Prostate biopsy

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2023, 04:59 PM
Default Prostate biopsy

I am scheduled for a prostate biopsy in the next 30 days. They use the Transperal Method (Needle), has anyone had this procedure? I am interested in recovery time, lots of different info on the Internet, seems recovery normally is 2 to 5 days.

Only GOOD news wanted (JK).
Old 03-27-2023, 05:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,940 Times in 742 Posts

There may/will be blood in your semen for awhile
Old 03-27-2023, 05:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie View Post
I am scheduled for a prostate biopsy in the next 30 days. They use the Transperal Method (Needle), has anyone had this procedure? I am interested in recovery time, lots of different info on the Internet, seems recovery normally is 2 to 5 days.

I've had this procedure in years past on six different occasions. As mentioned, there was blood in the semen for a short period of time. Other than that, I didn't experience any side effects, and there wasn't any recovery time needed.
During the procedure you'll feel a pinch and slight discomfort with each sample taken. I wouldn't classify it as pain, just discomfort. Good Luck and I hope your results are negative.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:

First, let's assume you mean transperineal biopsy
Second, the only source for only good news is Polyanna

That being said, I suggest you look at a few medical website articles regarding the procedure as well as the info from your urologist

I briefly reviewed the following article and it seems appropriate for a non-medical professional.

Ultrasound-guided transperineal prostate biopsy - Mayo Clinic
Old 03-27-2023, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

After reading the link provided by GE, I DID NOT have the transperineal method of prostate biopsy, rather the rectal approach. I didn't realize the difference. Hopefully someone who has had that will post soon.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Good luck with the procedure, be very careful if the give you the antibiotic Cipro to prevent a UTI. Ciprofloxacin is nasty stuff with horrible side effects.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:46 PM

Over the years I have sedated many men for that procedure, so I can speak to that. Most all just drift off to sleep (Propofol) wake up and it’s done, no recall, no immediate discomfort.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Good luck with the procedure, be very careful if the give you the antibiotic Cipro to prevent a UTI. Ciprofloxacin is nasty stuff with horrible side effects.
Didn't realize that, and neither did most physicians

Hmmmmm......Let's see---I've prescribed it maybe a thousand times and taken it myself maybe 5 or 6 times. So far the body count is ZERO
Old 03-28-2023, 02:38 AM

Quote:

Are you certain the test needs to be done? I question this because the PSA "normal" numbers, 1 -4 are inaccurate for everyone. The older you become, numbers somewhat higher than 4 become "normal". Meaning that, in some cases, that test is not necessary. Some physicians disagree with this, however, my information comes from many different sources. Due diligence here is absolutely mandatory. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2023, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

OP, can you share why the biopsy was recommended?

Old 03-28-2023, 09:09 AM
Default Prostate biospy

I am 73 years old, my PSA jumped to 10 recently. I was a bit hesitant to have the biopsy as I feel great. I had a Pelvic MRI which showed a 23 mm lump on my prostate but no sign of spreading.

Thanks to everyone who responded, nice to receive feedback from those who have gone through the procedure.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Are you certain the test needs to be done? I question this because the PSA "normal" numbers, 1 -4 are inaccurate for everyone. The older you become, numbers somewhat higher than 4 become "normal". Meaning that, in some cases, that test is not necessary. Some physicians disagree with this, however, my information comes from many different sources. Due diligence here is absolutely mandatory. Good luck!
Get the test and ignore the statistics, statistics have outliers. If you happen to be one of the outliers, and blindly follow the statistics, your decision could kill you. My PSA was only 2.9 but the biopsy showed a Gleason score of 7. The final biopsy after open radical prostatectomy showed stage T3A cancer, which most likely would have killed me by now if I followed the statistics and didn’t get the biopsy. That was 6 1/2 years ago and my PSA remains undetectable (cancer free) : ). I was very lucky to have one of the best Urology Oncologist Surgeons in the world at Mass General do the surgery the old school way (open versus robotics) and get clean margins.

GET THE TEST!
Old 03-28-2023, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Didn't realize that, and neither did most physicians

Hmmmmm......Let's see---I've prescribed it maybe a thousand times and taken it myself maybe 5 or 6 times. So far the body count is ZERO
Google “floxed” and read the horror stories. A good friend was prescribed Cipro and a week later ruptured her Achilles’ tendon simply walking. I will never take that stuff.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Get the test and ignore the statistics, statistics have outliers. If you happen to be one of the outliers, and blindly follow the statistics, your decision could kill you. My PSA was only 2.9 but the biopsy showed a Gleason score of 7. The final biopsy after open radical prostatectomy showed stage T3A cancer, which most likely would have killed me by now if I followed the statistics and didn’t get the biopsy. That was 6 1/2 years ago and my PSA remains undetectable (cancer free) : ). I was very lucky to have one of the best Urology Oncologist Surgeons in the world at Mass General do the surgery the old school way (open versus robotics) and get clean margins.

GET THE TEST!
Thanks for the information, you are correct, everyone is different. Of course there are risk involved whether or not you take the test. We all must decide how to proceed in a way that is most comfortable for each of us individually. My PSA is just over 4 and my urologist wanted to do the 12 sample test. At 75 yo, no thanks.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Google “floxed” and read the horror stories. A good friend was prescribed Cipro and a week later ruptured her Achilles’ tendon simply walking. I will never take that stuff.
One case and a google search. I don't think I need to say anything more.
Closed Thread

Tags
prostate, biopsy, days, recovery, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.