Rx problems with Walgreens

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2020, 02:17 PM
Default Rx problems with Walgreens

Since arriving in TV we have been using Walgreens for prescriptions. I use the Walgreens website to order prescription refills and have generally been pleased with the service and price. However; across the 13 months of our TV life, Walgreens has “lost” two prescription refill requests. The solution identified by Walgreens staff has been to “re-order” the prescription. I’m normally not a “3 times and your out” type of person, but 2 times is sufficient for me to seek other sources.

Any recommendations for a pharmacy in the TV area having a better track record?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage

Have these "lost" prescriptions involved the mail order part of Walgreens? I ask because my wife has sworn off using Walgreens in Pinellas Plaza for similar reasons. Now she uses the Colony Plaza or Parr Drive locations.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedfromGA View Post
Since arriving in TV we have been using Walgreens for prescriptions. I use the Walgreens website to order prescription refills and have generally been pleased with the service and price. However; across the 13 months of our TV life, Walgreens has “lost” two prescription refill requests. The solution identified by Walgreens staff has been to “re-order” the prescription. I’m normally not a “3 times and your out” type of person, but 2 times is sufficient for me to seek other sources.

Any recommendations for a pharmacy in the TV area having a better track record?

Thanks in advance.
I have been pleased with the service and price and the Publix Pharmacy. Some of their basic prescriptions are even free!

Compare prices on the website GoodRx.com and you will see the Walgreens is far and away the most expensive place to get prescriptions. It is good to check there because sometimes the cost of a drug may be less than your co-pay.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Have these "lost" prescriptions involved the mail order part of Walgreens? I ask because my wife has sworn off using Walgreens in Pinellas Plaza for similar reasons. Now she uses the Colony Plaza or Parr Drive locations.
My experience is with the In-Store pickup.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I got fed up with them about 2 years ago due to not receiving my online orders and not having prescriptions in stock during high season. The pharmacist indicated it was difficult to plan his inventory during this time. But I don’t care.

I ended up using Humana’s mail order and only use Walgreen’s for short term prescriptions (eg., antibiotics).
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

For us we had been a Walgreens Family for many moons with no disappointment that I can recall when we lived up North. Fast forward to either store on 441 in The Villages. No good at all. So many problems including exactly what you experienced. The final straw out of all the problems was when the actual refills were short on the count of pills. I never got any battle or comment when I pointed it out. They just forked over whatever I said the shortage was. I was always accurate, never fudged the amount. The store manager said they had people with over 30 years give a one week warning and just leave because of the pressure of the job. Rough job no doubt but come on gimme a break. We moved on. No showdown, no final battle. I actually feel bad for the employees in the Pharmacy but felt worse for us.

I switched my prescriptions to mail order which has been flawless. It's been about 7 months. We are switching my wife to Mail order now but it is Walgreens Mail Order so our fingers are crossed.

For the items we feel more comfortable getting locally we have been using Publix. They have been doing a nice job yet not flawless but pretty good. I would recommend them. Nobody is perfect. The best thing is they put your Prescription in a PLASTIC BAG inside a PLASTIC BAG. Good Luck.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
For us we had been a Walgreens Family for many moons with no disappointment that I can recall when we lived up North. Fast forward to either store on 441 in The Villages. No good at all. So many problems including exactly what you experienced. The final straw out of all the problems was when the actual refills were short on the count of pills. I never got any battle or comment when I pointed it out. They just forked over whatever I said the shortage was. I was always accurate, never fudged the amount. The store manager said they had people with over 30 years give a one week warning and just leave because of the pressure of the job. Rough job no doubt but come on gimme a break. We moved on. No showdown, no final battle. I actually feel bad for the employees in the Pharmacy but felt worse for us.

I switched my prescriptions to mail order which has been flawless. It's been about 7 months. We are switching my wife to Mail order now but it is Walgreens Mail Order so our fingers are crossed.

For the items we feel more comfortable getting locally we have been using Publix. They have been doing a nice job yet not flawless but pretty good. I would recommend them. Nobody is perfect. The best thing is they put your Prescription in a PLASTIC BAG inside a PLASTIC BAG. Good Luck.

I reckon they won't be doing that very much longer! I wish they would just hand over the pill bottles, and I'll put them in my purse.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Many Rx per month over 16 years with Walgreens and no complaints.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

the one in lake deaton plaza on kristine way is very good. some of the locations are too busy to be effective
Old 01-23-2020, 08:05 AM

I use CVS and so far they do great.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Platinum member

I only use Walgreens for the initial filling of the prescription. After that, I order online to be mailed, being sure to give adequate time for that. I also have text message alerts to give updates. If I have left a prescription to be filled at the pharmacy it will text me when it's available. Recently, I had 2 prescriptions that were delayed because they were out, I got a text telling me that,but they were filled the next day and I was alerted when they were ready. If you have them mailed, there will be less chance they will be out as they come from a major mail out facility with much larger inventories. When I was working pharmacist, the problem was the same as some of you have described. We kept amounts on hand to fill initial prescriptions, but if we had a sudden influx of people wanting refills (and many are three months supplies) we would have to order it and the prescription would be delayed. if it was a necessary medication, we would give a short supply and have the rest mailed. My recommendation is order on-line when you are 10 days to 2 weeks from running out and have it mailed to you. cuts down on time spent there in line. also, you can always check the status of the refill on-line any time.

I understand your frustration, but I can assure you the pharmacist and staff would like nothing more than for every thing to go smoothly and you pick up your meds. without any problems. They are under enormous pressure to do more with less help (less help means less salaries and less overhead) and problems slow them down just compounds the back up.

If you want to continue to pick refills up at the store, then do so when you have enough left to cover for any delays. set up the text message system to be notified when it is ready to picked up. they even email you to tell you they received it. But the easiest way to get your refills is to choose mail option when requesting it from Walgreens.

here's the email you get from using mail:

Thanks for Filling Your Prescription
with Walgreens

We received your prescription request on 4:48 PM on Sep 15, 2016. When your prescription(s) are ready for pickup or shipping, we'll send another email.

Retail Pharmacy - Ship to You Retail Pharmacy - Ship to You
Old 01-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Mail order Optum RX. Walmart is great.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:30 PM

Had same issues but need to stay with them because we travel back and forth between MN and FL and it makes it easier to have one source for my prescriptions. Otherwise, I would change too.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Many Rx per month over 16 years with Walgreens and no complaints.
I've used Walgreens for many years, both mail and local stores. First 466, then Pinellas Plaza. I've had zero problems.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 AM

CVS Aveneda DR
Closed Thread

Tags
walgreens, prescription, times, i’m, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.