Purchasing health insurance

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2017, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Purchasing health insurance

Does anyone know why the government restricts purchasing health insurance to only a short period of time each year?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

When I was working, every year I had to sign up for my health coverage during the open enrollment period, exactly as in the ACA. Not an unusual thing.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

It is because the premiums are priced on an annual basis and you are locked in for a year. Otherwise, people could switch back and forth from policy to policy depending on what they need to be covered at a specific time.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is because the premiums are priced on an annual basis and you are locked in for a year. Otherwise, people could switch back and forth from policy to policy depending on what they need to be covered at a specific time.

It is possible to switch between supplement plans if you do so with the same insurer. I switched from plan N to Plan F during 2017. And I did it exactly to upgrade my coverage. It’s completely legitimate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
It is possible to switch between supplement plans if you do so with the same insurer. I switched from plan N to Plan F during 2017. And I did it exactly to upgrade my coverage. It’s completely legitimate.

We are currently on Plan N and my understanding is Plan F will be phased out. The concern would be if there are not additional clients added to Plan F, the premiums would be more likely to rise? We were interested in Plan F. Could you tell me why you switched?
Old 11-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We are currently on Plan N and my understanding is Plan F will be phased out. The concern would be if there are not additional clients added to Plan F, the premiums would be more likely to rise? We were interested in Plan F. Could you tell me why you switched?

For more coverage. I’m facing some additional physician visits and procedures on a regular basis. I’ll be surprised if Plan N is phased out. If it is, though, the insurer will frequently grandfather the insured if they wish. Years ago Plan J was cancelled. However I have friends who are still on it.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
For more coverage. I’m facing some additional physician visits and procedures on a regular basis. I’ll be surprised if Plan N is phased out. If it is, though, the insurer will frequently grandfather the insured if they wish. Years ago Plan J was cancelled. However I have friends who are still on it.

Thank you for your response. I guess we will stay with N for now.

Tags
purchasing, insurance, health, short, period

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.