Protein activates genes, accelerates aging.

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Sage

I like the comment a previous poster made about the genetic cards you have been dealt and when I hear about protein aging you I have to look at Suzanne Sommers who is high on protein, fresh fruits and vegetables and is doing really, really well. She is not just a dumb blonde from a TV show or just another pretty face, but does lots of research and it seems to working well for her. Take everything with a grain of salt and do what works for you. I try to live a healthy life style, but I'll be damned if I will not have a delicious steak or a piece of chocolate so I can live a few more years to look back at all that I feel I missed. Just one person's opinion.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I like the comment a previous poster made about the genetic cards you have been dealt and when I hear about protein aging you I have to look at Suzanne Sommers who is high on protein, fresh fruits and vegetables and is doing really, really well. She is not just a dumb blonde from a TV show or just another pretty face, but does lots of research and it seems to working well for her. Take everything with a grain of salt and do what works for you. I try to live a healthy life style, but I'll be damned if I will not have a delicious steak or a piece of chocolate so I can live a few more years to look back at all that I feel I missed. Just one person's opinion.

Many opinions mirror your's.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
VPL, I'm not commenting on the diet issue here, but I have to agree with Gracie that you should consider getting a television set. If you had one you might have seen the wonderful 6-hour documentary on PBS last week, "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies." In the Ken Burns' style it examined in great depth the history of man's struggle to understand this disease, the missteps and small victories against cancer.
Was it from a medical perspective or lifestyle/prevention perspective? I don't think I would be all that interested in the medical perspective, like what new treatments they're working on etc.. A cure is always just around the corner.

They often claim that getting tested for cancer = prevention. No, it's not prevention, it's detection. Many people live unhealthy lifestyles and wait for cancer to be detected. Living a healthy lifestyle lowers one's risk and that = prevention. That's my goal.

I have a 2014 book I will start reading tonight: "P53: The Gene That Cracked The Cancer Code". I hope it's interesting.

Anyway, what's the point of watching all those science shows on TV if the conclusion is that nothing matters, concerning one's liestyle? Maybe that's why so many people like those shows, they're told that science is going to develop a cure so they won't have to make any lifestyle changes. No effort required, just continue eating whatever pleases your taste.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Was it from a medical perspective or lifestyle/prevention perspective? I don't think I would be all that interested in the medical perspective, like what new treatments they're working on etc.. A cure is always just around the corner.

They often claim that getting tested for cancer = prevention. No, it's not prevention, it's detection. Many people live unhealthy lifestyles and wait for cancer to be detected. Living a healthy lifestyle lowers one's risk and that = prevention. That's my goal.

I have a 2014 book I will start reading tonight: "P53: The Gene That Cracked The Cancer Code". I hope it's interesting.

Anyway, what's the point of watching all those science shows on TV if the conclusion is that nothing matters, concerning one's liestyle? Maybe that's why so many people like those shows, they're told that science is going to develop a cure so they won't have to make any lifestyle changes. No effort required, just continue eating whatever pleases your taste.
You know, a person has to be alive and kicking' and not dying of cancer right now to be able to "make any lifestyle changes".

If afflicted people and their family caregivers having high probability genetically of getting it, AND the patient want to watch science develop new findings and breakthroughs so that others around them don't have to go thru the same thing, more power to them! Knowledge is power, regardless of whether you avoid getting cancer…..or whether you get it!

Either way, knowledge of the sciences and research is essential.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

So if Science did develop a cure so that one's lifestyle was not part of the equation, you would consider it a failure? I would absolutely change my diet to your extreme one if I thought it would guarantee me not getting cancer...... AND I would absolutely take a pill or get a shot if it would keep me from dying of something.

To me that proves an obsession with a certain diet. If something works, if a medicine makes it easier to stay healthy, if your blood pressure is controlled with a chemical, then you are helping yourself. The narrow path that you have chosen is not the only path to health in my opinion

I ask you again, if Science did develop a cure or a prevention for cancer, using chemicals or gene therapy that did NOT involve a change of life style, you would not be interested???????.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
If I were still smoking and needed an excuse to continue smoking, I would look for elderly people who smoked until they were in their mid to late 90s. The woman who lived to be the oldest in the world (122+ years) smoked until she was 100. Does that mean it's not a lifestyle risk?

Science never goes by what happens to one or two or a handful of lucky people. They would compare tens of thousands of smokers with tens of thousands of non smokers.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would absolutely change my diet to your extreme one if I thought it would guarantee me not getting cancer......
First, 5% of the population does not make it extreme.

Secondly, it's really not per se a diet change it's a lifestyle change

What if you could be assured never to get a heart attack, would you?

Question what aliments to be safeguarded against would you consider a change in diet?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
[/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=black]So if Science did develop a cure so that one's lifestyle was not part of the equation, you would consider it a failure?
No, I just wouldn't waste my time waiting and getting my hopes up for something that may never come. I have better things to do with my time rather than become obsessed with that perspective.

Quote:
I would absolutely change my diet to your extreme one if I thought it would guarantee me not getting cancer.....
The guarantee is that you would lower your risk. In my opinion, when people eat the same diet that promoted cancer in the first place, then it's likely to return. People in remission should be the most interested in doing something different.

Quote:
AND I would absolutely take a pill or get a shot if it would keep me from dying of something.
But what if there's no guarantee? I thought you would need a guarantee. My aunt took a lot of pills and got kidney failure.

Quote:
To me that proves an obsession with a certain diet.
Right, I'm obsessed with a diet that I love. I love healthy food.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Can any of you techies get this to link directly to the National Geographic article about the "Evolution of Diet"?

Here is the best I can do to link to that article.. I found it interesting since our friends here would only consider a diet to be the panacea for cancer and heart disease, as opposed to me who would do the Hokey Pokey to stay healthy if that is what it's about.

The Evolution of Diet - National Geographic
Old 04-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Sage

Interesting article from Johns Hopkins: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/...er_study_shows

Last edited by Carla B; 04-07-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Better Link
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Sage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
"However, he said: "If two-thirds of cancer incidence across tissues is explained by random DNA mutations that occur when stem cells divide, then changing our lifestyle and habits will be a huge help in preventing certain cancers, but this may not be as effective for a variety of others."

The cancers which, the researchers say, are still hugely influenced by lifestyle factors include colon cancer (diet and genes play a huge role)"
Old 04-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Sage

It took an hour to figure out how to link a website article in a post. Since I now know how, I edited the above post to link to the Johns Hopkins report of the study that formed the basis of the CNET article. I think it is a more believable source.

I wish that all cancers could be related to lifestyle choices. It's disappointing that they're not..
Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Sage
Default Protein activates genes, accelerates aging.

Genetics of OCD
Gerald Nestadt, Marco Grados, and J F Samuels

Additional article information

Abstract
Synopsis
OCD is a common debilitating condition affecting individuals from childhood through adult life. There is good evidence of genetic contribution to its etiology, but environmental risk factors also are likely to be involved. The condition probably has a complex pattern of inheritance. Molecular studies have identified several potentially relevant genes, but much additional research is needed to establish definitive causes of the condition.

You can find the article at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824902/

"Lay down on the couch and tell me about your childhood."
Old 04-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
"However, he said: "If two-thirds of cancer incidence across tissues is explained by random DNA mutations that occur when stem cells divide, then changing our lifestyle and habits will be a huge help in preventing certain cancers, but this may not be as effective for a variety of others."

The cancers which, the researchers say, are still hugely influenced by lifestyle factors include colon cancer (diet and genes play a huge role)"
Fascinating to hear the term "bad luck" about getting cancer in the CNET article.
As we all know, the danger of getting colon cancer can be minimized by having colonoscopies to identify and remove polyps.
I personally think that people who have a close, supportive circle of friends and the ability to laugh at themselves are the healthiest and happiest of people!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Fascinating to hear the term "bad luck" about getting cancer in the CNET article.
As we all know, the danger of getting colon cancer can be minimized by having colonoscopies to identify and remove polyps.
I personally think that people who have a close, supportive circle of friends and the ability to laugh at themselves are the healthiest and happiest of people!
Excellent post Bare. Your last sentence is very meaningful and one we seldom think about.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.