Sciatica nerve

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Smile Sciatica nerve

What do you use to stop the nerve pain (especially in the calf muscle)? Pressing on the nerve helps a lot. Has anyone had any luck using a TENS pulse machine?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

It may sound funny but I found these guys on you tube.
Absolute Best Exercise for Sciatica & Herniated Disc- McKenzie Approach. - YouTube

I had sciatica really bad and these guys really helped. When I do get the pain now it's very minor. When it used to get really bad I saw somewhere that you should sit on a tennis ball. You need to work the ball to find the right spot. That really worked well when driving. I feel your pain!
Steve
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM

Thank you Anothersteve.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Sage

I have a TENS...and it's a very short-term "solution" (it doesn't do anything long-term). I tried the PEMF treatment with The Villages Health (you don't have to be a member...it's out of pocket and they do seminars from time to time). It helped but their unit isn't in our budget. A friend told me about OSKA Health, which is much/much less expensive AND it's also where you can take it with you. I ordered one. I've been doing PEMF for well over a month and many of my pain issues are either better or gone.

Also will add...it's not a snake-oil solution. Been there, done that so did my research before going this route.

Also didn't look at the video the other op gave you...but it may be your perifimis muscle (maybe that video addresses that) and there are stretches you can do.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

There is another thread on this website about the PEMF treatment. If you research the FDA website, you will find nothing on it that approves that device for sciatica. And, there is a letter from the FDA posted on the FDA website to a company that sells the device threatening them with legal action for making false claims about the device.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM

Google “yoga pigeon pose”. It’s easy and gets easier. A few good stretches a week and mine has disappeared.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Thank you all for your input. I do a series of stretches every day/evening but struggle to maintain a pain-free calf. The piriformis kicks up now and then plus I have plantar faciitis which requires stretching, taping, ice/heat/massage and acetaminophen. It is exhausting but I know one day this misery will end.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Gold member

I have been using an inversion table for about 30 years.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:34 AM

I'm so confused! And sad. It's been a month. Dr. Said arthritis, hospital said sciatica, osteoarthritis. Physical therapist, sciatica. I have done everything they said. I'm realizing I'm basically on my own. It helps to know I am not alone, but I can't help wondering about the future.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
What do you use to stop the nerve pain (especially in the calf muscle)? Pressing on the nerve helps a lot. Has anyone had any luck using a TENS pulse machine?
Tommy Copper Compression Sleeves work miracles for both of us.

I am in crisis this very moment with pain from the knee down. I've done about 50 laps around the inside of the house. The Pool is very helpful also. Good Luck.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

I think the term "sciatica" refers to any pain caused by pressure or irritation of the sciatic nerve. The nerve extends from the brain stem all the way to the foot. The pressure can be caused by a bulging or herniated disc, or by bone deposits caused by arthritis. The pain can be felt anywhere along the nerve, even remotely from where the pressure occurs. I had a herniated disc in my lower back years ago that caused severe leg pain. It was diagnosed with an MRI. I had surgery, and the pain is gone, but I really don't know if the surgery was the cure, or just time. But, I don't think physical therapy will help much. If you can get an MRI, it may show where the nerve is being compressed. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:04 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Only an MRI can detect a synovial cyst.

A synovial cyst can grow quite large in the lumbar spine and can cause excruciating nerve pain in the legs.

These things are sometimes called "rare," but I have reason to believe they are underdiagnosed because insurance companies do not want to pay for MRIs.

Your back can look OK on an x-ray, but the soft tissue of a synovial cyst will not show up except on an MRI.

I hope you will Google synovial cyst lumbar spine and see it the information you find there might apply to your situation.

I wish you well.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 PM

My situation is slowly improving but still requires daily stretching. The back is much better but my calf muscle seems to be the biggest pain right now....plus my strength issue which drains my stamina but has increased my healthy food intake which will help speed up my recovery. Never before have I had to add calories to my diet but muscle strength requires lots of nutrition for energy. Things are looking up!
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and suggestions.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:20 PM

Highly recommend watching Classical Stretch by Essentrics on PBS. Miranda Esmonde-White is fantastic!
She explains each exercise and how the stretch will help improve flexibility.

Last edited by VILLAGERBB; 10-25-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 PM

I had a synovial cyst, and the pain went down my leg was unbearable!!! They operated and 2 years later I got another one. This wasn't as bad as the first one. My surgeon said I would eventually need back surgery to tighten things up and not have the fluid build up. 2 years after that I had back surgery.....and have never had another problem. I suggest you see a nuero surgeon.
Closed Thread

Tags
nerve, lot, helps, pulse, machine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.