Sciatica nerve

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2019, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Highly recommend watching Classical Stretch by Essentrics on PBS. Miranda Esmonde-White is fantastic!
She explains each exercise and how the stretch will help improve flexibility.
I was just about to suggest this program to you ...... I get sciatic pain in the left back cheek, it's like being kicked in the rear. I handle mine with yoga stretches which I got off the internet and especially YouTube.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-26-2019, 07:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the term "sciatica" refers to any pain caused by pressure or irritation of the sciatic nerve. The nerve extends from the brain stem all the way to the foot. The pressure can be caused by a bulging or herniated disc, or by bone deposits caused by arthritis. The pain can be felt anywhere along the nerve, even remotely from where the pressure occurs. I had a herniated disc in my lower back years ago that caused severe leg pain. It was diagnosed with an MRI. I had surgery, and the pain is gone, but I really don't know if the surgery was the cure, or just time. But, I don't think physical therapy will help much. If you can get an MRI, it may show where the nerve is being compressed. Good luck.
I too had a herniated disc that was leaning against the sciatic nerve and causing excruciating pain down my left leg. I was also experiencing foot drop which is a condition where the foot and ankle don't support the weight and basically "flop". I had two epidural shots to relieve the pain, but they didn't do much, so was referred to a neurosurgeon who examined me and said the cause was the bulging disc and said surgery was necessary and quickly before permanent damage resulted. I had the surgery three days later and have had zero problem since. I am sure there are many causes for sciatic nerve pain, but in my case surgery did the trick.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I have been using an inversion table for about 30 years.
My Villages Medi-care doctor wanted to refer me to a back surgeon in Ocala, he said I was a good candidate for fusion surgery. I couldn't stand in one place or walk through a grocery store or mall without looking for a place to sit within five minutes. I had extreme lower back pain.

Before I saw the surgeon I tried a chiropractor and after 9 sessions found no improvement. I bought a Teeter Inversion Table at Dick's in Ocala and within six weeks all my pain was gone. I've been using it about 5 minutes a day for over two years and no more pain.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Had severe pain from my back, thigh, hamstring, calf,all the way through my big toe. Got so bad I couldn't walk. Had the epidural shots, went to chiro guy (bad idea) and finally spinal surgery from a brain/spine guy in Orlando. Instant relief and three months of rehab with zero pain.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:09 PM

Too all who have suffered from this excruciating agony I thank you for posting.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaboy View Post
I'm so confused! And sad. It's been a month. Dr. Said arthritis, hospital said sciatica, osteoarthritis. Physical therapist, sciatica. I have done everything they said. I'm realizing I'm basically on my own. It helps to know I am not alone, but I can't help wondering about the future.
You have been through it all, except for a chiropractor. I know that many people swear against them, but many swear by them, including me. I went through physical therapy twice, which each time made my sciatica worse. Dr. Kuhn on 301 in Wildwood got me to be able to walk again.

Also, I have found that since we moved from a three-story condo to a one level Villages house (2011), my situation flared up out of nowhere (it had gone away in 1997 Oh duh... that's when we moved from a one-story to a three-story). Since then, half the year since 2016 we live in a two-story house and I do walking trails that are rocky and uneven. My problem during this time disappears. I think the back-and-forth motion somehow eases everything. Perhaps you could find a stair stepper or some other form of exercise that puts your back in different positions.

Or try Dr. Kuhn. He's old-fashioned very good.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:10 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

OP .. Here are three suggestions, all pf which I used over the past 6 months:

1. Talk to your GP about Gabapentin - It is used for nerve pain - I take 300mg 2x daily - it does have some minor side effects - I would best describe it as a "cloudy head" - I have also found that it accelerates the effects of alcohol, if you are a drinker. It did wonders for my lower leg pain.

2. Daily magnesium supplement - My calf was knotted up so bad I could hardly walk - After striking out w ortho, GP, MRI, I made my first ever visit to a chiro, who recommended the magnesium. I take that daily after breakfast

3. Consider a visit to a licensed massage therapist (also a first for me). I told her I needed her to work for an hour solely on the calf, which she did.. She found all sorts of knots and patiently and professionally found the pressure points and worked them out..

Bottom line, I can walk two miles again ..

Good Luck !
Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
OP .. Here are three suggestions, all pf which I used over the past 6 months:

1. Talk to your GP about Gabapentin - It is used for nerve pain - I take 300mg 2x daily - it does have some minor side effects - I would best describe it as a "cloudy head" - I have also found that it accelerates the effects of alcohol, if you are a drinker. It did wonders for my lower leg pain...
I started using Gabapentin in 2005 for diabetic neuropathy in my feet. I have diabetes 2 and my feet would only hurt when I slept. It worked great for a dozen years and then about two years ago I started sleepwalking. The last time about a year ago I was standing on the bed and walked off, I woke up with a bleeding head. I had hit my head on the metal frame. I had to stop using it and the dreams and sleepwalking went away. I've eliminated all sugar from my diet and for the most part, no more pain.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:06 PM
Default Classical stretch solution

I spent 3 weeks in physical therapy which seemed to make things worse. Massage and heat help plus plenty of stretching.
I now follow this PBS television program and find Miranda to be excellent for explaining the best exercises for strengthening and flexibility.
Classical Stretch by Essentrics
Old 11-04-2019, 03:04 PM

The sciatica saga continues....it is a terribly painful seemingly never ending tale of suffering. To all who are experiencing this condition please know I know what you are feeling. Hang in there and please send me an update about your treatment. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

If you have not had an MRI, it might be time to think about doing so to find out what is going on in the lumbar spine. Even though your back itself might not hurt much, or not at all, you seem to be suffering from radiculothopy (pain radiating along the sciatic nerve from the lower back.) An MRI can show if there is a herniated disc or a synovial cyst that is compressing the nerve at a point in the lower spine.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-04-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Smile Good Advice

Dear Boomer,
Your suggestion is definitely a good one. I've been sitting on a "doughnut" pillow and support my back with a pillow in the car and have tried my best to pad my bed in the spot that seems to be giving me the most discomfort. My alignment is key to having a day with or without pain or numbness. Thank you for giving me your advice.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Dear Boomer,
Your suggestion is definitely a good one. I've been sitting on a "doughnut" pillow and support my back with a pillow in the car and have tried my best to pad my bed in the spot that seems to be giving me the most discomfort. My alignment is key to having a day with or without pain or numbness. Thank you for giving me your advice.

You are very welcome. When I saw that you had started this thread 4 months ago and are still enduring the pain, I decided to follow through with my MRI advice.

Before ordering an MRI, your doctor probably will do an x-ray. Insurance is known to require an x-ray first. If the cause is a synovial cyst, an x-ray will not show it, but an MRI will.

I wish you well.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-06-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Dear Boomer,
Thank you so much. I have been suffering for one year. It seems to have started with walking/standing and has spread up the sciatic nerve now affecting my back. I remain hopeful the exercises will strengthen my back and I will align properly but if not - I'll ask my doctor to do an MRI. The support you've provided has given me such comfort. I'm always amazed how little follow-up care the medical profession provides. Not even a phone call to ask how I'm doing. Guess I'll have to wait for my scheduled 6 month follow-up visit. Florida Blue offers 24 hour doctor access as part of my plan...I'm considering it.

You are very welcome. When I saw that you had started this thread 4 months ago and are still enduring the pain, I decided to follow through with my MRI advice.

Before ordering an MRI, your doctor probably will do an x-ray. Insurance is known to require an x-ray first. If the cause is a synovial cyst, an x-ray will not show it, but an MRI will.

I wish you well.
Last edited by Boomer; Today at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Question Update

Bellaboy...how are you feeling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaboy View Post
I'm so confused! And sad. It's been a month. Dr. Said arthritis, hospital said sciatica, osteoarthritis. Physical therapist, sciatica. I have done everything they said. I'm realizing I'm basically on my own. It helps to know I am not alone, but I can't help wondering about the future.
Closed Thread

Tags
nerve, lot, helps, pulse, machine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.