Shingles Vaccination

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Shingles is also known as herpes zoster. It is the reactivation of the chickenpox (varicella) virus. The trunk of the body is most often affected, but it can happen on the face also. My sister had it on the upper left quarter of her face - very dangerous because the eye was involved. The inflammation showed up with very distinct borders and she literally had a line down the center of her forhead, center of the nose and across the cheek. The inflammation follows along nerve roots. I had an internal version - extreme pain from my ear down the side of my neck, but I didn't have any skin eruptions. I was allergic to the first antiviral they gave me which caused an additional problem. It's so painful - I wouldn't wish it on anyone!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM

I to had chicken pox as a child and developed shingles as an adult.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Bill:

I believe you have to be 65 or older.
Best regards for your future health.

I got the shingles shot at Kaiser in Norcal (Santa Rosa) when we went in for a flu shot last fall. We were previously told by Kaiser that the wait was about six months to get a shingles shot but when we asked about it in the flu line then sent us to the shingles line and we got the shot - my wife was 59 at the time (I was 66). We were told by the shingles tech that they just got a batch of it in and were giving it out to all that asked for it. (no additional cost at Kaiser)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
We are talking about if shingles itself is contagious from another person. Any person who has had chicken pox can develop shingles - it comes from within our own body. From what I have read, the chicken pox virus lies dormant in the body once you have had chicken pox and will come out in the form of shingles in adults and could be the result of being rundown, low resistance, extreme stress etc. For example, my brother -in-law had chicken pox as a child and developed shingles in his adult life. Now if my sister had direct skin contact with his rash, she could have developed chicken pox (not shingles) if she didn't already have chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine. She was in no danger of getting chicken pox because she had already had it. And shingles itself is not contagious. I know it sounds confusing, but chicken pox is what it transmitted to another person from direct contact with the shingles rash. My sister did verify this with their doctor after I told her what I had found out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybb View Post
I to had chicken pox as a child and developed shingles as an adult.
Hi Marybb,
That makes sense because the only way you can get shingles as an adult is if you had chickenpox as a kid.

However, what mfp509 said is correct.
  • A person cannot get shingles from another person with shingles.
  • A person who has never had chickenpox can get chickenpox from exposure to a person with shingles.
When the shingles vacine first came out, it was not recommended for people who had already had shingles because it was not yet known whether it would be effective. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

Apparently, I'm not old enough to get the vacine, but would get it in a heartbeat when I qualify if it works for people who've had shingles in the past.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

I don't think that is still the case. My brother-in-law was told by the Dr that he can get the vaccination as soon as his symptoms are gone. So it must prevent further breakouts. Actually, I do believe you can have shingles more than once because that virus continues to lie dormant in your body.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
I don't think that is still the case. My brother-in-law was told by the Dr that he can get the vaccination as soon as his symptoms are gone. So it must prevent further breakouts. Actually, I do believe you can have shingles more than once because that virus continues to lie dormant in your body.
Mfp509,
Thanks. Unfortunately, I know you can have shingles more than once. I'm so hoping you are right and the vacine is effective for people who have had shingles before.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran member
Default Today's FDA Update on Vaccine

Just received notice from the FDA that the shingles vaccine has now been approved to be administered to those 50 years of age and older. You can read about it here:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm248390.htm

I'll be contacting my county health department today to schedule an appointment for next week, before the supply is exhausted. (Where I live, the doctors don't give the vaccination since temperature controls for the vaccine are so strict. Only the county health department gives the shot.)

Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Sage

Thanks for that update!

Bill
Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Platinum member

Got mine at the VA a couple of weeks ago.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmickey View Post
Just received notice from the FDA that the shingles vaccine has now been approved to be administered to those 50 years of age and older. You can read about it here:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm248390.htm

I'll be contacting my county health department today to schedule an appointment for next week, before the supply is exhausted. (Where I live, the doctors don't give the vaccination since temperature controls for the vaccine are so strict. Only the county health department gives the shot.)

Thank you for correcting me. I thought this vaccine was given to people 65 and over.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 PM

The shingles vaccine is a good thing. Just keep in mind that it is a live vaccine and therefore it is possible for you to get shingles from the vaccine.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTPF View Post
The shingles vaccine is a good thing. Just keep in mind that it is a live vaccine and therefore it is possible for you to get shingles from the vaccine.
No mention of getting shingles from the vaccine in this article. What's your source for that statement?

http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/featur...ine-for-adults
Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Shingles Vaccine

According to literature of The Center for Disease Control and Prevention-"No serious problems have been identified with the Shingles Vaccine." Does someone have valid info to the contrary?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
but, I have children who had chicken pox and have had shingles at 40
I also had chicken pox as a child and then got shingles a few years ago on my face and they were worried it could get into my eyes. Fortunately that did not happen and the scars from the shingles have faded and I have no residual pain. HOWEVER,my doctor told me that shingles was caused by the dormant chicken pox "cells." I understood that you had to have had chicken pox to have shingles. I could be wrong...maybe I heard the doc wrong, but I think I am remembering this correctly.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Medicare covers it but you may have to get the vaccine from the drug store and take it to your doctor and pay for an office visit. Otherwise it is close to $300.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.