Prostate Cancer

Prostate Cancer

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prostate Cancer
  #1  
Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 PM
inthemindofanurse inthemindofanurse is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Default Prostate Cancer

My father was just diagnosed with prostate cancer ☹️ He was told he can do radiation or surgery. I’m looking for pros and cons of each. Long and short term side effects. He was also diagnosed with melanoma a few years back. I’m wondering if that makes his chances of getting a 3rd or 4th type of cancer higher? Or is there any relevance? I also read that while rare, prostate cancer can metastasize and if so, bone is common. My grandfather passed from bone cancer. Does this increase my fathers chances? And finally, who is the best urologist and oncologist? I don’t think he wants to go anywhere local. Thank you gentlemen for any and all info!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 08-08-2019, 05:27 PM
raynan's Avatar
raynan raynan is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jacaranda Island, Village of Pennecamp
Posts: 1,482
Default

Best urologist is Dr. Karavadia at Advanced Urology Institue. He'll have the answers to all of your questions. There are new treatments for prostate cancer all the time, several in the last couple of years.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
prostate cancer
  #3  
Old 08-08-2019, 05:47 PM
red tail red tail is online now
Gold member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rio Grande Designer Villas of De Laguna
Posts: 1,097
Default prostate cancer

I had gleason 7 prostate cancer and was treated with radiation at robi institute and had no side effects and never missed a tee time all thru my treatments. that was 3 years ago and im still testing cancer free. absolutely no side effects other than the usual urination problems.
The Villages | Robert Boissoneault Oncology Institute | Radiation Oncology
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-08-2019, 05:48 PM
jdarby2 jdarby2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 39
Default

I have prostrate cancer presently have had it now for a couple years. I did not have choices I had chemo therapy and now two years later taking chemo therapy pills at a rate of 1000 mg. A day. A good friend of mine had surgery and prostrate removed he has no problems now !
Best answer is a good urologist and an outstanding oncologist working together!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Edjkoz Edjkoz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 165
Default

A lot depends on how aggressive the cancer is and his age. I had a very aggressive type at a younger age so my only real choice was surgery. There are side effects such as incontinence and ED. Also, by having surgery first, I was still eligible for radiation if needed. You should have this discussion with his Dr. There is also a prostate cancer support group in the Villages with a wealth of info
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:38 PM
drpepper drpepper is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 31
Default

I also had prostate cancer and a year ago last October I had a procedure called H.I.F.U. , high intensity focused ultrasound. I still test for psa which is normal but my doctor tells me there is no cancer. It doesn't work for everyone but I'm happy that I chose it. One of the deciding factors for me was that you can have the procedure repeated if cancer was to return. I don't believe you can repeat radiation. My doctor was a pioneer of the procedure in Louisville, Ky. I believe there is a doctor that's well versed in the procedure in Orlando. I can come up with a name if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:02 PM
biker1 biker1 is online now
Platinum member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,765
Default

I am not sure how old he is or what his Gleason score is. These matter, as well as his overall health. If he lives around here, and I am assuming he does, I would recommend he get an opinion from the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I went there and had a good outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemindofanurse View Post
My father was just diagnosed with prostate cancer ☹️ He was told he can do radiation or surgery. I’m looking for pros and cons of each. Long and short term side effects. He was also diagnosed with melanoma a few years back. I’m wondering if that makes his chances of getting a 3rd or 4th type of cancer higher? Or is there any relevance? I also read that while rare, prostate cancer can metastasize and if so, bone is common. My grandfather passed from bone cancer. Does this increase my fathers chances? And finally, who is the best urologist and oncologist? I don’t think he wants to go anywhere local. Thank you gentlemen for any and all info!

Last edited by biker1; 08-08-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:33 PM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I am not sure how old he is or what his Gleason score is. These matter, as well as his overall health. If he lives around here, and I am assuming he does, I would recommend he get an opinion from the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I went there and had a good outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
A lot depends on how aggressive the cancer is and his age. I had a very aggressive type at a younger age so my only real choice was surgery. There are side effects such as incontinence and ED. Also, by having surgery first, I was still eligible for radiation if needed. You should have this discussion with his Dr. There is also a prostate cancer support group in the Villages with a wealth of info
Both of the above posts are good advise as I also am a 3 year prostate cancer survivor. I had a Gleason score of 7 at a relatively young age and opted to have my prostate removed. Good thing I did because the post operation pathology report showed the cancer had broken through the prostate wall (making it stage 3), but I was lucky it had not yet spread to my pelvic lymph nodes and the margins were clean. If I had waited, it was only a matter of time before it spread. My primary care physician saved my life finding the tumor during my annual physical. I get a PSA test every 6 months and so far the PSA levels have been undetectable, so far so good. I was lucky to have had one of the best urological surgeons in world, Dr. Francis McGovern, out of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. I would highly recommend him if it is logistically and insurance wise possible. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 PM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages
Posts: 925
Default

When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer I read a book by Dr. Patrick Walsh who is affiliated with Johns Hopkins, A guide to surviving prostate cancer. I found the information in the book to be very useful in helping me make the decisions that I now do not regret. Lots of good information in the book for a relatively cheap price on Amazon. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:00 PM
bob47 bob47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santiago
Posts: 183
Default

If you hook up with only a urologist, you will most like be steered toward surgery. If you hook up with only a radiologist, you will most likely be steered toward radiation therapy. There is value in getting hooked up with a medical oncologist for an independent opinion. Many at Florida Cancer Specialists are very good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cancer, prostate, chances, i’m, diagnosed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.