Sugar, Sugar Ugh!

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 AM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 4,006
Thanks: 81
Thanked 204 Times in 109 Posts
Default Sugar, Sugar Ugh!

Trying to cut down on sugar intake....Is there ANYTHING that is a good snack that is NOT loaded with sugar....I must be living under a rock, had NO idea that cereal is LOADED with sugar...
  #2  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM
cybermuda cybermuda is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you want to replace boxed cereal at breakfast, try switching to porage.

Make with water (no sugar or salt) and microwave for two minutes, then add blueberries or other berries

Go for the 'traditional' rather than the 'quick' oats as they give the stomach a better work-out, and definitely avoid any with stuff already added - maple syrup, brown sugar etc.

I buy Quaker in a bag or drum, but Winn-Dixie's own own almost as good (and on special right now)


Once you start getting off sugar, it's amazing how quickly you don't miss it.
  #3  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,207
Thanks: 2,934
Thanked 2,517 Times in 910 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
If you want to replace boxed cereal at breakfast, try switching to porage.

Make with water (no sugar or salt) and microwave for two minutes, then add blueberries or other berries

Go for the 'traditional' rather than the 'quick' oats as they give the stomach a better work-out, and definitely avoid any with stuff already added - maple syrup, brown sugar etc.

I buy Quaker in a bag or drum, but Winn-Dixie's own own almost as good (and on special right now)


Once you start getting off sugar, it's amazing how quickly you don't miss it.
Even porridge, oats or wheat, are carbohydrates that your body will convert in part to sucrose.

If you are trying to adjust your intake because of diabetes, cheese and raw vegetables are a good snack.
  #4  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Avista's Avatar
Avista Avista is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Another low sugar cereal is Uncle Sam's. Sugar less than 1 Gram. Also 10 gram of fiber per 3/4 cup. Look for a red and white striped border. Available at Wal-Mart and I have also found it at Publix.
__________________
Chicago, Cary, and Champaign, IL
Winchester, IN
Lancaster, OH
Tampa, FL
  #5  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
zcaveman's Avatar
zcaveman zcaveman is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Villages
Posts: 7,884
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Wheaties, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice, and Shredded Wheat are my cereals - low in sugar.

Try the sugar free Murray cookies for a snack.
__________________
Jacksonville, Florida
Andover, New Jersey
The Villages

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
  #6  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Ohiogirl Ohiogirl is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seasonal Villager - summer in Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default glycemic index

sure would be nice if part of the FDA label on food included the glycemic index, instead of just the carb count. I've been looking online, but the same item (unless it's a raw veg or fruit) varies a lot depending on which index you use.

Amazingly, found out that the glycemic index Uncle Ben's Converted rice is around the same (maybe even a little less) than brown rice. Still not something you will eat unlimited amounts of. Hope this is true. Brown rice has a gram of fiber, though, and UB's has 0.

I think Freeda had a post a while back explaining the glycemic index a lot better than I can.
  #7  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Ohiogirl Ohiogirl is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seasonal Villager - summer in Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Wheaties, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice, and Shredded Wheat are my cereals - low in sugar.

Try the sugar free Murray cookies for a snack.
Where do you buy Murray cookies?
  #8  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
salpal's Avatar
salpal salpal is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 638
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

greek yogurt is a good low or no sugar snack
  #9  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Freeda's Avatar
Freeda Freeda is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Village of Hillsboro, The Villages
Posts: 589
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
sure would be nice if part of the FDA label on food included the glycemic index, instead of just the carb count. I've been looking online, but the same item (unless it's a raw veg or fruit) varies a lot depending on which index you use.

Amazingly, found out that the glycemic index Uncle Ben's Converted rice is around the same (maybe even a little less) than brown rice. Still not something you will eat unlimited amounts of. Hope this is true. Brown rice has a gram of fiber, though, and UB's has 0.

I think Freeda had a post a while back explaining the glycemic index a lot better than I can.
I am in a bit of a rush b/c assisting my daughter in Louisville with a medical treatment today; but the problem with all carbs (even many of the healthy-sounding ones, like containing 'whole grain', etc) is that unless they are low-glycemic (below 55 on the glycemic index) or at most moderate-glycemic, the body converts them quickly into sugar - glucose - and so they spike the blood sugar just the same (and sometimes even more) as if they had actually 'sugar' (sucrose) as an ingredient. That is the problem with food labeling; the sugar content labelling is not all that helpful at best and is misleading at worst. Glycemicindex.com is a good place to start in understanding this.

This issue, which is the current trend in nutritional science, yet still poorly understood/not taught to our physicians, nutritionists and other healthcare providers (if it were, we wouldn't see the fast food places and vending machines full of snack crackers in our hospitals ; but I digress) is one of the biggest reasons for the weight problems/type II diabetes epidemic in the western-diet world, and is one of the reason type II diabetics following standard advice tend to stay type-II diabetics. Most cereals (but not all - some bran cereals, for example, are not) are high-glycemic and spike the blood sugar unnaturally regardless of what the label says as to the 'sugar' level per serving.

Not surprisingingly the food industry opposes the FDA requiring glycemic-index labelling on food products.
__________________
Freeda Louthan
Lexington KY 1951-1972, Louisville KY 1972-2007
The Villages FL since 2007 - Home for good, at last

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
  #10  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
K9-Lovers's Avatar
K9-Lovers K9-Lovers is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Posts: 2,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Other foods that your wouldn't think to avoid are listed below. They turn to sugar during digestion:

white potatoes
corn
bananas
rice
bread
catsup
alcohol (yes, that includes wine and beer)
there are lots more. . .

Freeda gave good advice regarding glycemic index -- that's the best way to adjust your diet to remain healthy.
__________________
K9-Lovers
  #11  
Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 4,006
Thanks: 81
Thanked 204 Times in 109 Posts
Default Sure would like to know

what I can eat, sounds like there are tooooo many things to NOT eat....Especially looking for something besides celery to munch on
during those "gotta have something" periods. I've been on-line and amazed by the long list of BAD things.....Can you have an artifical sweetner like Splenda?
  #12  
Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
K9-Lovers's Avatar
K9-Lovers K9-Lovers is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Posts: 2,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Splenda is okay. But NO nutrasweet or aspertame. The best and most healthy is stevia. But get the liquid stevia because the powdered has a bitter aftertaste. I get my stevia online from Amazon.
__________________
K9-Lovers
  #13  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 4,006
Thanks: 81
Thanked 204 Times in 109 Posts
Default K-9 you are never ending source of good info

We would also like to know if popcorn is acceptable, I'm afraid I know the answer.....Isn't there something wonderful that doesn't give me a sugar high!....giggle...




Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Splenda is okay. But NO nutrasweet or aspertame. The best and most healthy is stevia. But get the liquid stevia because the powdered has a bitter aftertaste. I get my stevia online from Amazon.
  #14  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
K9-Lovers's Avatar
K9-Lovers K9-Lovers is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Posts: 2,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default No/Low Sugar Treats and Snacks

Lots of people say popcorn is a healthy treat. BUT it is almost all carbs which cause weight gain and turns to sugar when digested (cause it is corn). Especially when you add butter and salt (and my favorite, parmesan cheese). But I love popcorn so I save all my popcorn eating for when I go to the movies. Other than that, no popcorn for me.

A good healthy snack is nuts! I get the big containers from Sams Club. I eat both salted and unsalted. They say unsalted is best but you have to have some vices! The healthiest nuts are walnuts.

If you can make yourself only eat a small bit, dark chocolate is good for you. I buy Dove (cause it's the creamiest) at Walgreens. They have the big bars that are 72% chocolate. Inside the package there are 3 wrapped sections. I eat a section a day, usually. Some days I skip.

Okay, now I'm going to share some EASY recipes with you that are sugar free and very good:

Chocolate Fudge

6-7 oz unsweetened Ghiradelli chocolate squares (buy good chocolate at Fresh Market, they look like candy bars but are 100% chocolate with no sugar)
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
3/4 - 1 cup erythritol (order from amazon.com)
1 cup Splenda
splash of stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water. While the chocolate is melting, grind granulated erythritol in food processor or blender until in powder form.

Remove melted chocolate from heat. Add peanut butter and let it melt completely, stirring. Then add all other ingredients. Spread into loaf pan and put in fridge to cool and harden. Cut with a knife that has been heated by running under hot water.

Really yummy. (Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and is safe to eat. Very low carbs)

~~~~~~~~~~

K9's Favorite Healthy Cookies

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

DRY INGREDIENTS
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/3 cups Quaker Oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

WET INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
1 cups Splenda
2/3 cups granulated erthritol (sugar substitute)
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup canned pumpkin -- not pump.pie filling
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds -- (optional)
tablespoon wheat germ -- (optional)

ADDED INGREDIENTS
2+ cups chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds -- (optional)
1 1/2 cups raisins or craisins

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 greased baking sheets or use silpat.

Mix together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet in 3 batches, folding to combine. Fold in Added Ingredients.

Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets. They don't spread very much so they can be placed only an inch apart. Flatten the tops of the cookies with a fork or your fingers to press into cookie shape.

Bake for 16 minutes. Rotate baking sheets halfway through for even baking. Cool. Taste best when cooled and set.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, one more:
Low Carb Cheesecake

5 8 ounce pkgs cream cheese (room temp.)
1/4 cup heavy cream (room temp.)
36 packages sugar substitute (splenda)
7 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Beat cream cheese with sweetener until smooth. Add eggs, cream, extract, lemon juice and salt. Beat for 5 minutes. pour into a greased springform pan and bake 12 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 and bake 35 minutes longer. Turn off oven and leave cake in for another 30 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan. Refrigerate overnight and remove from pan before serving. Cake may crack during baking, but that is normal. Freezes well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last one:
Pumpkin Pie Low Carb

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese -- softened
2 cups canned pumpkin -- mashed
1 1/2 cups spenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, plus 2 yolks -- slightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter -- melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the splenda and salt, beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filling into a prepared pie crust, or into a baking dish or ramekin with no crust. (I do individual baking dishes with no crust).

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature. Serve with whipped cream.

Better the next day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
__________________
K9-Lovers
  #15  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 4,006
Thanks: 81
Thanked 204 Times in 109 Posts
Default Goodness K9, Love you

Yummmmm!....Thank you, Thank you





Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Lots of people say popcorn is a healthy treat. BUT it is almost all carbs which cause weight gain and turns to sugar when digested (cause it is corn). Especially when you add butter and salt (and my favorite, parmesan cheese). But I love popcorn so I save all my popcorn eating for when I go to the movies. Other than that, no popcorn for me.

A good healthy snack is nuts! I get the big containers from Sams Club. I eat both salted and unsalted. They say unsalted is best but you have to have some vices! The healthiest nuts are walnuts.

If you can make yourself only eat a small bit, dark chocolate is good for you. I buy Dove (cause it's the creamiest) at Walgreens. They have the big bars that are 72% chocolate. Inside the package there are 3 wrapped sections. I eat a section a day, usually. Some days I skip.

Okay, now I'm going to share some EASY recipes with you that are sugar free and very good:

Chocolate Fudge

6-7 oz unsweetened Ghiradelli chocolate squares (buy good chocolate at Fresh Market, they look like candy bars but are 100% chocolate with no sugar)
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
3/4 - 1 cup erythritol (order from amazon.com)
1 cup Splenda
splash of stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water. While the chocolate is melting, grind granulated erythritol in food processor or blender until in powder form.

Remove melted chocolate from heat. Add peanut butter and let it melt completely, stirring. Then add all other ingredients. Spread into loaf pan and put in fridge to cool and harden. Cut with a knife that has been heated by running under hot water.

Really yummy. (Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and is safe to eat. Very low carbs)

~~~~~~~~~~

K9's Favorite Healthy Cookies

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

DRY INGREDIENTS
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/3 cups Quaker Oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

WET INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
1 cups Splenda
2/3 cups granulated erthritol (sugar substitute)
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup canned pumpkin -- not pump.pie filling
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds -- (optional)
tablespoon wheat germ -- (optional)

ADDED INGREDIENTS
2+ cups chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds -- (optional)
1 1/2 cups raisins or craisins

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 greased baking sheets or use silpat.

Mix together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet in 3 batches, folding to combine. Fold in Added Ingredients.

Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets. They don't spread very much so they can be placed only an inch apart. Flatten the tops of the cookies with a fork or your fingers to press into cookie shape.

Bake for 16 minutes. Rotate baking sheets halfway through for even baking. Cool. Taste best when cooled and set.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, one more:
Low Carb Cheesecake

5 8 ounce pkgs cream cheese (room temp.)
1/4 cup heavy cream (room temp.)
36 packages sugar substitute (splenda)
7 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Beat cream cheese with sweetener until smooth. Add eggs, cream, extract, lemon juice and salt. Beat for 5 minutes. pour into a greased springform pan and bake 12 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 and bake 35 minutes longer. Turn off oven and leave cake in for another 30 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan. Refrigerate overnight and remove from pan before serving. Cake may crack during baking, but that is normal. Freezes well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last one:
Pumpkin Pie Low Carb

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese -- softened
2 cups canned pumpkin -- mashed
1 1/2 cups spenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, plus 2 yolks -- slightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter -- melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the splenda and salt, beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filling into a prepared pie crust, or into a baking dish or ramekin with no crust. (I do individual baking dishes with no crust).

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature. Serve with whipped cream.

Better the next day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.