Question about Doctors performing Knee Replacements

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2020, 07:05 AM
Thumbs up Knee replacement

I had a hip and a knee replaced by Dr Messiah and am very pleased. He also does not cut muscles and the recovery time is very short. He only has office hours in The Villages on Wednesdays and the hospitals that he practices at are a bit of a drive from here but I think it's worth it.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:40 AM
Default Dr. Messieh is great. 😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I think I'm due for a knee replacement and would like some input from the TOTV community as to a doctor they would recommend. I've looked at previous threads but they are very old and I wonder if the recommendations are still applicable.

The 3 names in those old post were John Williams (here in The Villages), Vuong Nquyen (Orlando), and James Duke (Ocala).

Also, I've heard that you can't get down on your knees after a knee replacement. Since this would result in a knee replacement in both knees, I'm wondering if any of you have had problems with this situation. Seems like there is always an occasion when I've got to get on at least one knee to do something. Because I've currently only got one of the knees replaced, it hasn't been a problem but I'm concerned about this as well. Any input you can offer will really be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:45 AM

Dr perry in eustis. You will be on your feet and walking in no time. On YouTube look up muscle sparing knee surgery. You will be amazed. I have personally experienced this. At least get an opinion from dr perry. You wont be sorry. Best wishes.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM
Default Knee replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I think I'm due for a knee replacement and would like some input from the TOTV community as to a doctor they would recommend. I've looked at previous threads but they are very old and I wonder if the recommendations are still applicable.

The 3 names in those old post were John Williams (here in The Villages), Vuong Nquyen (Orlando), and James Duke (Ocala).

Also, I've heard that you can't get down on your knees after a knee replacement. Since this would result in a knee replacement in both knees, I'm wondering if any of you have had problems with this situation. Seems like there is always an occasion when I've got to get on at least one knee to do something. Because I've currently only got one of the knees replaced, it hasn't been a problem but I'm concerned about this as well. Any input you can offer will really be appreciated.
Dr Nguyen did both my knees 4 years ago. Excellent results...surgery at 7am, home by 1pm for lunch and walked down the street and back at 4pm. Back to golfing in about 6-8 weeks and pickleball in about 4 months. I can get down on my knees on a cushiony pad during exercise classes. Doing the surgery from the side of the knee was instrumental in the quick recovery. It is nice to have someone at home to help but you can walk to fix meals etc from day one! Good luck!
Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Love Dr John Williams. He did both of my knees at once. Also did my husbands hips and 1 knee. If you put a pillow under your knee you can get down on your knees. I have done it.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:59 AM

Had surgery with dr James Duke 5 years ago he is the best if knee is real bad can do anything has seen everything ,fell on it 2 years ago was at 2 home in Massachusetts drs look at X-ray all knee work still in tack like what they saw no one here could have done that? Side cut less invasive faster recovery but can’t be done on all knees people say there dr was great but ,knee probably was that bad ,when other doctors are impressed that’s the one you want!
Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 AM

Dr Nguyen did my right knee. His PAs encouraged me to kneel every daily since it helps with stretching. I can kneel on a pad, but I don't like to do it for a long period of time.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 AM

Dr. Timothy van de Leur, The Orthopaedic Institute Lady Lake (and Ocala) Home - The Orthopaedic Institute - Improving Lives Everyday For Over 30 Years 352.633.7222 He has replaced over 25 knees and hips in my neighborhood alone and folks that need a second always go back to Dr. Tim. I had a left knee replacement in June and am 100% doing pickleball, biking 15 miles per day and other activities. I am also a CPR / AED Instructor and on my knees for at least half the class .. no problem. I would certainly recommend that you visit Dr. Tim. BTW the OI is a complete one stop shop including X-Rays and Rehab.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Default Dr Messieh in TV and Clermont

I used Dr Messieh. While it's not the same feeling, I can crawl on both knees. The replaced knee works wonderfully. He uses the lateral method like Dr Ngyuan (sic) and the shorter, less painful recovery was wonderful. I did my own therapy and was back golfing 18 in 8 weeks. I have full motion, no pain and can move in any direction. He's a single practitioner with a great staff. If I need any ortho hip, knee or shoulder surgery, he's my go-to doctor.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 AM

I have had both knees replaced by Dr. Nguyen in Orlando and I highly recommend him. I was back teaching my aerobic dance class 5 weeks after the first one, and 3 weeks after the second one.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

I have had 7 knee surgeries and both knees replaced. It is difficult for me to kneel, especially on the knee that has had a total of 6 surgeries. I have an appointment with Dr Messiah for a possible hip replacement. I’ve heard great things about him and he was referred by a neighbor. My surgeon that did my prior surgeries is in NJ and he researched Dr Messieh and said he was who I should go to in FL. Good luck to you. You will be happy you have replaced your knees but it is a painful recovery. Work hard at rehabilitating your knees and you will be successful. I wish you the best whomever you go to.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:36 PM

Thank you to all your advice. With all the suggestions, I guess now all I have to do is pick one and call for an appointment.

For those of you that have recommended Dr. Duke in Ocala I have one more question. I've heard that you meet with the PA first and they try to do a number of things before they schedule surgery. This seems like it may be a long time before my first appointment and the surgery. Since I am a Seasonal resident here in The Villages, I think I may need to speed the process so I am good to travel in May. Did you find there was a long delay from your first visit?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage

It's a long time to schedule Dr. Nguyen between the first appt. and surgery. Had first appt. in September and first available surgery date was February 14.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:00 PM

I have had both knees replaced in the last 2 years. The First by Dr. Duke, the surgery went well and I was back to normal (their term) activities in a little over a month. However now after 2 years I still have pain in the nerves from the surgery. After discussing this at every appointment (always with the PA or nurse-never the Doctor)) and being told each time that it would just take longer (up to a year) they told me at my 1 year follow up that it would probably never get any better. Dr Messieh in Winter Haven did my 2nd knee and I was playing golf after 2 weeks (Yes 2) and to this day have had no pain in the knee. Without going into too much detail, the side option from dr messieh was less painful, recovery was quick and somewhat pain free. More importantly to me was seeing the Doctor and having him address my concerns and take action at every visit. Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
I had my left knee replaced several years ago by a doctor at Villages Health Specialty. Two months ago I had my right knee replaced by Dr Duke. I very much prefer Dr Duke.

Healing is going very well. My mobility is great. Staff is wonderful and caring. No bits left behind.

Some prefer Dr Nguyen because of the quick recovery time. He uses a unique, non-standard approach. He says his non-standard approach involves not having to cut muscles. I say that I am ok with a slightly longer recovery as long as the end result is great. My doctors say that they do not cut any muscles. I was up and walking with a walker the evening after surgery. Why is Dr Nguyen the only doctor to use this approach and the rest of the medical world uses the standard approach?

As far as kneeling - I don't even want to try it yet. Dr Duke re-used my own capela (knee cap) and added some cushioning behind it. Maybe after healing is further along? For sure I will never kneel on my left knee, not even on a soft cushion.
My wife had her knee surgery performed by Dr. John Williams at TVRH. She experienced great results. Hers and our quality of life improved dramatically.

On the day prior to her surgery, we discussed the standard versus non-standard procedure. Dr. Williams uses the standard procedure which has a longer recovery period. Dr. Williams did say that about 30% of his knee surgeries are to repair previous surgeries, with a large portion being repairs following the non-standard method. He explained that the surgical entry from the side greatly limited the visibility on the inside area of the knee. If the prosthesis isn't perfectly aligned, a 2nd surgery will most likely be required because the patient will experience chronic pain. The prosthesis never "wears in". You either get it repaired or live with the pain for the remainder of your life.

As for kneeling, my wife is limited in the amount of kneeling she can perform. I believe it comes as one of those outcomes for this type of surgery.

Tags
knee, knees, replacement, input, result

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.