Replacing metal dental fillings???

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, the biggest scam in The Villages is the unnecessary "deep cleaning" or "root scaling" for over a thousand dollars and not even performed by a dentist. Why would someone pay a dental hygenist that much money for less than 2 hours of work? But that is what some dental offices recommend. I never even heard of this procedure before moving to The Villages. That is why I go to Leesburg for excellent dental work.
Wow. Over a grand? I had a deep cleaning done because I neglected my teeth for so long I suffered gum loss and peridontal root pockets. It didn't cost no where near a grand. I was so tired of my mouth hurting me and got it cleaned up. Some dentist are just plain money grabbers and some are honest.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

Replacing metal fillings is usually unnecessary but you can have a radiograph taken and they can use different light refractions to see if the filling is indeed leaking. Metal fillings stay in place by a mechanical lock, plastic fillings are glued in place. Both can fail but I think the odds of glue failing is higher.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Thank you all for your feedback. It has been so helpful. Please if anyone else has some something to share, please do so. I have been under the impression of don't fix it if it isn't broke. Sometimes fixing things before they are broke can create problems you didn't have before.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 AM
Sage

You don't want a dentist performing root scaling (deep scaling). Hygienists are, in general, better trained and more skilled at this. I agree that going outside the bubble is a good idea. My wife doesn't practice anymore and we go outside the bubble. Get a second opinion before spending a dime on an expensive procedure, especially if you have just moved here and your previous dentist said you were in good shape. PM me if you want the name of a good practice that has my wife's approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, the biggest scam in The Villages is the unnecessary "deep cleaning" or "root scaling" for over a thousand dollars and not even performed by a dentist. Why would someone pay a dental hygenist that much money for less than 2 hours of work? But that is what some dental offices recommend. I never even heard of this procedure before moving to The Villages. That is why I go to Leesburg for excellent dental work.

Last edited by biker1; 06-29-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Platinum member

another consideration for doing dental work is the risk of nerve damage. I had a dentist perform what turned out to be an unnecessary root canal....I had pain after and it was repeated twice, then another procedure, and finally the tooth pulled, and guess what? the pain was still there. Neurologist said he sees a lot of people with permanent damage from dental procedures. If a dentist tried to tell me I needed all the fillings taken out I would run from the chair.
Closed Thread

Tags
fillings, teeth, filling, cracked, removed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.