Stroke Awareness - Save Your Brain

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
You may have "some valid" points however I can beg to differ somewhat with you as we've experienced that stroke issue here. I cannot express enough how great the care and expertise (so far) has been. From the EMT's, to the ER folks to the folks on the floor. We have to advocate for ourselves too and remember that doctor's can't read minds neither. WE have to give them as much information as we know it so they can make their determinations.

From our perspective TVRH is great as is the care we've both gotten there.
Thank you Not. I'm extremely happy to hear how pleased you are. Your points are right on target.
I'm convinced the CEO wishes to make certain the best care possible is provided to our community. His detailed response to me is right on target. I hope the stroke issue is on the way to a rapid and complete recovery.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Thank you for sharing critically important information. I read negatives and positives about the villages hospital, about food, slowness, parking. Not being certified to treat a stroke patient is unfathomable.
Did I totally misread the response given by the hospital administrator? He said that TVRH had neurologists available 24/7 and were able to administer clot busting drugs when necessary. They are not able to do neurosurgery, and refer to Leesburg or Shands as appropriate.

My husband was sent to the ER right from our doctor's office on March 6th. He was given a CT scan of the brain and was seen by a neurologist. Other tests were done before it was determined that he had not suffered a stroke. We followed up with a visit to the neurologist today and my husband is being tested for other matters. If it had been determined at intake that transfer to Leesburg was necessary, it would have been done.

As for the hospital, the food isn't bad, and will be better when it isn't shipped in from another facility. The food service at TVRH is shut down currently because of the renovation. You're right, the parking stinks. Finally, slowness. In all fairness, the ER isn't slow - patients are triaged and treated accordingly. While my husband was there, every bay was full, there were patients in the corridor, and I overheard one of the paramedics comment to a nurse that his company had to send two additional ambulances up from Orlando that day because it was so busy. Look at our aging population. Look at the time of year (peak season) - yes, things will be slower than you may like. Nothing is worse than waiting for help when you or a loved one is ill, but everyone is treated by need, and not on a first-come, first-served basis.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
Did I totally misread the response given by the hospital administrator? He said that TVRH had neurologists available 24/7 and were able to administer clot busting drugs when necessary. They are not able to do neurosurgery, and refer to Leesburg or Shands as appropriate.

My husband was sent to the ER right from our doctor's office on March 6th. He was given a CT scan of the brain and was seen by a neurologist. Other tests were done before it was determined that he had not suffered a stroke. We followed up with a visit to the neurologist today and my husband is being tested for other matters. If it had been determined at intake that transfer to Leesburg was necessary, it would have been done.

As for the hospital, the food isn't bad, and will be better when it isn't shipped in from another facility. The food service at TVRH is shut down currently because of the renovation. You're right, the parking stinks. Finally, slowness. In all fairness, the ER isn't slow - patients are triaged and treated accordingly. While my husband was there, every bay was full, there were patients in the corridor, and I overheard one of the paramedics comment to a nurse that his company had to send two additional ambulances up from Orlando that day because it was so busy. Look at our aging population. Look at the time of year (peak season) - yes, things will be slower than you may like. Nothing is worse than waiting for help when you or a loved one is ill, but everyone is treated by need, and not on a first-come, first-served basis.
I explained earlier. I started my answered, walked away and submitted without looking further. The CEO response was posted in that gap. As for food parking etc., I could care less. I care about the treatment being given. I made reference to those items in an attempt to show the importance of the treatment, and the unimportance of those things.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post

Comments well taken. Thanks for your post and I'm pleased to hear things are going well.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

Is there a list regarding what hospital is best to go for this or that?

With so many seniors, healthcare needs to be a first priority. gurneys in halls, wait times, not going here or there for an accident (other post) and so on. I'm alarmed.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Sage

Much of the issue with the hospitals, not just our own, is it's the "high season" and all the visitors, seasonal folks and renters also are being served. We're a state full of retired people. As for parking...I didn't think it was horrible once I got the "lay of the land". I guess I wasn't aware of the valet parking which is great by the way...$5.00 for the day and you can leave and come back on that same dollar...otherwise they have a shuttle too. I never had to wait for that as it seemed to be right where I needed it at the time. Do not park in valet parking otherwise you could get towed...I did get a "naughty slip" one time then I figured things out with the parking. I have to wonder how many folks use the "for urgent care only" parking and aren't using that facility??!!
Otherwise we have a really excellent thing going for us! Can't wait til the new part opens up!!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
We have a friend who recently had a stroke while playing softball. He was taken to TVRH promptly. TVRH is not an accredited Primary Stroke Center. That means TVRH is not equipped to provide the rapid care that can save a stroke victim's brain. Look at our population here folks. We are all potential stroke patients.

Our closest accredited Primary Stroke Centers are: Monroe Regional in Ocala, and Leesburg Regional in Leesburg. Remember this and be sure your friends and relatives know this. These are where you need to be taken if you are having a stroke - save your brain. Be your own advocate. If you are not able, make sure a family member is! Make sure the ambulance is taking you to one of these two hospitals if you have symptoms of a stroke.

We believe our friend will be ok. In the meantime get the word out to your friends and relatives. I intend to contact TVRH to encourage them to establish an Accredited Primary Stroke Center.
Which hospital is closest to the village of Dunedin--the one in Ocala or in Leesburg?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I'm confused by the CEO's response and some of the posters' statements. If I have a stroke, can TVRH administer the brain-saving rapid care or not? I thought there was a medicine that if administered within an hour can lessen the severity of stroke. Do they have the ability to do that?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm confused by the CEO's response and some of the posters' statements. If I have a stroke, can TVRH administer the brain-saving rapid care or not? I thought there was a medicine that if administered within an hour can lessen the severity of stroke. Do they have the ability to do that?

Yes they can. They are licensed by the state to do so but he predicts it will be another year before they can apply for accreditation status as a primary stroke center.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post
Which hospital is closest to the village of Dunedin--the one in Ocala or in Leesburg?

Probably Leesburg
Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Yes they can. They are licensed by the state to do so but he predicts it will be another year before they can apply for accreditation status as a primary stroke center.
Thanks, DB. Then in your opinion (and I won't hold you responsible for this opinion), if someone is having a stroke, is it best to go to TVRH to get the fastest administration of this medicine?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Thanks, DB. Then in your opinion (and I won't hold you responsible for this opinion), if someone is having a stroke, is it best to go to TVRH to get the fastest administration of this medicine?

Based on what the ceo reported to me I would be comfortable going to TVRH for stroke care. They have the people and protocols in place - at this point they are working to get everything together to prove themselves worthy of accreditation.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.