonder why?

Always be humble and kind.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

[QUOTE=La lamy;2053619]I find TV ads about prescription drugs quite disturbing. The crazy long list of side effects included in these ads are such a turn off while watching TV. In Canada, direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs is prohibited as a health protection measure. Manufacturers cannot advertise prescription-only drugs directly to the public because of their toxicity and the potential for harm from medically unnecessary or inappropriate use.
For me, I assume my doctor is the professional who will know what meds are appropriate for me. So my question to you is: has anyone ever gone to their doctor and tell them they want a certain drug they saw on TV?[/QUOTE]

I should preface my answer with

Ever since the first direct to consumer ads in 1983-84 for Rufen and Trental, patients have come to doctor's offices with specific requests for specific drugs that they know nothing about other than they saw an ad. The internet magnified this problem 100 fold, the patients would come to the office with some blurb they googled from God knows what site and try to convince me to prescribe that med for whatever condition they thought they had. The best part was when they wanted to argue with me---actually, sort of like some posters on TOTV who worship Dr. Google.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
Those drug ads are for making money. Those drugs are so expensive and mostly not covered by Medicare. Doctors can’t know about every drug on the market, which is why pharmaceutical reps visit doctors offices and tell them all the “benefits” of their drug. Doctors were persuaded by money and luxury vacation junkets. This is one reason we hv pain medication addiction. Doctors were told that they were not addicting which wasn’t true. I don’t know what the answer is.
Really??? And your basis for this ridiculous statement is???????

Now for reality: Pharmaceutical reps are limited to handing out pens with their drug name on it and a meal if it is associated with an educational event. The days of "vacation junkets" ended in the 80's as a result of federal legislation. The ultimate hypocrisy of that legislation was that the bill was signed by the late Sen. Ted Kennedy while on a "vacation junket" skiing in the Alps courtesy of US Steel. As far as our group went, we didn't even talk to drug reps. And may I assume that part of that post was based on that TV show about oxycodone, which stretched the truth to the point of absurdity?
Old 01-26-2022, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Americans are gullible and over-medicated. If you wish to get better then you must need another prescription.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

[QUOTE=golfing eagles;2053675]
Quote:
For me, I assume my doctor is the professional who will know what meds are appropriate for me. So my question to you is: has anyone ever gone to their doctor and tell them they want a certain drug they saw on TV?[/QUOTE]

Ever since the first direct to consumer ads in 1983-84 for Rufen and Trental, patients have come to doctor's offices with specific requests for specific drugs that they know nothing about other than they saw an ad. The internet magnified this problem 100 fold, the patients would come to the office with some blurb they googled from God knows what site and try to convince me to prescribe that med for whatever condition they thought they had. The best part was when they wanted to argue with me---actually, sort of like some posters on TOTV who worship Dr. Google.
i once asked my dr for one of the new(@ the time) drugs, nexium. i admit i saw the ad on tv & felt this was for me, lol, just like you said. my dr refused to prescribe, saying it had too many unresolved side effects. i was a tad irked from her refusal, but years later we see she was correct. your post was spot on.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:35 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=PugMom;2053692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

i once asked my dr for one of the new(@ the time) drugs, nexium. i admit i saw the ad on tv & felt this was for me, lol, just like you said. my dr refused to prescribe, saying it had too many unresolved side effects. i was a tad irked from her refusal, but years later we see she was correct. your post was spot on.
Mainly because I lived with it for 35 years But I'm sure someone on this site will want to argue
Old 01-26-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

[QUOTE=golfing eagles;2053675]
Quote:

You needed one of these...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 01-26-2022, 08:47 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=JMintzer;2053719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

You needed one of these...

The Villages Florida
I have one
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	google search 2.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	92324  
Closed Thread

Tags
drugs, prescription, ads, doctor, harm

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.