Prolotherapy

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Default Prolotherapy

Does anyone have experience with prolotherapy. A non surgical treatment with platelet or stem cell injections to resolve knee pain. Dr Chappell in Ocala does this , I have patella problems and would like to avoid a knee replacement. Any information is appreciated thanks!!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 PM

I had prolotherapy in Mexico for hip/cartilage issues. I avoided a hip replacement and have full range of motion and no pain for four years. I do think the skill of the practitioner is important. I would check to see how many knees he has done.
Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Default yes to prolotherapy

I'm having this procedure done right now. However, (a Villager I am - but living in San Diego currently) not in The Villages.

I had a left ruptured Achilles tendon in 2012, healed without surgery, but then developed two DVT's which were worse than the ruptured tendon, due to immobility. Now, my right Achilles is giving me a run for my money. BTW, left one healed well and stronger than ever.

Also, my doctor is injecting weekly; a combination of Dextrose, Vitamin B-12, Sarapin (pitcher plant), and Marcaine. So far, I have had three sessions of injections and wear a full Velcro boot for immobilization. So far, seems to be working well. I start PT in a week.

I'd do a lot of research and check up on the doctors track record. My doc has injected 600 patient's (3,000 injections) with 80% resolution of pain and over 200 patients avoiding surgery. My Achilles is 25% torn as seen on MRI.

Seems to work well for tendon problems and this doctor specializes in ankle/Achilles area. Do your homework before deciding. I believe previous poster is right; it all depends on the doctor's track record. Good luck.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.