Seven new Covid-19 cases in The Villages last 3 days?

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Default Thanks for the factual response Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Fowler View Post
Each day, the Florida Department of Public Health’s COVID 19 site posts the number of cases in each county, and in its “state report” (near the bottom left of the Department’s COVID home page), the Department lists cases both by city/community and county. I agree that looking just at the Sumter County cases is misleading because they include over 100 inmates in Bushnell.
As the original poster said, we’ve had a recent spike in TV. The Department’s “state report“ showed our TV cases had been stuck for a month at 62 in TV in Sumter and 7 in TV in Lake (Pine Ridge etc.). In the past few days, we’ve jumped up to 68 in TV in Sumter and 9 in TV in Lake. We still have a very low percentage of cases in a TV population of over 120,000, but the TV spike worries me. Statewide cases are spiking too.
Google “Fl coronavirus”:and you can find the FL Department of Public Health’s COVID 19 site. Lots of good info there, including testing numbers. This FL site was praised at one of the White House briefings.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who reads the facts in detail on the FL Dept of Health website which provides elaborate detail regarding positive cases, testing stats, by county, by city etc.( I didn't make these numbers up as Kim points out). I agree you can read anything you want into numbers and some are more significant or meaningful than others but the facts are we now have 8 positives in the Villages in the past week or so after a month of no changes. It may be coincidental with the reopening and I certainly hope so because I want to resume some normal activities also. I also thank those who suggested I should stay home if I am worried. I never thought of that!
Old 06-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The numbers are even more confusing than that. Do those numbers represent the number of people living full-time in the area? Are snowbirds counted? If they're counted, well they're not HERE right now, so none of them *should* count in any kind of calculation of "percentage of people living here who have been diagnosed recently". Since they're not living here- currently.

But they were living here in March. And possibly in April. But I'm guessing with very few exceptions, they've all gone back north by now.

The population of the Villages is totally different in December, compared to July.

That is taken into consideration and the numbers will only change in fractions. It takes many people to move the needle.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Those concerned and or vulnerable will have to adjust to the fact(s) that there will be a rise in new infections as time goes on.

We have learned a return to lock down is unlikely as it penalizes the larger segment of the population.

Like so many other threats to our lives, we are adjusting to a level of infection that may be another norm.....at least until a vaccine is available.

Then remember that just like the flu vaccine....the projection is around 50% for those who will actually get the vaccine.
So a new norm is in the offing.
Have you actually seen that projection in print? I have never had the flu vaccine and I have never had a flu, I think. Unless a bad cold with a 102 fever for two days was the flu, then I've had a flu once.

Anyway, I do plan to get the Covid vaccine because this disease seems to be so much worse than flu if you are one of the unlucky ones to be symptomatic. I don't want to take the chance of having to deal with this nasty illness and with the higher incidence of death, I really don't want to take that chance. I hope more than 50% decide to get this vaccine.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:20 PM

If you donate blood at the Big Red Bus, they are now testing for antibodies to COVID. Do those results end up in the “positive” category? Could that add to the “spike” in cases?
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, people, bother, protect, stores

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.