September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month.

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2021, 07:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Sadly, for some it IS a sin to commit suicide. That belief, in my opinion, leads to many suicides every year - a person raised there entire life believing that suicide is evil and a sin, begins thinking about it for whatever reason, and feels they can't talk to anyone, because it would be admitting they are sinners. Sigh...
That may be part of the problem but I also know people who have been treated for depression, bipolar disorder and other mental health diagnosis’s often suffer from the social stigma of those diseases. It’s sad to say they would probably be treated better in most instances if they had a physical, life threatening disease.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

About NAMI | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

I have communicated in various ways with some of the NAMI groups over the past few decades.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
That may be part of the problem but I also know people who have been treated for depression, bipolar disorder and other mental health diagnosis’s often suffer from the social stigma of those diseases. It’s sad to say they would probably be treated better in most instances if they had a physical, life threatening disease.
Absolutely. It was not that long ago that people did not talk about mental illness in the family. That was something to be kept quiet about.

!
Old 08-30-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When someone we know or know of dies suddenly or unexpectedly I think of suicide because it has happened to people that I know.

Access Denied

Suicide among doctors - Wikipedia

I was shocked and very surprised at the reaction of a few people when I broached the subject a few days ago.

One called me "sick". One called for removal of my post and that did happen. I believe that in this day and age, we all must be aware of severe depression around us. I am still trying to understand the reaction to my post.

Above all, I want you to know that I meant in no way to be insensitive or callous. None of us is immune to overwhelming sadness and hopelessness at times.
The subjects of suicide prevention and suicide itself are real, vital, and important and should be able to be discussed openly. It is unfortunate that there are people whose personal issues are such that they are simply unable to discuss death in any form. OP, you should not let the issues of others control you on something as important as this.

Discussing suicide prevention and death and dying as a subject is important, as it takes an issue we all ultimately deal with out of the ‘do not talk about’ closet. This is what Swiss-born psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross did in the late 1960s when she observed the discomfort her American fellow physicians felt, seeing a death as a failure on their part to be hidden rather than accepting dying and death as an integral part of ALL our lives. She got permission to interview dying patients and discovered—no surprise—how much they welcomed the chance to talk about their own feelings and fears. From this experience came her uniquely written (a story in itself…) first book, On Death and Dying—well worth the read.

However, discussing this as an important subject is not the same as publicly speculating about suicide of a complete stranger, which is just plain inappropriate. OP, in your later responses in this thread, you made it clear that with the input of others (some of which from your description sound off the wall…), you recognize, as you put it, that you were ‘wrong.’ So you’ve learned something—as we all have the opportunity to do—and it’s time to move on.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The subjects of suicide prevention and suicide itself are real, vital, and important and should be able to be discussed openly. It is unfortunate that there are people whose personal issues are such that they are simply unable to discuss death in any form. OP, you should not let the issues of others control you on something as important as this.

Discussing suicide prevention and death and dying as a subject is important, as it takes an issue we all ultimately deal with out of the ‘do not talk about’ closet. This is what Swiss-born psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross did in the late 1960s when she observed the discomfort her American fellow physicians felt, seeing a death as a failure on their part to be hidden rather than accepting dying and death as an integral part of ALL our lives. She got permission to interview dying patients and discovered—no surprise—how much they welcomed the chance to talk about their own feelings and fears. From this experience came her uniquely written (a story in itself…) first book, On Death and Dying—well worth the read.

However, discussing this as an important subject is not the same as publicly speculating about suicide of a complete stranger, which is just plain inappropriate. OP, in your later responses in this thread, you made it clear that with the input of others (some of which from your description sound off the wall…), you recognize, as you put it, that you were ‘wrong.’ So you’ve learned something—as we all have the opportunity to do—and it’s time to move on.
You perfectly nailed it, ALL of it - EXCELLENT post!
Old 08-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

How hypocritical, the theme of the thread was the cause of death and speculations of heart attack, covid, AAA, etc. were allowed but that shameful word “suicide” is not to be mentioned. Such dark ages thinking for an insidious disease.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
How hypocritical, the theme of the thread was the cause of death and speculations of heart attack, covid, AAA, etc. were allowed but that shameful word “suicide” is not to be mentioned. Such dark ages thinking for an insidious disease.
I agree, I would hope family members would appreciate a compassionate discussion, but, there will always be someone that doesn't. So, do we just never publicly talk about it? I think we have to change.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
GG, I truly cannot understand how or why you got a bee in your bonnet concerning suicides among physicians. Frankly, I found your remark in another thread concerning the untimely death of a loved local physician shockingly callous. Why are you in a snit and verbally jumping up and down about suicides among physicians?

It seems to me that closer to home for you might be the suicide rate among primary school teachers, especially those who teach kindergarten and first grade. The following is from the UK. I do not know the statistics for American primary school teachers.

"Three in four suicides among teaching professionals are primary and nursery school teachers, statistics show, amid warnings it is 'one of the most highly stressed occupations in the country.

The suicide rate among primary school teachers in England is nearly two times higher than the national average, figures have revealed.

Risk of suicide among primary and nursery school teachers was 42 per cent higher than patterns in the broader population of England during the period 2011 to 2015, according to data released by the Office of National Statistics (ONS)."

From: Primary school teachers''' suicide rate nearly double national average, figures reveal | The Independent | The Independent

This was a surprise to me.
As far as physicians imagine a profession where every one you deal with is sick. Most patients you can venture a guess as to when they will die and what will kill them.

UK and teachers. We often reach to support our narrative. As far as teachers, sadly there are too few great ones. Too many do not belong in the profession and are hanging in to collect the great benefits package.

Suicide. Why is it such a difficult subject. My view is because religion says you are damned if you take your life. Interesting conflicts the first amendment to the constitution outlaws a state (national) religion. If, I recall it is the 13th that outlaws slavery. There is no shortage of legal conflicts but if you eliminate a state religion and you are not a slave to the state, your life is your life, you have the right to end it.

Euthanasia-what we put HUMANS through, if they were a dog you would go to jail for what we do as normal practice.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Euthanasia-what we put HUMANS through, if they were a dog you would go to jail for what we do as normal practice.
So, very true.

And the really sad thing is when someone has not made sure their wishes are known ahead of time and a family member steps in making decisions the patient would not have wanted.

I am an atheist but grew up a Southern Baptist, and it always seemed so strange to me that they (Southern Baptists) fight so hard to not die, while all the time claiming to be looking forward to an eternity in perfect heaven. Seems to me, I would want to move on and get into my new internal digs. But, if that makes them happy, that is fine with me. They can fight to live in agony all they want to, I just don't want them interfering with my decisions to end my life when I want to end it.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

I completely agree, as I said in my earlier post—as an important subject in itself, not as speculation about a complete stranger—and especially when there is no hint of it in the news report/obituary. Otherwise it can come off sounding like gossip (which appears NOT to have be the intention of the OP).
Old 09-13-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
There are roughly 50,000 suicides every year, and while it is a very hard for the people left behind, I do personally feel it is closely relates to doctor assisted death.

If we can't talk about it, things won't change - people who need help won't get it.

I saw that same post when it came through and my first thought was also that it might have been suicide, but I didn't know the person, so I had nothing to contribute.

We have an obsession in this country that self "inflicted" death is wrong, and death in general should be fought off as long as possible, no matter what. This is slowly being eroded by the movement of many people searching for death with dignity. Doctors are learning that what used to be taught, that death is the enemy and should never be accepted, are now learning the lying to the patient (yes, they lie to patients that are dying) and telling them there is hope when there is none, is NOT right. Patients have a right to KNOW that they are dying, and to receive help they may need to deal with it.

There are certainly transitive conditions that can lead a person to consider dying, such as situational depression. And those can be helped.

In general considering death is considered a mental illness.

That is really sad, since we are all going to experience death at some point (most of us here are over half way there). Not being able to discuss death in a mature conversation with friends, family, doctors or counselors leaves many (most) people with only themselves to evaluate their options alone - afraid to say anything because of the potential of involuntary commitment. I personally believe this leads to many unnecessary suicides - people feel there is no one they can trust to talk to.

The VA healthcare system takes counseling very seriously and makes it readily available to everyone without questions or judgement. I have not had to use the services myself but it gives me peace of mind to know they are there if or when I might need them.

I certainly understand that comments about suicide can seem to be insensitive or callous to some, especially those that have recently lost someone to suicide. But we really need to get over the stigma that has been traditionally associated it and learn to openly discuss the topic.

Much like the stigma around mental health is just now becoming recognized as an illness and not a moral stigma, we need to be open and encourage people considering end of life to discuss it with whomever they feel comfortable. This is NOT a moral issue, it does not make one a bad person to think about it. It is something every one of us is going to face eventually. Some will have more time to make plans than others.

50,000 suicides per year.

And as someone above said, there are, to me, reasonable situations where I would prefer doctor assisted death over the alternative of long term pain/agony or TBI or any number of life altering conditions that I would find unacceptable at this point in MY life. And I want to be able to opening discuss this with my PCP (which I do and have) and wish that everyone had that option.

If there is anyone reading this that would like to discuss suicide and don't feel it is something they can discuss with family, friends or doctors, please contact me - a complete stranger, might be easier to talk with.
Thank you so much for this post. I lost a dear family member to suicide 6 years ago, and I am so grateful for friends who speak of him and comfort me and my Husband. But, there is a huge stigma concerning suicide and it can be very hurtful to the loved ones left to mourn.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, called, reaction, post, suicide

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.