Question about Doctors performing Knee Replacements

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Default Question about Doctors performing Knee Replacements

I think I'm due for a knee replacement and would like some input from the TOTV community as to a doctor they would recommend. I've looked at previous threads but they are very old and I wonder if the recommendations are still applicable.

The 3 names in those old post were John Williams (here in The Villages), Vuong Nquyen (Orlando), and James Duke (Ocala).

Also, I've heard that you can't get down on your knees after a knee replacement. Since this would result in a knee replacement in both knees, I'm wondering if any of you have had problems with this situation. Seems like there is always an occasion when I've got to get on at least one knee to do something. Because I've currently only got one of the knees replaced, it hasn't been a problem but I'm concerned about this as well. Any input you can offer will really be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:42 AM

After much research my wife chose Dr. Nguyen. Much quicker recovery.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Gold member

I used Nguyen in Orlando to do both my knees last year. The one done in January 19 is to this date 11 months and feels absolutly perfect.

I had my second done in June 19, and at my last office visit which was Dec, 6 months, I was feeling very sore, still. I also happened to see the x-rays and discovered that he had missed a bone fragment, about the size of my big fingernail.....!!!!!

The PA said and I quote.... "It Happens"..... "and that there is nothing we can do for it now"....and the worse thing that it will do is effect my ability to bend as much as it would have.

Now because I know this information... my mind is playing tricks on me....and my knee is regressing.....

Not saying this couldn't happen to any MD, but just thought I would let you know my experience.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

I used Dr. Karina at Unova (lady lake). He did both of my knees, one partial, one full. Very short recovery time and I'm back playing softball!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I used Nguyen in Orlando to do both my knees last year. The one done in January 19 is to this date 11 months and feels absolutly perfect.

I had my second done in June 19, and at my last office visit which was Dec, 6 months, I was feeling very sore, still. I also happened to see the x-rays and discovered that he had missed a bone fragment, about the size of my big fingernail.....!!!!!

The PA said and I quote.... "It Happens"..... "and that there is nothing we can do for it now"....and the worse thing that it will do is effect my ability to bend as much as it would have.

Now because I know this information... my mind is playing tricks on me....and my knee is regressing.....

Not saying this couldn't happen to any MD, but just thought I would let you know my experience.
Have you seen the doctor since you found out there is a bone fragment in there that should not be there? Can you even see the doctor or you see only the PA?
Old 01-08-2020, 01:58 PM

What have you all been told about kneeling? Is that something I'm going to have to avoid? Or are you able to get down on a knee?
Old 01-08-2020, 03:33 PM

I had my left knee replaced several years ago by a doctor at Villages Health Specialty. Two months ago I had my right knee replaced by Dr Duke. I very much prefer Dr Duke.

Healing is going very well. My mobility is great. Staff is wonderful and caring. No bits left behind.

Some prefer Dr Nguyen because of the quick recovery time. He uses a unique, non-standard approach. He says his non-standard approach involves not having to cut muscles. I say that I am ok with a slightly longer recovery as long as the end result is great. My doctors say that they do not cut any muscles. I was up and walking with a walker the evening after surgery. Why is Dr Nguyen the only doctor to use this approach and the rest of the medical world uses the standard approach?

As far as kneeling - I don't even want to try it yet. Dr Duke re-used my own capela (knee cap) and added some cushioning behind it. Maybe after healing is further along? For sure I will never kneel on my left knee, not even on a soft cushion.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Sage

Great results with Dr. Duke here.

I hear good things about Dr. Nguyen. I’m sure he is very good. But I can’t imagine recovery time could be much quicker than I had with Dr. Duke. I was walking a bit before I left the hospital and getting back to my activities in between one and two weeks, depending on the activity.

Whichever doctor you choose, do the therapy they recommend! I’m a firm believer it can make all the difference regarding successful joint replacement surgery.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:30 PM

For those of you who used Dr. Duke, just out of curiosity, what hospital did your surgery?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:35 PM

My husband has had Dr. Nguyen replace both of his knees. The first one was in May of 2018. The other one was the end of September of last year. He wouldn't use anyone else. As far as kneeling, the doctor gave the OK after 6 months. He just went for his 3 month follow up on the second knee and everything is great. He was able to play golf (full swing) after 7 to 8 weeks in each instance. At 6 weeks, he was back to doing all of his own yard work. He walks 3 to 4 miles any day he isn't golfing. Just be prepared to do ALL of the PT and at-home exercises that are prescribed. His surgery was early morning both times and actually had some PT later that same afternoon. Before going home the next day, he had to attend a PT boot camp as well as walk completely around the unit's floor. He never had to even use a walker once he was home for the first knee, and only for a day or two for the second one. But he was very diligent in doing all of the exercises. Don't think you're being a he-man by not taking the pain meds either. If you don't take the meds, you are not able to do the exercises and you just screw yourself up. Remember that you will only get out of it what you put into it! Good luck!!
Old 01-08-2020, 05:49 PM

I had Williams do mine three years ago and I would not recommend him or his staff. My knee is still much larger than the other one due to all the scar tissue left behind. Just remember on any given day even the best makes a mistake. The side process that Nguyen uses I'm told is his patent, and anyone wanting to use that must pay him to do so. If that is fact I do not know.
I have special knee pads that I use that are air filled and they allow me to get down on my right knee. I'm not aggressive about it and I do not look forward to having to do so but have found a way that it works.
Good luck with whomever you decide on, and has been mentioned do not miss a day of exercise. Force the knee to bend and that hurts but you have to get through it.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
For those of you who used Dr. Duke, just out of curiosity, what hospital did your surgery?
Dr Duke operates at West Marion Community Hospital. It is in Ocala, just west of I-75. It has a wing dedicated to hip and knee replacements.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I think I'm due for a knee replacement and would like some input from the TOTV community as to a doctor they would recommend. I've looked at previous threads but they are very old and I wonder if the recommendations are still applicable.

The 3 names in those old post were John Williams (here in The Villages), Vuong Nquyen (Orlando), and James Duke (Ocala).

Also, I've heard that you can't get down on your knees after a knee replacement. Since this would result in a knee replacement in both knees, I'm wondering if any of you have had problems with this situation. Seems like there is always an occasion when I've got to get on at least one knee to do something. Because I've currently only got one of the knees replaced, it hasn't been a problem but I'm concerned about this as well. Any input you can offer will really be appreciated.
I had Dr Duke do my left knee and Dr Nguyen did the right. The left knee was the worst but the recovery was long and I took a lot of pain meds, although I can't say anything bad about Dr Duke. Dr Nguyen's side I recuperated fairly rapidly and took very little medication. I walked sooner and more after Dr Nguyen's surgery. Now I am having problems with my left knee and I may have to have more surgery (it's been 8 years). But Dr Nguyen's right side is still good. And they both told me to stay off my knees, but, no one will have to tell you because it will hurt to kneel.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 AM

I had Dr Steve Nguyen in Orlando. He Developed his own procedure. He goes in from the side, And had almost full range of motion after surgery as I lost some extension to the knee prior to the surgery and had PT to regain it. I walking immediately, two days with pain killers. I can kneel on it, and go up and down stairs easily. I play pickleball and golf. No pain. His staff was great.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 AM

My husband used Dr David Ethier, in The Villages, last year. Great experience. Total knee replacement, and scar is on the side of his knee, not the top of kneecap.
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, knees, replacement, input, result

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.