Springfield MO Health Department reports 17 new COVID-19 deaths

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2021, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Based on that reasoning we should definitely outlaw smoking since it kills 480,000 per year. And since overweight people have more health issues, we should outlaw fast food restaurants and also outlaw all unhealthy foods from grocery stores. Those changes would save far more lives than the vaccine and greatly reduce the burden on the medical system…
Don't give him any ideas...

-Tom Petty
Old 07-12-2021, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I agree while I expect you are being facetious, I agree, we should outlaw alcohol, smoking, fast food, and other activities that cost EVERYONE a lot of money. You and I are paying the highest healthcare costs in the world and at least part of that high cost is because of all the health issues those lifestyle choices cause - not contribute to, but actually cause. Of course, a lot of people would object to the government taking such an up close and personal interest in our lifestyle choices.

However, just because there is no way we can do EVERYTHING that should be done, that is no excuse to do nothing when we can. Also, a vaccine requirement, unlike all those other areas would NOT stop people from doing things that want to do and are already doing. And there are plenty of examples of mandatory vaccinations already that have had major positive benefits to society. So, your comparison falls a little short.
If we strictly base it on the assumption that there won’t be long term side effects from mRNA vaccines that have had zero long term studies, I see your point. But since no one knows what the long term effects will be, taking the vaccine may very well ultimately stop people from “doing things they want to do”.
Actually a more logical approach to my tongue in cheek suggestion, would be to upcharge the health insurance rates for smokers & overweight individuals…
Old 07-12-2021, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
If we strictly base it on the assumption that there won’t be long term side effects from mRNA vaccines that have had zero long term studies, I see your point. But since no one knows what the long term effects will be, taking the vaccine may very well ultimately stop people from “doing things they want to do”.
Actually a more logical approach to my tongue in cheek suggestion, would be to upcharge the health insurance rates for smokers & overweight individuals…
That's a great idea too, except that would be up to the Insurance companies unless you are advocating government regulation/control of private companies.

But, still is only marginally connected to the COVID Vaccine. Since all of those are lifestyle choices and catching COVID is not.

Let me try an only slightly tongue-in-cheek idea on you. If in a few years we find that there are no significant long-term effects from the vaccine, but we do find that people that have not been vaccinated are responsible for spreading the virus resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people should they be legally held reslpoinsible?
Old 07-12-2021, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
That's a great idea too, except that would be up to the Insurance companies unless you are advocating government regulation/control of private companies.

But, still is only marginally connected to the COVID Vaccine. Since all of those are lifestyle choices and catching COVID is not.

Let me try an only slightly tongue-in-cheek idea on you. If in a few years we find that there are no significant long-term effects from the vaccine, but we do find that people that have not been vaccinated are responsible for spreading the virus resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people should they be legally held reslpoinsible?
First, who could they spread it to, other than non vaccinated people?
Secondly if someone never received the vaccine and never had Covid, how could they possibly be “responsible” for spreading it?
And finally if it turns out that there are long term effects and for example those who received the vaccine were twice as likely to contract cancer, should the drug companies be held legally responsible?!? Oh, wait, they can’t! Our government has already issued them get out of jail free cards…
Old 07-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
First, who could they spread it to, other than non vaccinated people? …
Like children and people who can't be vacinated?

There are non mRNA vaccines...
Old 07-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Like children and people who can't be vacinated?

There are non mRNA vaccines...
Over 9,000 children under 14 die in the US annually. Since the inception of the virus, a total of 297 children have died of COVID-19, out of almost 60,000,000 children. About 0.01% of the children diagnosed with COVID-19 have died. According to the CDC they were predominantly those with extenuating health issues.
Closed Thread

Tags
covid-19, cases, health, county, deaths

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.