Probiotics and your Appendix

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Sage
Default Probiotics and your Appendix

In yesterday's Daily Sun there was an article about probiotics.

The article didn't recommend getting probiotics from pills. Instead it recommended various dairy products. The article was okay but it didn't make it clear that you don't need to keep consuming dairy. Once you get the probiotics you need in your gut, your gut will take care of itself. The bacteria will keep reproducing, assuming you're living a "normal" lifestyle and not taking antibiotics.

Vegans, for example, don't eat dairy and usually don't need probiotics. If your system is working well, it will maintain itself.

In other news separate from the article: It was recently "discovered" that the appendix serves as a reservoir for good bacteria. Ideally, this is the best way to repopulate the gut with a complete balance of good bacteria.

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-27-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Platinum member

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Sage
Default Probiotics and your Appendix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post

[emoji3]opcorn is both an irritant and source of bulk. Fitting for this topic!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Eating Garrett's
Old 02-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Eating Garrett's
Enjoy!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Platinum member

If one does not eat healthy ALL the time....usually, but not always.....is a probiotic recommended? If one has autoimmune conditions, will the probiotics help or aggravate?
Are you familiar with lacteferin in supplement form? Good, bad?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
If one does not eat healthy ALL the time....usually, but not always.....is a probiotic recommended? If one has autoimmune conditions, will the probiotics help or aggravate?
Are you familiar with lacteferin in supplement form? Good, bad?
If you usually eat healthy, I don't think you need to worry about probiotics. I make exceptions on occasion and I don't feel I need probiotics.

I'm not sure about autoimmune conditions so I don't feel qualified to answer.
And I'm not familiar with lacteferin.

But I will say this: A healthy immune system depends on having healthy and complete gut flora. This is something that has evolved over hundreds of thousands of years. It's a balance of many types of bacteria, each with their own purpose or task. Taking one certain supplement is unlikely to replace everything that nature put there over eons.

Different types of bacteria compete with each other, like our government with it's checks and balances. So I would think twice about taking one certain supplement over and over. That may actually work against balance.

For people who have severe health issues and want to make sure they have the right balance, there is always the possibility of getting a fecal transplant from a healthy relative.

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-27-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Actually, he's right about fecal transplants. But Ew.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
If you usually eat healthy, I don't think you need to worry about probiotics. I make exceptions on occasion and I don't feel I need probiotics.

I'm not sure about autoimmune conditions so I don't feel qualified to answer.
And I'm not familiar with lacteferin.

But I will say this: A healthy immune system depends on having healthy and complete gut flora. This is something that has evolved over hundreds of thousands of years. It's a balance of many types of bacteria, each with their own purpose or task. Taking one certain supplement is unlikely to replace everything that nature put there over eons.

Different types of bacteria compete with each other, like our government with it's checks and balances. So I would think twice about taking one certain supplement over and over. That may actually work against balance.

For people who have severe health issues and want to make sure they have the right balance, there is always possibility of getting a fecal transplant from a healthy relative.

url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/30/fecal-transplant-crackdown-fda-regulate-infection-stool-treatment_n_3353345.html[/url]
Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Dr Oz is out of the building........
Dr. Oz is unavailable but Dr. Weil is filling in for him today. I'm not sure I would ever believe a doctor who sells products on the internet.

Supplemental probiotics provide the helpful bacteria (usually Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium), which normally inhabit the human digestive tract. Most of these "friendly" bacteria occur naturally in cultured milk products, such as acidophilus milk and yogurt with active cultures.
Taken regularly, probiotics can help keep the digestive system in balance and functioning optimally, restore normal flora, and support immune system function, especially when you're taking antibiotics, which can wipe out intestinal bacteria indiscriminately. I also frequently suggest probiotics as an effective treatment for diarrhea, lactose intolerance, irritable bowel syndrome, vaginal yeast infections, oral thrush, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis. When there's a family history of allergy or eczema, babies receiving probiotics in their first six months of life (and whose mothers took probiotics during the last trimester of pregnancy) are less prone to develop skin problems. Children with autism can also benefit from probiotics, possibly because the beneficial bacteria decrease leakage of large molecules from the gut, a process that can trigger immune reactions that affect brain function.
I recommend taking probiotic supplements whenever you're on antibiotics. Take them twice a day with meals as soon as you start your course of medication and continue for a few days after you finish. Look for brands containing Bacillus coagulans (BC-30) or Lactobacillus GG in liquid or capsule form. The dose is one tablespoon of the liquid culture or one to two capsules unless the label directs otherwise. Always check the expiration date to make sure that the bacteria these products contain are alive and in good condition, and look for brands with "colony forming units" (CFUs) in the billions. Be sure to protect your supplements from heat, moisture, and air.
Yes, you can stay on probiotics indefinitely. The only reason to avoid them is if you have had an allergic reaction to lactobacillus, acidophilus, bifidobacterium, or Streptococcus thermophilus.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Dr. Oz is unavailable but Dr. Weil is filling in for him today. I'm not sure I would ever believe a doctor who sells products on the internet.

Supplemental probiotics provide the helpful bacteria (usually Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium), which normally inhabit the human digestive tract. Most of these "friendly" bacteria occur naturally in cultured milk products, such as acidophilus milk and yogurt with active cultures.
Taken regularly, probiotics can help keep the digestive system in balance and functioning optimally, restore normal flora, and support immune system function, especially when you're taking antibiotics, which can wipe out intestinal bacteria indiscriminately. I also frequently suggest probiotics as an effective treatment for diarrhea, lactose intolerance, irritable bowel syndrome, vaginal yeast infections, oral thrush, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis. When there's a family history of allergy or eczema, babies receiving probiotics in their first six months of life (and whose mothers took probiotics during the last trimester of pregnancy) are less prone to develop skin problems. Children with autism can also benefit from probiotics, possibly because the beneficial bacteria decrease leakage of large molecules from the gut, a process that can trigger immune reactions that affect brain function.
I recommend taking probiotic supplements whenever you're on antibiotics. Take them twice a day with meals as soon as you start your course of medication and continue for a few days after you finish. Look for brands containing Bacillus coagulans (BC-30) or Lactobacillus GG in liquid or capsule form. The dose is one tablespoon of the liquid culture or one to two capsules unless the label directs otherwise. Always check the expiration date to make sure that the bacteria these products contain are alive and in good condition, and look for brands with "colony forming units" (CFUs) in the billions. Be sure to protect your supplements from heat, moisture, and air.
Yes, you can stay on probiotics indefinitely. The only reason to avoid them is if you have had an allergic reaction to lactobacillus, acidophilus, bifidobacterium, or Streptococcus thermophilus.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Dr Weil, I'm feeling well. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Most people...the vast majority of people eat dairy.

About what percentage would you think?

I love brie warmed with raspberry jelly and good crackers. And a cold glass of O'douls.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-28-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most people...the vast majority of people eat dairy.

About what percentage would you think?

I love brie warmed with raspberry jelly and good crackers. And a cold glass of O'douls.

Dairy covers a lot of ground. Let's see: milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream. I would guess 80%.

I love your Brie nosh!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most people...the vast majority of people eat dairy. About what percentage would you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Dairy covers a lot of ground. Let's see: milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream. I would guess 80%.
That's an interesting question. I would have thought at least 90%. Everyone I know eats some type of dairy.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
[B]Yes, you can stay on probiotics indefinitely.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
Yes, you can do many things indefinitely. But you have to ask under what conditions; why is it needed? What's optimal? What's happening to the good bacteria in your gut that requires it to be continuously replaced?

If you need it to be continuously replaced, something must be wrong systemically.

As I said, you can do lots of things indefinitely, but where's the proof that it's optimal. Where's the proof that a healthy person needs to do this continuously to maintain good health?

Anyway, if what you're taking is not the full complement of a normal balance, and it's highly doubtful that you'll find it in any product, then what are you promoting?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.