Question about Bat encounter

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2021, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Went up the hill to see the beautiful moon tonight and had a bat land on my arm, made a squeak and flew away! Felt like a poke in the arm but no sign of penetration to the skin, just some redness.. what medical symptoms should I watch for? I am not planning to go to the hospital with all this Covid going around! slightly concerned
Are you sure it was a bat? Thats very odd for a bat to land on someone. They may swoop down at you but never heard of them landing like that. I would definitely not wait and get to an ER. Another poster was correct. The skin puncture could be very tiny and not visible to you. Plus, where was this thing flying around? Did you only see one or was there a nest of them?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Getting shots all is good! I did enjoy the humorous reply's ..TY
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 AM

Call the doctor. Don’t take a chance.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:37 AM

By the time you have symptoms you will be to far gone to save if it had rabies. My sons friend in high school died from that disease. Did not tell his parents until he was sick. Went into a coma in hours and died. Start the shots immediately
Old 03-02-2021, 09:09 AM
Default Bat

Quote:
Went up the hill to see the beautiful moon tonight and had a bat land on my arm, made a squeak and flew away! Felt like a poke in the arm but no sign of penetration to the skin, just some redness.. what medical symptoms should I watch for? I am not planning to go to the hospital with all this Covid going around! slightly concerned
You may have been exposed to rabies - I would be concerned and definitely call my doctor
Old 03-02-2021, 09:09 AM

I agree 1000%. Bats, especially baby ones, have tiny, tiny teeth... smaller than a hypodermic. I would wager you got bit, not poked by a claw. This is nothing to mess around with. Unless you caught the bat, and it can be tested, get yourself to a clinic to get checked out.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Default Bat

Quote:
Please go to the doctor immediately. Let him/her be the judge as to treatment. My call is get rabies shots. Prayers
Old 03-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Watching for symptoms of rabies is not a viable option. Once symptoms appear you will need to be arranging your memorial service. There is no treatment for rabies. There is prevention which must be started within days of your bat exposure.

First thing, if you just like playing the odds there are fewer than five deaths per year in the US from rabies so the likelihood that you are heading toward Old Yeller territory is slim, very slim, but not zero.

As you know you had a bat exposure and you wrote that you experienced a poke feeling then the animal potentially broke your skin. The bite mark left by a bat can be so small as to not be visible. Here is the CDC recommendation on assessing your risk

It is absolutely not normal behavior for a bat to land on a human.

To summarize
1. You know a bat behaving abnormally landed on you
2. You felt a poke to your skin
3. Rabies is essentially 100% fatal
4. Rabies is essentially 100% preventable with rabies shots in your arm
5. The odds are the bat was not rabid. Are you feeling lucky?

Contact your local county health department for guidance. Sumter County's phone is

352-569-3102

Obviously Covid calls may make it more difficult to get through but the local health dept. is your best resource. You do not need to go to an ER for rabies evaluation.
That was an incredibly great informative post. Keep commenting. Your comments are like taking a University class. Thank You!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Are you sure it was a bat? Thats very odd for a bat to land on someone. They may swoop down at you but never heard of them landing like that. I would definitely not wait and get to an ER. Another poster was correct. The skin puncture could be very tiny and not visible to you. Plus, where was this thing flying around? Did you only see one or was there a nest of them?
It is odd, but happens. There are bats all around the Villages, in big trees.......
Old 03-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
By the time symptoms of rabies happen it is too late to do anything about it. Go to the ER immediately!
Closed Thread

Tags
bat, arm, redness, medical, symptoms

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.