Can you hear ringing? Why only in your ears?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 AM
Default Can you hear ringing? Why only in your ears?

The next tinnitus support group club meeting will be Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 3:30PM at Churchill Street Recreation Center. A senior hearing professional from Lake Medical Hearing will
present an informal discussion on the mechanics of the inner ear. I can be contacted at (tvtinnitus@gmail.com)
NOTE: WE were the first Volunteer Villages Support Group Club to be nominated to work at Vendor night on the squares, a new program run by the Villages.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	tinnitus image.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	81375   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	tinnitus image 1.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	81376  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

According to the NIH, National Institute of Health, there is no cure for tinnitus. Some may find some help in masking the sound, but most must get used to it.

Tinnitus Cure May Lie in the Brain | National Institutes of Health (NIH)

SCAM ALERT: Online Tinnitus Treachery Exposed - San Diego Consumers' Action Network
Old 10-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
According to the NIH, National Institute of Health, there is no cure for tinnitus. Some may find some help in masking the sound, but most must get used to it.

Tinnitus Cure May Lie in the Brain | National Institutes of Health (NIH)

SCAM ALERT: Online Tinnitus Treachery Exposed - San Diego Consumers' Action Network
Good post Gracie
Old 10-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

No cure.................unfortunate.

And there are so many preying on those who wish there was a cure.

Over-active ear.................why can't someone just slow it down??
Old 10-21-2019, 03:26 PM

I fully concur with posts 2, 3, and 4. I even had an evaluation by one of the best Audiologists at the Santa Barbara Medical who said my hearing response to all the frequencies was great. The fact that I suffered from Tinnitus was unfortunate and is "not reversable and there is no cure." Kind of what my military medical doctors had been telling me since I first exhibited the symptoms back in the 1970s when I began working around jet fighters.

Not to cast any dispersions on anyone but if anyone gets "cured" then great but I won't spend any money in that direction.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

I hear a sound like crickets??
Old 12-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
I hear a sound like crickets??

Yep
Old 12-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

People with bad enough hearing loss that they need hearing aids, can develop tinnitus as a result of the hearing loss. Wearing hearing aids can reduce the frequency of the tinnitus, and the volume of the tinnitus. In some cases it can eliminate it completely for awhile, even when the person takes the hearing aids out.

I've had progressive nerve damage in my ears since birth. I've had tinnitus since I was a kid; I thought it was radio waves and thought it was a pretty cool phenomenon that I never mentioned to anyone. I didn't really understand what it was til it started coming regularly, when I was in my 40s. That was also when my nerve damage kicked itself up another notch and my hearing got a little worse.

I'm supposed to wear hearing aids and have a pair, but I hate them and never wear them. I'm so used to NOT hearing properly, that I find the world is just way too loud for me with them in my ears. However, when I was wearing them, I noticed the tinnitus had stopped completely. I wore them almost every day, for most of the day, for a couple of months. When I started skipping days, I still didn't have the tinnitus anymore. I would sometimes skip wearing them for almost two weeks before the ringing would return.

Now, there's usually some ringing in my ears but I'm just so used to it I don't pay it any attention. I can't hear what you're saying anyway so it's not like it's "in the way" of external sound

Moral of the story:

Hearing aids for people who have nerve damage in their ears AND tinnitus, can reduce and even eliminate tinnitus, temporarily. Long-term if you wear the aids religiously. It's not a cure. You still have tinnitus. But you no longer have "episodes" of it.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:26 PM

See if this works for you....

Closed Thread

Tags
club, group, villages, support, hearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.