Probiotics and your Appendix

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=Villages PL;1020821]Yes, you can do many things indefinitely. But you have to ask under what conditions; why is it needed? What's optimal? What's happening to the good bacteria in your gut that requires it to be continuously replaced?

If you need it to be continuously replaced, something must be wrong systemically.

As I said, you can do lots of things indefinitely, but where's the proof that it's optimal. Where's the proof that a healthy person needs to do this continuously to maintain good health?

Anyway, if what you're taking is not the full complement of a normal balance, and it's highly doubtful that you'll find it in any product, then what are you promoting?[/QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always wonder what you want us all to do? What are you promoting???

Most of us DON'T CARE what other people eat.

The notion that good gut flora has to be continuously replaced is inaccurate. Read here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora
Old 02-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Yes, you can do many things indefinitely. But you have to ask under what conditions; why is it needed? What's optimal? What's happening to the good bacteria in your gut that requires it to be continuously replaced? If you need it to be continuously replaced, something must be wrong systemically. As I said, you can do lots of things indefinitely, but where's the proof that it's optimal. Where's the proof that a healthy person needs to do this continuously to maintain good health?
Anyway, if what you're taking is not the full complement of a normal balance, and it's highly doubtful that you'll find it in any product, then what are you promoting?
I'm not promoting a darn thing. I was merely quoting an article by Dr. Andrew Weil.
I was just offering information for consideration, something you often do.
As Gracie said, most of us don't care what other people eat.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-28-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:

Anyway, if what you're taking is not the full complement of a normal balance, and it's highly doubtful that you'll find it in any product, then what are you promoting?
That was a rhetorical question. If you're not taking a fully balanced probiotic supplement or eating a fully balanced probiotic product, then you would likely be promoting unbalance rather than balance.

And it's my contention that there's no such thing as a fully balanced probiotic supplement or edible probiotic product. It just doesn't exist.

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot

"Yes, you can stay on probiotics indefinitely."

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Quote:
Originally posted by Villages PL;]

Yes, you can do many things indefinitely. But you have to ask under what conditions; why is it needed? What's optimal.

Quote:
Originally posted by graciegirl

The notion that good gut flora has to be continuously replaced is inaccurate. Read here; Gut flora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That has been my point all along. You can stay on probiotics indefinitely (or continuously) but that doesn't mean it's optimal for the average healthy individual.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
That was a rhetorical question. If you're not taking a fully balanced supplement or eating a fully balanced product, then you would likely be promoting unbalance rather than balance.

Of what?
Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Of what?
....a fully balanced probiotic supplement etc..(which doesn't exist).....in an attempt to establish good gut flora....(bacteria)
Old 02-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Sage
Default The popcorn issue:

Re:

Is the popcorn genetically modified?

Scientists now understand that gene sharing can take place between different species. So when we eat and digest GM foods, like corn, the newly modified genes transfer into and change the good bacteria in the gut. It's called "gene transfer". [Heritage 2004; Netherwood, et al, 2004]

When you change the good bacteria in the gut, you alter the foundation of the immune system. What will the consequences be, if any? It may be too soon to tell. It's an ongoing experiment.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Sage
Default Probiotics and your Appendix

Here is the most recent statement of the World Health Organization regarding Gene Transfer.

"Gene transfer from GM foods to cells of the body or to bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract would cause concern if the transferred genetic material adversely affects human health. This would be particularly relevant if antibiotic resistance genes, used as markers when creating GMOs, were to be transferred. Although the probability of transfer is low, the use of gene transfer technology that does not involve antibiotic resistance genes is encouraged."
Old 02-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Sage

More:

5. What are the main issues of concern for human health?

While theoretical discussions have covered a broad range of aspects, the three main issues debated are the potentials to provoke allergic reaction (allergenicity), gene transfer and outcrossing.

Allergenicity
As a matter of principle, the transfer of genes from commonly allergenic organisms to non-allergic organisms is discouraged unless it can be demonstrated that the protein product of the transferred gene is not allergenic. While foods developed using traditional breeding methods are not generally tested for allergenicity, protocols for the testing of GM foods have been evaluated by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and WHO. No allergic effects have been found relative to GM foods currently on the market.

Gene transfer
Gene transfer from GM foods to cells of the body or to bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract would cause concern if the transferred genetic material adversely affects human health. This would be particularly relevant if antibiotic resistance genes, used as markers when creating GMOs, were to be transferred. Although the probability of transfer is low, the use of gene transfer technology that does not involve antibiotic resistance genes is encouraged.

Outcrossing
The migration of genes from GM plants into conventional crops or related species in the wild (referred to as “outcrossing”), as well as the mixing of crops derived from conventional seeds with GM crops, may have an indirect effect on food safety and food security. Cases have been reported where GM crops approved for animal feed or industrial use were detected at low levels in the products intended for human consumption. Several countries have adopted strategies to reduce mixing, including a clear separation of the fields within which GM crops and conventional crops are grown.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:26 PM

You can tell it is a rainy day from the sound of all the posts seems a shame that all are posting along this line when most of the people in this world will mostly like go to bed having had nothing to eat
Old 02-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage
Default Probiotics and your Appendix

This is important work...exploring the benefits of popcorn on (or in) the human body. And whether the popcorn is GMO or not. ::
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage

I kinda know when a point has been scored in a debate with certain folks. The subject changes.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I kinda know when a point has been scored in a debate with certain folks. The subject changes.
Yes, indeed, the subject now is: Who's winning points?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, indeed, the subject now is: Who's winning points?

Actually, the subject is still Probiotics.

If Vegans don't eat dairy, how to they establish and maintain a healthy gut?
I've know many people who were Vegans in the past.
I don't know anyone who still follows a Vegan diet - their doctors have all advised them otherwise.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
[/B] Actually, the subject is still Probiotics.

If Vegans don't eat dairy, how to they establish and maintain a healthy gut?

Good question! I don't do anything except eat a healthy diet and nature does the rest. I did take antibiotics twice when I was young but never noticed any problem. Perhaps, as I suggested, it was my appendix that repopulated my gut. What else could it be? I didn't even know there was such a thing as probiotics back then.

Quote:
I've know many people who were Vegans in the past.
I don't know anyone who still follows a Vegan diet - their doctors have all advised them otherwise.
1) It's not for the average person, so I'm not surprised.

2) There may be many people who practice veganism poorly because they were not in it for health in the first place.

3) If they were not in it primarily for health reasons (perhaps they were animal rights activists or anorexic etc.) their doctor may have advised otherwise.

I don't feel I have to defend all vegans anymore than you should have to defend all those who eat animal protein.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.