problem getting pain meds in rehab facility

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Platinum member
Default problem getting pain meds in rehab facility

Has anyone been in rehab and did not receive pain meds as ordered by the doctor. Has the facility run out or did not see a need to give at times as prescribed?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I would start with your doctor and let him ask why they did not follow his direction.
At the same time I would speak to the director of the rehab facility.
Somebody is dropping the ball....................
Old 11-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I would start with your doctor and let him ask why they did not follow his direction.
At the same time I would speak to the director of the rehab facility.
Somebody is dropping the ball....................
what this person said. Years ago, up north, had surgery that kept me overnight. 1st nurse said "we'll want to keep your pain under control so don't hesitate hitting the call button!" Everything went downhill after this and my pain levels shot to 15 (on a scale of 1 to 10). I reported it afterwards but don't know how things went from there. Someone mentioned to me that "perhaps" someone on staff was pilfering the meds. Something to think about so yes...speak to your doctor as well as the director!!!!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Sage

My wife was in rehab for about 10 days last December. She received her meds, but when we left the meds were not given to us. The doc wrote a scrip for pain meds but the pharmacy would not fill it because the previous scrip had not been used up according to the computer. Turns out this is a common occurrence. With the facility or the staff feels comfortable taking the meds from discharged patients.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

If you have meds prescribed in a facility, they are usually provided through a pharmacy company contracted with that facility. The pharmacy fills orders that are put in by the staff after the doctor has written them. Medication management is very closely regulated. There are strict protocols to be followed. I know this because I am an Assisted Living Administrator and presently run a community. Nursing homes have very strict rules regulated by the state. The pills you take in the facility must be given as per doctor orders. Talk to the Director of Nursing or the Administrator of the Rehab. If you feel that you are not getting your meds and the staff are pilfering, you call the State ACHA and make a complaint and it will be immediately investigated. It is illegal for a nurse or med tech to steal drugs of course. You also need to understand what the doctors orders are for medication. Every facility should have the number for the abuse hotline posted where you can see it. Do not assume this or that-get the answers from the administration and if you are not happy with the answer, put a complaint in with the state No one should suffer with pain, no one should have their scheduled medications omitted, and no staff should be pilfering. It is unusual for someone to be sent home with medication, you usually get prescriptions to be filled when you go home. The facility seldom sends you home with meds. Medication is a very precise procedure. Do not take this lightly if you are denied your meds or left to be in pain. Insist on seeing the med orders in the facility for yourself. Be vocal. Rock the boat. It's your life.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
>>> shortened<<<<
Medication management is very closely regulated. There are strict protocols to be followed.

I know this because I am an Assisted Living Administrator and presently run a community. If you feel that you are not getting your meds and the staff are pilfering,

you call the State ACHA and make a complaint and it will be immediately investigated.
Its your life.
The Agency for Health Care Administration will also address complaints..
The AHCA can be reached Toll Free at 888-419-3456.

For further INFO (Forms etc.) ..............

CLICK HERE >>>>>>> https://apps.ahca.myflorida.com/hcfc/

When website appears, you are on the complaint page.
You can click on "HOME" (near top left of that page) and get
additional Info.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Platinum member

Thank you for your replies.

The entire management team was in my room at one time, so they were aware of my problem.

When my doctor saw me, she said, "go home" and signed me out of the rehab center.

I have never filed a complaint against anyone or anything, but do not want this to happen to anyone else, especially someone elderly with no one watching out for their well being.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I do provide advocacy for elders who have no family or support and I will oversee their care and discharge planning and follow up from hospital or rehab. I also provide in home visitation and oversight for those who need "The Other Daughter". I can be reached by emailing janeinthevillages@gmail.com or through this site. Or at
352 391 0899 three five two three nine one zero eight nine nine Jane Bloom
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Local pharmacies are running out of pain meds during snow bird seaon. I discussed similar problem with my local pharmacist.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Please be aware that certain rehabs give your pain medicine " on request" . I came out of the hospital to rehab and was told this at the rehab. At the time of being placed in my room I was out of it in pain and did not realize I was told about their policy. Staff inquired how I was feeling during the night but I would mumble "terrible " or something to that effect. ( I was in horrible pain from the knee replacement procedure .) I did get pain MEDS on nurses rounds during the day but had to wheel myself to her Up the hallway to get the pills because it took the nurse too long to get to me in the last room. I finally complained after 2 days of this and THEN was told about their having told me of their policy on admission to rehab! This also was the case about bathing. I was spot washing because I was never told that a staff person would assist me to bath and wash my hair on certain days. All in all it was a ghastly experience at rehab ...I cannot reveal facility for fear of legality ( near 441) I am willing to share more of my saga....lack of food, roaches,poor staff at night,dirty room, unbelievably crazy billing...... P M and I will reveal facility name We were not aware of how to handle the chaos besides complaining constantly to facility / staff managers, nurses and our insurance person. I was not Medicare , Nearly all nearby facilities ONLY take Medicare.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Sage

Slightly off topic but my beef is that the doctors are really stingy with pain meds in spite of the fact that people heal faster when not in pain. I am not sure if it is just in Florida or nationally but I have heard far too many stories here as well as experienced it once firsthand.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

It is national. Due to the problems of prescription pain med abuse, the FDA has made it much more difficult (for example, paper prescriptions are required for some categories of meds). In FL, they are especially strict due to the state's previous rep as a pill mill paradise.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.