Sudden pain here, there, and everywhere

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2020, 02:40 AM
Default Sudden pain here, there, and everywhere

Hands, shoulders, legs, knees and feet--and more recently my neck.
Blood tests did not indicate rheumatoid arthritis or polymyalgia rheumatica--so I am at a loss to figure out what is causing this. ....Doctor concluded osteo arthritis, and the only relief is ibuprofen. But I'm wondering if it isn't more serious as the pain is pretty intense, especially in the morning. Today while taking a nap, I felt pain suddenly in my hands and arms--burning and throbbing. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I would love to hear if there is something out there that the doctor may have missed. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Lyme possibly Lyme Disease: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
Old 01-09-2020, 08:05 AM

Could be your statin. I had the same problem after taking Lipitor for quite a while. You can stop it and see if symptoms persist. It takes a week or so to leave your bloodstream.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj6426 View Post
Blood tests did not indicate rheumatoid arthritis or polymyalgia rheumatica--so I am at a loss to figure out what is causing this. ....Doctor concluded osteo arthritis, and the only relief is ibuprofen. But I'm wondering if it isn't more serious as the pain is pretty intense, especially in the morning. Today while taking a nap, I felt pain suddenly in my hands and arms--burning and throbbing. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I would love to hear if there is something out there that the doctor may have missed. Thank you.
I guess the three big questions are: How sudden was the onset, how long has it been going on, and are there any additional symptoms?
Did you have a cold or flu-like illness 1-3 weeks prior to the onset of this pain, if so, consider a post-viral polyarticular polyarthropathy
If you are taking a hydroxy methyl glutaryl Coenzyme A inhibitor (statin), the above post may be correct
Fibromyalgia generally does not have a sudden onset, and usually first presents to patients in their 30's
It is still possible to have seronegative RA.
I do have some concern over the diagnosis of osteoarthritis if it was truly a sudden onset.
Best advice would be to see a good rheumatologist (yes, I know that's sort of an oxymoron)

Good luck and hope you feel better
Old 01-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I guess the three big questions are: How sudden was the onset, how long has it been going on, and are there any additional symptoms?
Did you have a cold or flu-like illness 1-3 weeks prior to the onset of this pain, if so, consider a post-viral polyarticular polyarthropathy
If you are taking a hydroxy methyl glutaryl Coenzyme A inhibitor (statin), the above post may be correct
Fibromyalgia generally does not have a sudden onset, and usually first presents to patients in their 30's
I do have some concern over the diagnosis of osteoarthritis if it was truly a sudden onset.
Best advice would be to see a good rheumatologist (yes, I know that's sort of an oxymoron)

Could be Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)Your symptoms sounds very similar to what happened to me. If a day or two on Prednisone makes the symptoms disappear than that’s a good possibility of what it could be. Worth discussing with your doctor and reading about it online.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
Could be Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)Your symptoms sounds very similar to what happened to me. If a day or two on Prednisone makes the symptoms disappear than that’s a good possibility of what it could be. Worth discussing with your doctor and reading about it online.
I believe the OP stated that his physician had already ruled out PMR by blood tests (PMR typically has an extraordinarily high ESR over 70 or 80)
Discussing with doctor---definitely
Reading online---not so much, you will either get bad or confusing info
Old 01-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:

I have RA, osteo-arthritis as well as fibromyalgia. I used GE post too as he's a retired dr., I believe. He's right about seronegative RA as it won't show up in blood-work. I didn't get my diagnosis for the RA right away...in fact I began the symptoms suddenly when we still lived up north. I went to my pcp (who didn't do labs) that directed me to a neurologist, who I fired (long story there). I eventually just decided I would live with it and it was horrible. That was about a year before we moved here..in 2008 or so. It wasn't til 2011 when an astute dr. in taking my history and asking a plethora of questions sent me for labs. They took 15 vials to rule out various things. It was then I was found to have RA. I can recommend Dr. Catherine Sullivan at the Specialty Clinic as a rheumatologist. I've gone through 5 before finding her and she's very good. You can private message me if you have any other questions.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Agree that you should get checked for Lyme disease.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I believe the OP stated that his physician had already ruled out PMR by blood tests (PMR typically has an extraordinarily high ESR over 70 or 80)
Discussing with doctor---definitely
Reading online---not so much, you will either get bad or confusing info
I have PMR despite normal ESR and other blood tests. Have been dealing with it for two years.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
I have PMR despite normal ESR and other blood tests. Have been dealing with it for two years.
Unfortunately, I can't teach rheumatology 101 in a paragraph. Suffice it to say there is a great deal of overlap in both the symptom complexes and lab evaluation of the rheumatologic diseases, so much so that there is even an entity called "overlap syndrome" The only significant difference between PMR and fibromyalgia is the typically elevated ESR in the former and younger age of onset in the latter, but of course there are exceptions. A lot of physicians don't even believe in fibromyalgia as a legitimate disease since there is no definitive lab marker for it, so everything becomes PMR with a normal sed rate, especially in the over 55 crowd. So, you're both right and wrong at the same time. What we really need is a definitive lab marker for fibromyalgia, which would help distinguish the two apart, but even then there would be exceptions
Old 01-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

GE, I think I'm suffering from Dunlap Syndrome?

Seriously how can you have pain and numbness in your feet and limbs at the same time? I have almost quit WEBMD totally. Many wasted weekends worrying about misdiagnosis by Dr. Nucky instead of waiting until my DOCTOR's appointment. The guy with the Certificate always has a better answer than I. Pain is ruining my little life. I feel for the OP and hope relief is around the corner.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,458 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
GE, I think I'm suffering from Dunlap Syndrome?

Seriously how can you have pain and numbness in your feet and limbs at the same time? I have almost quit WEBMD totally. Many wasted weekends worrying about misdiagnosis by Dr. Nucky instead of waiting until my DOCTOR's appointment. The guy with the Certificate always has a better answer than I. Pain is ruining my little life. I feel for the OP and hope relief is around the corner.
I have intermittent pain and numbness in my left foot. It's Morton's neuroma. Basically a little growth on a nerve between the 4th and 5th toe. There's no treatment for it, and the cure is to surgically sever the nerve. It can be managed with good shoes and orthotics with metatarsal support, massage, and that's pretty much it.

For me it's totally manageable, plus I'm more of a barefooter which is actually helpful since it allows the toes to spread out, thus relieving the pressure on the nerve.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:24 AM

Sounds more like a back problem with a pinched nerve - I have herniated discs and have similar symptoms - go to a neurologist and be checked out by them
Old 01-10-2020, 07:42 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj6426 View Post
See a neurologist first —could be a pinched nerve
If nothing, check your calcium level —if it is over 10.1 you may have a parathyroid tumor —then contact Norman parathyroid center inTampa
Old 01-10-2020, 08:13 AM

Our friend had Lyme disease and it took the doctors 2 years for a proper diagnosis. Insist on a test NOW. The longer you wait, the more permanent damage you incur
Closed Thread

Tags
pain, doctor, arthritis, hands, morning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.