Should Medicare be allowed to negotiate drug prices?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2021, 06:33 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

[QUOTE=jdulej;2002046]I'm hoping we'll finally see an administration with the balls to stand up to the pressure and fulfill their promises. keep hoping this administration will do anything but help themselves & their family 1st.

1 action taken during the pandemic pausinge federal student loan payments, &moving to extending the moratorium until January 31, 2022. the administration has rejected proposals from Senators to cancel up to $50,000 per person from our country's $1.6 trillion in student debt,,, i student loans are non-coerced contracts. why should taxpayers bail out the obligees / borrowers ?
Old 09-13-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Why are you talking about subsidizing the world when my response to you had nothing to do with subsidizing the rest of the world? Why do you keep changing the topic in response to my responses to your posts?

The thread is about whether or not people feel Medicare should negotiate for better drug prices. My response to that question is no. My response to that question is:

Medicare is a government program. The government should not be negotiating prices for ONE segment of the population based on their age. ONLY people age 65 or older are eligible for Medicare, therefore ONLY people 65 or older would be eligible for better prices if the government only negotiated better prices for people with Medicare coverage.

If the government is going to negotiate for better prices, they should negotiate for better prices for the entire country - not JUST people age 65 or older who have chosen Medicare coverage for prescriptions.
Strictly speaking more than 65 year old people are eligible for Medicare.
Are you ? The VA does negotiate for better prices for vets. Foreign governments negotiate lower prices. Why do you think you can buy drugs from Canada for less than your Medicare copays?
Insurance companies negotiate lower prices. The only people paying retail are on Medicare. Thanks for your opinion but your facts aren't correct.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Prior admins (all of them) rolled over to pressure from industry vs pressure from the general population - big talk, no action, then "gee, I tried" is the usual pattern. We (the people) need to keep a closer eye on this attempt and make sure the politicians know that big pharma is not their client, we are. I am modestly hopeful this time, but not holding my breath.
You’re right, don’t hold your breath!
Old 09-13-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Why are you talking about subsidizing the world when my response to you had nothing to do with subsidizing the rest of the world? Why do you keep changing the topic in response to my responses to your posts?

The thread is about whether or not people feel Medicare should negotiate for better drug prices. My response to that question is no. My response to that question is:

Medicare is a government program. The government should not be negotiating prices for ONE segment of the population based on their age. ONLY people age 65 or older are eligible for Medicare, therefore ONLY people 65 or older would be eligible for better prices if the government only negotiated better prices for people with Medicare coverage.

If the government is going to negotiate for better prices, they should negotiate for better prices for the entire country - not JUST people age 65 or older who have chosen Medicare coverage for prescriptions.
We could get the same effect with Medicare For All. You pay into Medicare as now, but are covered cradle to grave and F.. big pharma.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
We could get the same effect with Medicare For All. You pay into Medicare as now, but are covered cradle to grave and F.. big pharma.
Nice idea in theory but our govt is owned by special interests.

I can see a scenario where the govt pays the same high price that medicare does but for all of us.

Govt does not have to worry about this just raise taxes to pay the higher prices.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Nice idea in theory but our govt is owned by special interests.

I can see a scenario where the govt pays the same high price that medicare does but for all of us.

Govt does not have to worry about this just raise taxes to pay the higher prices.
As an aside, the highest paid exec at PFIZER made close to 20 million in 2020. If drug companies are worried about profits stop paying there executives so much! The horse is out of the barn now and it's running faster every year. I realize that is off topic but I think we should be fair to big pharma. They have a lot of expenses. I know government has made it hard for them to bribe physicians though.

Compensation Information for A. Bourla, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of PFIZER INC | Salary.com

Old 09-13-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
For $ 50,000 we can buy our own Congressional rep for one 2 year term and for 100,000 for life. What can we expect when the people who supposedly work for us are bought and paid for by lobbyists.

And we stupidly keep reelecting the same people.
All we can do is make certain the people we vote for, if you vote in Florida are supporting the issue as you see it. The AARP is advocating for Medicare to negotiate drug prices. The issue of health care costs
is bigger than this but it's a start.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:24 PM
Veteran member

Other countries negotiate prices and so the same drugs cost much less. The Pharms are trying to recoup their negotiated lower prices by making us pay more, and sadly, in this country, the Oligarchy rules.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
I'd be fine with that.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Other countries negotiate prices and so the same drugs cost much less. The Pharms are trying to recoup their negotiated lower prices by making us pay more, and sadly, in this country, the Oligarchy rules.
If they were forced to be competitive they would have no choice but to operate as a business pricing to the market. Perhaps we would see less useless drugs ads.

If I have to suggest a medication to our physician we are dealing with the wrong doctor.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

The only way to control medical costs is to require patients to pay a copay based on the cost of the service. That would create a market where medical providers would have to compete with each other for business.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The only way to control medical costs is to require patients to pay a copay based on the cost of the service. That would create a market where medical providers would have to compete with each other for business.
Very true. These days when going to a Dr for particular reason nobody even asks the price as insurance will pay.
Closed Thread

Tags
drug, medicare, prices, negotiate, drugs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.