Thanked 14,039 Times in 5,331 Posts

The more we hear the less we know what to believe. Sad but very true
Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
There are a lot of clinical trials going on right now using HCQ plus other drugs. Some as a treatment for covid 19 patients

Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc With Either Azithromycin or Doxycycline for Treatment of COVID-19 in Outpatient Setting - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

And some using the drugs as a prophylactic like this one with front line medical workers.

Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin as Prophylaxis for Healthcare Workers Dealing With COVID19 Patients - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Trump did not just pull HCQ out of a hat. Lots of DOCTORS have told him that they think it works. When the numerous clinical trials publish their results, I will post about them. Clinical trials are expensive, they don't just start them on a hunch, there are over 100 involving HCQ

Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin as Prophylaxis for Healthcare Workers Dealing With COVID19 Patients - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
The sponsor of one of these studies is St. Francis Hospital in New York. (I have not heard of it)st. francis hospital new york city - Bing

The other two, which appears to be the same one is the King Hussein Health Center in Jordan. (I have not heard of it)

where is king hussein cancer center - Bing
Old 05-19-2020, 08:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The sponsor of one of these studies is St. Francis Hospital in New York. (I have not heard of it)st. francis hospital new york city - Bing

The other two, which appears to be the same one is the King Hussein Health Center in Jordan. (I have not heard of it)

where is king hussein cancer center - Bing
Let's see, want to test a drug as prophylactic against highly infectious disease in a high risk environment. Gee, maybe use a hospital with active covid 19 patients. Last time I checked, there are over 150 trials involving HCQ all over the world, including in the USA

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-19-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
That high level user who just announced he was taking it said that a lot of doctor's and other front-line heroes were also doing it and he's received lots of calls touting the use of it. Can't you just take his word for it?
His word?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
His word?
Jackson and Coker, a healthcare staffing firm, did a survey of 1,200 doctors nationwide and found that 65 percent would prescribe the drug to their family if they were infected with the Wuhan coronavirus, with 66 percent saying they would take the drug themselves:

Sixty-five percent of physicians across the United States said they would prescribe the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine to treat or prevent COVID- 19 in a family member, according to a new survey released today by Jackson & Coker, one of the country’s largest physician staffing firms.

Only 11 percent said they would not use the drug at all.

Meanwhile, 30 percent of the surveyed doctors said they would prescribe the medications to a family member prior to the onset of symptoms if they had been exposed to COVID-19, a highly contagious virus that causes a pneumonia-like infection of the lungs.

“Working in healthcare, we’ve learned the best way to get a candid perspective on treatment options from a physician is to ask: ‘Would you give this to your family?’” said Tim Fischer, President of Jackson & Coker. “Families across the U.S. – and the world really – want to know what they can do to protect and save their loved ones.”
Jackson & Coker conducted the survey of 1,271 physicians from 50 states from April 4 to April 7. It conducted the survey not to influence the debate in treating patients with anti-malarials but to make sure the voice of physicians is represented. It has a margin of error of +/- 3 percent with a 95 percent confidence level of the doctors surveyed.

Treating COVID-19 with Anti-Malaria Drugs- Physician Poll Results
Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Jackson and Coker, a healthcare staffing firm, did a survey of 1,200 doctors nationwide and found that 65 percent would prescribe the drug to their family if they were infected with the Wuhan coronavirus, with 66 percent saying they would take the drug themselves:

Sixty-five percent of physicians across the United States said they would prescribe the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine to treat or prevent COVID- 19 in a family member, according to a new survey released today by Jackson & Coker, one of the country’s largest physician staffing firms.

Only 11 percent said they would not use the drug at all.

Meanwhile, 30 percent of the surveyed doctors said they would prescribe the medications to a family member prior to the onset of symptoms if they had been exposed to COVID-19, a highly contagious virus that causes a pneumonia-like infection of the lungs.

“Working in healthcare, we’ve learned the best way to get a candid perspective on treatment options from a physician is to ask: ‘Would you give this to your family?’” said Tim Fischer, President of Jackson & Coker. “Families across the U.S. – and the world really – want to know what they can do to protect and save their loved ones.”
Jackson & Coker conducted the survey of 1,271 physicians from 50 states from April 4 to April 7. It conducted the survey not to influence the debate in treating patients with anti-malarials but to make sure the voice of physicians is represented. It has a margin of error of +/- 3 percent with a 95 percent confidence level of the doctors surveyed.

Treating COVID-19 with Anti-Malaria Drugs- Physician Poll Results
This survey was done April 8 when everyone was grasping at straws. Study results have come in since then and the results for HCQ have been disappointing.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
His word?
Well, it seems there's an awfully large number of people who do just that. Me? I'm kind of a contrarian, who uses 180 degree BS barometer. When I hear certain things, from certain people, I go with the idea that the exact opposite - is more likely the truth. All the way back to pre-school, I've been a bad herd follower and usually failed the 'lemming test.'
Old 05-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Let's see, want to test a drug as prophylactic against highly infectious disease in a high risk environment. Gee, maybe use a hospital with active covid 19 patients. Last time I checked, there are over 150 trials involving HCQ all over the world, including in the USA
My high school English teacher told us never to talk down in a debate.

I learned this just recently, no matter how much you stand in principal for a group, you must not have blind loyalty to a cause or a person.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:05 AM
Platinum member

VA study was a retrospective study, had the sickest patients in the HCQ group and proved that old black vets with a host of health problems die from covid 19 no matter what you do.

Most Doctors using HCQ report best results using it early, not when the patient is in IC about to go on ventilator. Many also say using zinc with HCQ is best.

Prescriptions for HCQ are still soaring worldwide. Many pharmaceutical distributors had to make rules about HCQ because so many Doctors were writing prescriptions for themselves and their families.

Clinical trials cost millions of dollars, currently there are 150 involving HCQ.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Well, it seems there's an awfully large number of people who do just that. Me? I'm kind of a contrarian, who uses 180 degree BS barometer. When I hear certain things, from certain people, I go with the idea that the exact opposite - is more likely the truth. All the way back to pre-school, I've been a bad herd follower and usually failed the 'lemming test.'
In my younger years I was very full of good thoughts and aspirations and I sat on one side of the aisle. As I grew older I became a bit more realistic and realized how hard I was working when others were not, so I switched seats.

It is very hard for any of us to admit we are wrong or the person we think we stand with is wrong. Getting to the bottom line is an admirable skill that few have. I do so dislike it when I don't have a good choice.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:13 AM

Often actions speak with more truth than words.

Doctors and dentists have been called out by pharmacists because they have hoarded hydroxycholriquine. Many articles have been published about this activity, including in the NYT and others. This one is from March but the motive behind the hoarding is pertinent:

Hydroxychloroquine May Not Work Against COVID-19, But Hoarding's Already A Problem : Shots - Health News : NPR

So if doctors and dentists want to secure large personal supplies of it, don’t you think they believe it has beneficial properties? Hoarding large quantities also seems to indicate planned prophylactic use (before becoming very sick/hospitalized) since treatments of advanced disease actually has fewer recommended doses in total. we should be concerned that this may be yet another instance of those who make the rules not following them. “Do as I say, not as I do!” could cause many to needlessly suffer or even die.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,783 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
His word?
Yes, his word. It’s now being revealed that the dishonest one left the building before he arrived. Always political from you lately.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
This survey was done April 8 when everyone was grasping at straws. Study results have come in since then and the results for HCQ have been disappointing.
They are still grasping at straws. Remdesivir trial was not a huge success and was criticized by lots of Doctors because they changed their endpoints during the study. It had no statistical effect on death rates, and merely managed to shorten hospital stays from 14 to 11 days. Its currently in short supply anyway and you can't take unless you are in the hospital.

Regardless of your politics, you should be hoping that HCQ works as a curative or prophylactic. It's cheap, made all over the world, and you can take it before you go to the hospital when you first get symptoms. If it works as a prophylactic that's even better. We will know when we get results from all the clinical trials underway are completed.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:43 AM

To GoodLife:

Thank you for starting this thread. Your posts are well-written and your citations are appreciated. It is difficult to stay informed about the current studies and their findings. Since knowledge is power, you have shared some power with those of us who may need it most.

Early on, when demographic statistics about who is most vulnerable were first being released, The Villages and all Florida’s senior population seemed like a huge bunch of sitting ducks. I am extremely grateful that is not what happened! But we will be well-served by remaining vigilant about staying well-informed as we move forward. It’s bad enough being vulnerable to an invisible viral invader but we are also vulnerable to misinformation, ignorance and denial which may be just as dangerous.

Thank you & stay strong.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
The more we hear the less we know what to believe. Sad but very true
There are very few absolutes in health. If we want a miracle, we are looking in all the wrong places.
Closed Thread

Tags
remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, patients, studies, hcq

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.