Psychiatrists?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2021, 10:16 AM

Dr Joyce Smolarski
352-753-6887
Old 09-14-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Also she has done grief counseling already. She is beyond that and Needs some depression type med and anxiety. She has developed fears
I'm so sorry for your friends loss. I can't imagine how she feels. After my mom was killed, I layered up on everything; Counselor, church grief groups, church counseling, psychiatrist for meds, you name it. I did it to help me cope.
One of my counselors suggested I sign up for this daily email. Some days it was spot on, some days it wasn't. But it was something to help me cope. I'm hoping it'll help your friend. She's blessed to have you care for her and try and get her help.

GriefShare - Grief Recovery Support Groups - GriefShare
Old 09-14-2021, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
My neighbor has lost her husband, can't sleep, won't eat, very depressed. I believe she needs a psychiatrist. Do we have any good ones in the area??
I’m sorry you’re not getting the answers you’re looking for. I can’t imagine going to grief counseling. My friend just went after she lost a family member and ran out in tears vowing never to return. I would suggest finding a psychiatrist in the area as opposed to trying for a recommendation. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
This thread has made clear that asking a simple medical question on this forum is as useless as asking for investment advice. A lot of jabber from people that have no idea what they are talking about.
I agree that it should have been a simple question (sorry OP). Once again, the old saying comes true - "No good deed goes unpunished."
Old 09-14-2021, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1golfergal View Post
Unless you are a trained diagnostician.... how can you determine that she needs "medication"? The others are absolutely correct.... what she needs more than anything right now is Grief Support and potentially speaking with a Counsellor. Unless she has a prior "mental health" history that you are aware (or her family) of.... then a Psychiatrist is NOT the answer.... If she lost her Husband and he was under Hospice care she is eligible for a minimum of 1 year follow up grief support. This is my background and expertise so I know what I am talking about. She is lucky to have a neighbor who cares about her to reach out... I just feel your suggestion for medication and a Psych Doc is a little out there. Maybe there are things going on that are none of any one on here's business and totally respect that... maybe she truly does need a Psych eval... I don't know.... but no sleep/no eat/no church does by no means mean you a mentally ill. It might mean you lost the love of your life and best friend and have no clue how you will go on. She will... she needs love/support and maybe some help... NOT friggin medication. Just my two cents. But, thank you for reaching out.... and, hopefully, if a Psych Doc is truly needed you will get some awesome recommendations on here.
Interesting post….. how can YOU determine that everyone else is right, what she needs is grief counseling. Love and support. Lol do you not see that you’re doing exactly what you’re yelling at her for doing? How about just don’t answer if you don’t have the answer. You have your opinion of what she’s doing. Good lord. Double standard much?
Old 09-14-2021, 12:56 PM

She should be talking to her primary doctor for the information you are seeking. She will be directed to the proper person to help with her problem. She should not just choose a psychiatrist at random. I urge you to encourage her to talk to per primary doctor.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
This is hard to believe. With all the seniors here who move away from family, suffer losses of spouses, possible problems with he wants to live here, she wants to be up north etc... We have no psychiatrists, psychologists, here?? This needs to change!! I can see her anxiety is beyond my expertise so I was reaching out for Names. Tk u
There are plenty of the psychiatrists and psychologists here. She should be all means talk to her primary doctor for a referral. The Villages Health has several on staff.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
She also has spoken to her primary who prescribes Zoloft which did absolutely nothing for her. She's been through alot and Really needs a psychiatrist at this point. I have no idea where to look. Have searched for names but hate pulling one out of a hat. So much better when others may have found one to recommend. I am willing to drive her to Ocala or Leesburg if necessary
Zoloft takes some time to work. It is not an immediate relief.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I’m sorry you’re not getting the answers you’re looking for. I can’t imagine going to grief counseling. My friend just went after she lost a family member and ran out in tears vowing never to return. I would suggest finding a psychiatrist in the area as opposed to trying for a recommendation. Good luck.
Wow! I can't imagine NOT going to grief counseling. After losing my wife of 50 years, thru grief counseling, indirectly, I met someone who lost her husband. We have now been married for about 1 year and we have happily moved forward from our grief. I realize we all grieve differently, but your highlighted quote above is a bit over-stated, IMHO.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1golfergal View Post
Unless you are a trained diagnostician.... how can you determine that she needs "medication"? The others are absolutely correct.... what she needs more than anything right now is Grief Support and potentially speaking with a Counsellor. Unless she has a prior "mental health" history that you are aware (or her family) of.... then a Psychiatrist is NOT the answer.... If she lost her Husband and he was under Hospice care she is eligible for a minimum of 1 year follow up grief support. This is my background and expertise so I know what I am talking about. She is lucky to have a neighbor who cares about her to reach out... I just feel your suggestion for medication and a Psych Doc is a little out there. Maybe there are things going on that are none of any one on here's business and totally respect that... maybe she truly does need a Psych eval... I don't know.... but no sleep/no eat/no church does by no means mean you a mentally ill. It might mean you lost the love of your life and best friend and have no clue how you will go on. She will... she needs love/support and maybe some help... NOT friggin medication. Just my two cents. But, thank you for reaching out.... and, hopefully, if a Psych Doc is truly needed you will get some awesome recommendations on here.
I agree. The meds she is seeking are just a band aid...which is OK for some temporary relief. But, as we all know, they do not work long term.....Yes, it's tough to get through this, but Grief share, keeping busy, and making new friends is a way forward. Maybe it will not work for her, but it does work for most.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:14 PM

Dr James M Moore, Licensed Psychologist
Caring, compassionate, excellent listener; highly recommend.
Appts: 352-787-0081
Offices in Lady Lake, Leesburg; will do teletherapy
Old 09-14-2021, 03:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

If the situation did not appear so serious I likely would have laughed heartily at many of the responses, the unsubstantiated diagnoses, the wide spectrum of off the wall opinions, blah, blah, blah.

What the OP is seeking is a referral to a psychiatrist (an MD, not a PhD psychologist or MA counselor, or group therapy, informal or formal) who could conduct a medical evaluation and recommend, direct or proceed with some form of treatment to help get her friend through her grieving process and hopefully back to functioning and living her life as best she can.

One would think Central Florida would be replete with psychiatrists as well as other mental health professionals of every stripe who have extensive experience dealing with issues the elderly face such as the deaths of long term spouses.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-14-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
If the situation did not appear so serious I likely would have laughed heartily at many of the responses, the unsubstantiated diagnoses, the wide spectrum of off the wall opinions, blah, blah, blah.

What the OP is seeking is a referral to a psychiatrist (an MD, not a PhD psychologist or MA counselor, or group therapy, informal or formal) who could conduct a medical evaluation and recommend, direct or proceed with some form of treatment to help get her friend through her grieving process and hopefully back to functioning and living her life as best she can.

One would think Central Florida would be replete with psychiatrists as well as other mental health professionals of every stripe who have extensive experience dealing with issues the elderly face such as the deaths of long term spouses.
Anyone who writes a post on TOTV is liable to get many different opinions. While it is true that most are not professional opinions, they are, however, efforts to help through personal experiences.
Your highlighted response is a bit insulting and inappropriate to those who are honestly trying to help.
And so, what help has your post offered?? Maybe you've been too busy counting and criticizing the "Off the wall opinions"? blah, blah, blah
Old 09-15-2021, 03:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Wow! I can't imagine NOT going to grief counseling. After losing my wife of 50 years, thru grief counseling, indirectly, I met someone who lost her husband. We have now been married for about 1 year and we have happily moved forward from our grief. I realize we all grieve differently, but your highlighted quote above is a bit over-stated, IMHO.
You misread. I’m talking about ME…. Personally… Grief counseling can work wonders for those who it benefits. There are some types of personalities that cannot do grief counseling. Those with actual anxiety issues. Consider yourself lucky you don’t have any. I’m so happy for you and your wife. That’s awesome. See, IMHO, i can understand others issues. Grief counseling didn’t work for the OP and I’m letting her know that it doesn’t work for everyone and she has other options. Like the one she inquired about originally. Just because it’s not for you, doesn’t mean it’s not for her.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
You misread. I’m talking about ME…. Personally… Grief counseling can work wonders for those who it benefits. There are some types of personalities that cannot do grief counseling. Those with actual anxiety issues. Consider yourself lucky you don’t have any. I’m so happy for you and your wife. That’s awesome. See, IMHO, i can understand others issues. Grief counseling didn’t work for the OP and I’m letting her know that it doesn’t work for everyone and she has other options. Like the one she inquired about originally. Just because it’s not for you, doesn’t mean it’s not for her.
OK, sorry I misread your post.
Closed Thread

Tags
psychiatrists, good, psychiatrist, depressed, eat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.