Psychiatrists?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2021, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Believe me, I'm trying
Hang in there. Caregivers also can feel a lot of stress.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:28 AM

Quote:
My neighbor has lost her husband, can't sleep, won't eat, very depressed. I believe she needs a psychiatrist. Do we have any good ones in the area??
Please remember, the medication she is seeking is for temporary use only. Even though she is not a church going person, I still suggest a free program called "Grief Share", available at many churches. Not only does this program help folks with their personal loss, but the additional benefit is that many times other friendships / relationships are begun there.

Also, I would suggest she seeks some part time volunteer work. Again, sometimes other friendships /relationships are born through the process of helping others.

I lost my wife of 50 years, I speak from experience.

Just trying to help.....
Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 AM
Veteran member

She doesn't need a psychiatrist, she needs grief counseling. And she can get that at Cornerstone Hospice in the Villages near 466
Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 AM
Default My thoughts…

I can understand your frustration. But I would surmise that the majority of seniors here cope with grief and major life changes without using psychiatrists. They can also be expensive.

Your friend does need professional help, though. In her depressive state where she’s not even eating or sleeping, church groups wouldn’t be a good fit. I’d say if you can’t get a good referral, Google psychiatrists nearby. There are a few board certified psychiatrists around. They have the credentials. Good luck and hope she feels better.
Quote:
This is hard to believe. With all the seniors here who move away from family, suffer losses of spouses, possible problems with he wants to live here, she wants to be up north etc... We have no psychiatrists, psychologists, here?? This needs to change!! I can see her anxiety is beyond my expertise so I was reaching out for Names. Tk u
Old 09-14-2021, 06:19 AM

Does she have any family?
Old 09-14-2021, 06:29 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

This thread has made clear that asking a simple medical question on this forum is as useless as asking for investment advice. A lot of jabber from people that have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Also she has done grief counseling already. She is beyond that and Needs some depression type med and anxiety. She has developed fears
Are you a dr? Seems you are coming up with a diagnosis of pumping her with pills. How about she go to her family dr first. Make sure there is no underlying issues and then have her Dr refer her IF necessary. I wouldnt listen to a friend telling me I needed to be inhaling drugs everyday either
Old 09-14-2021, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

The best is to call her insurance group. And yes there are psycs of both specialties here in fruitland park, Tavares, Leesburg
Old 09-14-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Because she NEEDS MEDICATIONS. CAN ANYONE JUST answer question please. Don't we have any mental health in the villages?? She is not a church goer
As a psychologist, medication should not be your first option. I lost two husbands to cancer. She needs group therapy with others who have experienced such loss. Medication will only mask her symptoms temporarily and possibly cause her to become addicted to benzodiazepines. I recommend Grief Share. There should be several of them in the area.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:07 AM

Meds right away …. Geez…..
Old 09-14-2021, 08:40 AM

I realize this may not actually help, but I can sympathize with you and your friend. I lost my wife of 46 years over 3 years ago. I went through all the recommendations with minimal or no success starting with my primary care physician and some medication, a church group, and so on. I was able to talk to friends and not a stranger or a group. I learned I did not have to be ashamed to cry in front of people as they cried with me. I learned many people really do mean well, but are not able to truly understand and actually help - you must seek out who is compatible and understanding and avoid those ineffective. After 2 years I found new insight online and with online videos, but again avoiding those who did not seem to be right for me. Some were doctors, ministers, and motivational speakers. The key for me was to seek out and follow those who made sense to me. So much time, money and energy is spent on "grief consoling" instead of "wellness consoling", but your friend has to progress through a couple of stages of grief to understand this. Stay with her, listen, and never mention getting used to the "new normal" that is often spoken of. I found that term very negative. My wife passed from AML and dozens of times I heard "Cancer sucks" & indeed it does. We reach a turning point and it takes as long as it takes but can't be forced. This turning point has to be accepted and will be triggered by whatever or whomever is effective and is not the same for any of us. Prescription meds are a very short term solution. I learned the answer is not booze - believe me I looked in the bottom of many bottles and it isn't there.
Be a listener, a shoulder to cry on, guide her to wellness counseling where she can learn to see positive things and slowly return to a better mental awareness. Willy Nelson has a line in a song that really hit me. "Losing someone is not something we get over. Its something we get through." I feel hearing that one day was the trigger to help me. Yes I still have "bad days" but they are far fewer, and I also learned I still haven't run out of tears after 3+ years. Be there for her, and as I said, it takes as long as it takes.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:41 AM
Default Therapist

Helen Ziecwieck at the Villages Heath Care in Pinellas Park. She worked with me when I was having problems being locked in my home because of Covid. Very sincere and caring.Call Pinellas Park Villages Healthcare for an appointment. We did most of my therapy over the computer because of Covid 19.

My neighbor has lost her husband, can't sleep, won't eat, very depressed. I believe she needs a psychiatrist. Do we have any good ones in the area??[/QUOTE]
Old 09-14-2021, 09:25 AM
Default Name of psychiatrists

I sent you a private message.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
My neighbor has lost her husband, can't sleep, won't eat, very depressed. I believe she needs a psychiatrist. Do we have any good ones in the area??

I suspect that her primary would be able to refer her to a psychiatrist in the area....

maybe she'll allow you to accompany her to visit her primary...and you'll be able to express your observations too

good luck...sounds like you're a good friend
Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Because she NEEDS MEDICATIONS. CAN ANYONE JUST answer question please. Don't we have any mental health in the villages?? She is not a church goer
Unless you are a trained diagnostician.... how can you determine that she needs "medication"? The others are absolutely correct.... what she needs more than anything right now is Grief Support and potentially speaking with a Counsellor. Unless she has a prior "mental health" history that you are aware (or her family) of.... then a Psychiatrist is NOT the answer.... If she lost her Husband and he was under Hospice care she is eligible for a minimum of 1 year follow up grief support. This is my background and expertise so I know what I am talking about. She is lucky to have a neighbor who cares about her to reach out... I just feel your suggestion for medication and a Psych Doc is a little out there. Maybe there are things going on that are none of any one on here's business and totally respect that... maybe she truly does need a Psych eval... I don't know.... but no sleep/no eat/no church does by no means mean you a mentally ill. It might mean you lost the love of your life and best friend and have no clue how you will go on. She will... she needs love/support and maybe some help... NOT friggin medication. Just my two cents. But, thank you for reaching out.... and, hopefully, if a Psych Doc is truly needed you will get some awesome recommendations on here.
Closed Thread

Tags
psychiatrists, good, psychiatrist, depressed, eat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.