Remdesivir vs Hydroxychloroquine

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
To GoodLife:

Thank you for starting this thread. Your posts are well-written and your citations are appreciated. It is difficult to stay informed about the current studies and their findings. Since knowledge is power, you have shared some power with those of us who may need it most.

Early on, when demographic statistics about who is most vulnerable were first being released, The Villages and all Florida’s senior population seemed like a huge bunch of sitting ducks. I am extremely grateful that is not what happened! But we will be well-served by remaining vigilant about staying well-informed as we move forward. It’s bad enough being vulnerable to an invisible viral invader but we are also vulnerable to misinformation, ignorance and denial which may be just as dangerous.

Thank you & stay strong.
Thanks! I am one of the few posters here who actually posts links and sources instead of pulling opinions out of my rear end.

Not hard to figure out why some would like to shut me up.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...He didn't just go off on his own? ...This is the second terribly outrageous medical faux pas that will have repercussions in how people check off things in November.
The White House Doctor prescribed it and both of them have the responsibility to best protect his life. The “repercussions in how people check things off in November” may be that his name will appear on every ballot because he is still alive and well.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
That high level user who just announced he was taking it said that a lot of doctor's and other front-line heroes were also doing it and he's received lots of calls touting the use of it. Can't you just take his word for it?
Did you read the linked documents that started this thread? The letter to the Gov. clearly stated HCQ use is widespread globally.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 PM
Platinum member

Here's a larger study testing whether Hydroxychloroquine can prevent covid 19 in hospital workers and others exposed to the virus

Dr. Boulware is overseeing a clinical trial at the U to determine whether hydroxychloroquine is effective in preventing the coronavirus. They currently have about 1500 front line medical workers and first responders nationwide taking part. The participants take a safe dose once or twice a week, and researchers are checking whether those people contract COVID-19.

The U will be the first to publish results of such a study, Boulware said. They expect to see preliminary data in about a month. But he adds they still want to get about 3000 participants and will finish the study sooner with more participants.

Boulware says lab experiments have found the drug can prevent the coronavirus from infecting cells. But they need to find out if the same is true for people who take the pill.

COVID-19 Clinical Trial Launches at University of Minnesota | Medical School - University of Minnesota
Old 05-21-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
They are still grasping at straws. Remdesivir trial was not a huge success and was criticized by lots of Doctors because they changed their endpoints during the study. It had no statistical effect on death rates, and merely managed to shorten hospital stays from 14 to 11 days. Its currently in short supply anyway and you can't take unless you are in the hospital.

Regardless of your politics, you should be hoping that HCQ works as a curative or prophylactic. It's cheap, made all over the world, and you can take it before you go to the hospital when you first get symptoms. If it works as a prophylactic that's even better. We will know when we get results from all the clinical trials underway are completed.
I agree with you on Remdesivir and have indeed been hoping for the best with HCQ for the reasons you state. The original non-peer reviewed study from France touted it as having value as a treatment for severe cases. That's turning out to be a bust. Sanofi is now running a study with HCQ for mild-to-moderate cases, so we'll hope for the best on that.

As a prophylactic, the woman below caught coronavirus after taking HCQ for 19 years. On twitter, a physician has a coronavirus positive patient who has been taking HCQ for 2 years.

BTW, if one is taking HCQ as a prophylactic, why would one stop taking the drug after two weeks?

‘How Can I Be Sick?’ Woman Who Took Hydroxychloroquine For 19 Years To Treat Lupus Still Got COVID-19 – CBS Detroit
Old 05-21-2020, 11:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
I agree with you on Remdesivir and have indeed been hoping for the best with HCQ for the reasons you state. The original non-peer reviewed study from France touted it as having value as a treatment for severe cases. That's turning out to be a bust. Sanofi is now running a study with HCQ for mild-to-moderate cases, so we'll hope for the best on that.

As a prophylactic, the woman below caught coronavirus after taking HCQ for 19 years. On twitter, a physician has a coronavirus positive patient who has been taking HCQ for 2 years.

BTW, if one is taking HCQ as a prophylactic, why would one stop taking the drug after two weeks?

‘How Can I Be Sick?’ Woman Who Took Hydroxychloroquine For 19 Years To Treat Lupus Still Got COVID-19 – CBS Detroit
Yes, I am aware that some taking HCQ have tested positive. The trials they are conducting now can tell us if taking it in high risk situations proves to be statistically relevant (less people taking it get sick)

Here's another huge trial that will have 40,000 particpants

UK healthcare workers begin COVID-19 hydroxychloroquine trial
Old 05-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post

Two weeks since WH exposure, immediate risk is past.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Two weeks since WH exposure, immediate risk is past.
This isn't really how prophylactics work, but I reckon prophylaxis wasn't the point of the announcement.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think it is too early to tell, and even when we get some valid statistics, there seems no one to dispense them. I am tired of accolades and exaggerations and promises.

I liked the way it used to work. Someone we could trust, telling us what happened.

Even Dr. Fauci can't pull it out of the air. They have just begin to ship quantities of the newest drug to test.
We are on the same page on this.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:14 PM
Default politics not science

too many comments are politically tinged
Old 05-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
That high level user who just announced he was taking it said that a lot of doctor's and other front-line heroes were also doing it and he's received lots of calls touting the use of it. Can't you just take his word for it?
In a word, no.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Dr. Ivette Lozano has been using hydroxychloroquine for her patients with very good results.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:08 PM

Wow... Its great seeing a post backed up by real data/facts. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, patients, studies, hcq

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.