The State of ER Services

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2020, 07:47 AM

It's hard to turn people away. Weill Cornell in NYC has an Urgent Care Facility attached to the ER, and people who are triaged are sent to either UC or passed on the the ER. That way, real emergencies are treated immediately, and even the people who are passed on to UC are seen in a more timely manner.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 AM

Used the ER in Bellevue. Awesome experience. The people were very nice and we were treated immediately.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 AM

Give UF some time. A year. It takes time to change personnel and culture.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,694 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
They can’t turn away anyone, no matter what the issue is, or if they have insurance.
Not true. The ER doesn't have to treat non-emergencies.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:44 AM

More importantly, if people would stop using the ER as their PCP, healthcare would be cheaper.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecaturFargo View Post
More importantly, if people would stop using the ER as their PCP, healthcare would be cheaper.
To the many who cannot afford health insurance, ER is their PCP!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran member
Default ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdr View Post
I would like start a discussion on the state of ER services in TV. I know this issue has been beaten to death over and over.

However its a new day and with the 2 new ER centers that have opened, has there been any improvement?

Has anyone used either of these new ER centers?

How are these new ER centers staffed?

Has the TVRH ER gotten any better with additional centers to absorb the load?
The Ocala ER that is just past the Walmart on 441 about a mile or two is excellent. The wait time is zero to 5 minutes. The staff is very good. I've been there three times and have never had a long wait and they have good medical care. WAY better than The Villages ER!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:12 AM

The Villages Hospital ER has not gotten better. I unfortunately had to use it a week or so ago and it was very poor. Granted there are a lot of people in the villages, however, after 6-7 hours in a recliner chair parked by the noisy nurses with heavy traffic, it took another 5 hours to finally get some pain medication that I had been requesting for over 2 hours. Finally after 12 hours I was moved to a ER bed until a room was available for me to be admitted.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I would like start a discussion on the state of ER services in TV. I know this issue has been beaten to death over and over.

However its a new day and with the 2 new ER centers that have opened, has there been any improvement?

My suggestion is to wait a year and ask this same question. With the new centers just having recently been opened, it's too early to tell the impact. Wait a year. And, yes, this topic HAS been beaten to death! So, wait a year and see if the new additions have made a change.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:20 AM
Default New ER in the VILLAGES

I was having shortness of breath ..heaviness in my chest & went to OCALA ER
on 466 A.. I was very satisfied with their prompt professional service..I was hooked up to many devices..took many blood tests..CT scans etc.When all was medically necessary done, I was transferred to West Marion hospital in OCALA
by SUMTER CO. ambulance, because OCALA ER is an OCALA free standing ER
So I learned..Only inconvenience was the fact they are not connected to the VILLAGES system, so therefore I had to have all my labs repeated..CT etc.
And now I have to get all my medical records etc..from West Marion Hospital
HOWEVER I AM SO EVERY GRATEFULL they were close by..
Old 03-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Sim View Post
I was having shortness of breath ..heaviness in my chest & went to OCALA ER
on 466 A.. I was very satisfied with their prompt professional service..I was hooked up to many devices..took many blood tests..CT scans etc.When all was medically necessary done, I was transferred to West Marion hospital in OCALA
by SUMTER CO. ambulance, because OCALA ER is an OCALA free standing ER
So I learned..Only inconvenience was the fact they are not connected to the VILLAGES system, so therefore I had to have all my labs repeated..CT etc.
And now I have to get all my medical records etc..from West Marion Hospital
HOWEVER I AM SO EVERY GRATEFULL they were close by..

I’m confused. Are you saying Ocala Health won’t share test results with The Villages Hospital?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

In my opinion, the decision makers have known and know the problems with the ineffectiveness of their ER locations. The fact that over the many years there has been no improvement is testimony that the ER is not a priority.

There must be reasons why the stand alone ER in Bellview and those in Ocala get it right....knowledgeable management with the ER as a priority.

IMHO!
Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:

yes, unfortunately we needed to use the new Brownwood ER last weekend. for a new facility, i was impressed on the staff, equipment & performance of the Dr's. we had no wait time, were seen right away, and very pleased @ the overall operations. i'd go again, when need be
Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

[QUOTE=HelenLCSW;1723656]I was in the TVRH ER yesterday and -yes, there was a little glitch but considering that at one point there were 70 people in the waiting room and I heard two stroke codes called plus a heart attack, I think everything was handled as well as possible. Hospital ER’s across the country are overwhelmed as the population continues to grow exponentially. We have an unusually unbalanced population with a higher percentage of over 65ers than anywhere especially during season. I had an ER situation but not an imminently life threatening situation and in spite of that, I was registered, triaged, treated, and discharged in 5 hours (including the glitch of not being able to locate chart info). I do not think that is unreasonable considering how swamped they were. The entire staff was caring and knowledgeable.[/QUOTE i agree. they were VERY good when my husband was admitted, caring & attentive. we never had any problems, & met wonderful doctors.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

[QUOTE=PugMom;1723766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLCSW View Post
I was in the TVRH ER yesterday and -yes, there was a little glitch but considering that at one point there were 70 people in the waiting room and I heard two stroke codes called plus a heart attack, I think everything was handled as well as possible. Hospital ER’s across the country are overwhelmed as the population continues to grow exponentially. We have an unusually unbalanced population with a higher percentage of over 65ers than anywhere especially during season. I had an ER situation but not an imminently life threatening situation and in spite of that, I was registered, triaged, treated, and discharged in 5 hours (including the glitch of not being able to locate chart info). I do not think that is unreasonable considering how swamped they were. The entire staff was caring and knowledgeable.[/QUOTE i agree. they were VERY good when my husband was admitted, caring & attentive. we never had any problems, & met wonderful doctors.
Good to hear good experiences.
Thanx for posting.
Closed Thread

Tags
centers, services, state, opened, absorb

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.