Sugar, Sugar Ugh!

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Sage

Thanks, K9.

Jebartle, are you able to eat fruits, or is that out? I love fresh, raw in-season fruit and nuts as a snack.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

If you are trying for low-glycemic (low sugar, too), the BERRIES are best: strawberries, black berries, raspberries, etc.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Thanks pturner

Love fruits, including boo-hoo bananas...What is that old saying "If I knew I was going to live this long, I sure would have taken better care of myself"....my weakness has always been chocolate, and thought it was time I cleaned up my act.....Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Thanks, K9.

Jebartle, are you able to eat fruits, or is that out? I love fresh, raw in-season fruit and nuts as a snack.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM

what about nuts for snacks etc.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Where do you buy Murray cookies?
Publix in the cookie aisle. In the sugar free aisle you can get a nice sugar free sweet and lo cake mix. Makes a great cake.

I make the yellow cake mix in a round cake pan and cut it in half (horizontally?) and make a sugar free vanilla pudding (w 1 1/2 cups milk) and use that as a filling and put the top back on and pour sugar free Hershey's syrup on top and make my Boston Cream pie.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Publix in the cookie aisle. In the sugar free aisle you can get a nice sugar free sweet and lo cake mix. Makes a great cake.

I make the yellow cake mix in a round cake pan and cut it in half (horizontally?) and make a sugar free vanilla pudding (w 1 1/2 cups milk) and use that as a filling and put the top back on and pour sugar free Hershey's syrup on top and make my Boston Cream pie.
Oh boy, that sounds great -- like a Boston Cream Pie cake. Yum.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Sage
Default Wondering about a fat-free diet

Checked out a book by Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, and his studies are based on NO fat diet.....Does anyone in the Villages have any experience with this....That means NO animal fat, dairy....His book explains that many case studies show that being on this diet, not only improved G Index but in more than 3/4 of the cases, have gone off all
medication...Sure would like to know if anyone in the Villages has had a personal experience with this...
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We stopped eating animal products and my doctor said my diabetes is gone. (Yes, yes, I know it really didn't go away, it is still lurking somewhere just waiting for me to eat the wrong stuff, but that's what my doctor said!)

Once in a while we eat some cheese. For milk, we use soy, almond or coconut milk, except it won't whip up, so we use cool-whip (not good for you) in rare cases. We do eat eggs, but we buy those from a farm where the chickens are not tortured.

We do eat fish and other seafood, but nothing from Thailand or Vietnam, etc. cause that is not healthy. (Look it up on the internet....read the labels at Sam's Club closely).

Once you give up animal products, breads, pastas, and eat more veggies and fruits, plus get rid of all the other stuff I mentioned earlier (corn, bananas, etc) the the weight falls off and your diabetes will be much improved.

When you give up the animal products, you rarely eat anything fatty. You don't even have to think about it. Or count calories, or worry about carbs (because remember you gave up bread, pasta, potatoes, corn, bananas, rice, flour, sugar, etc.)

Now once in a while, I'll make one of my sugar-free desserts and some have flour or cream cheese, but that is an exception, and cheese is a fatty animal product.

The answer is YESSS!! It will work. Now, Freeda can probably explain all the technical and scientific reasons much better than me, but I can assure you that your high blood sugar will disappear if you are consistent. Because your body has permanently changed, the diabetes will always be lurking inside, and your blood sugar will elevate if you begin eating the wrong stuff again.

Plus, don't forget to make Moses happy with a daily walk.

If you decide to give this a go, I can give you some good menu ideas so you won't feel deprived.

And, while you are reading about health, get the book "The China Study" because it will change your life.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 AM
Sage
Default Wow!

That is amazing! What is also amazing in this book, Dr. Barnard mentions that this study was really based on countries that have a very low diabetic rate(2 percent), like Japan...They studied their diets and low and behold, no animal fat...More amazing the diabetic rate in Japan has increased since our fast food restaurants (McDonald's, B King etc) have moved there!...Wow, K9, I owe you a giant hug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
We stopped eating animal products and my doctor said my diabetes is gone. (Yes, yes, I know it really didn't go away, it is still lurking somewhere just waiting for me to eat the wrong stuff, but that's what my doctor said!)

Once in a while we eat some cheese. For milk, we use soy, almond or coconut milk, except it won't whip up, so we use cool-whip (not good for you) in rare cases. We do eat eggs, but we buy those from a farm where the chickens are not tortured.

We do eat fish and other seafood, but nothing from Thailand or Vietnam, etc. cause that is not healthy. (Look it up on the internet....read the labels at Sam's Club closely).

Once you give up animal products, breads, pastas, and eat more veggies and fruits, plus get rid of all the other stuff I mentioned earlier (corn, bananas, etc) the the weight falls off and your diabetes will be much improved.

When you give up the animal products, you rarely eat anything fatty. You don't even have to think about it. Or count calories, or worry about carbs (because remember you gave up bread, pasta, potatoes, corn, bananas, rice, flour, sugar, etc.)

Now once in a while, I'll make one of my sugar-free desserts and some have flour or cream cheese, but that is an exception, and cheese is a fatty animal product.

The answer is YESSS!! It will work. Now, Freeda can probably explain all the technical and scientific reasons much better than me, but I can assure you that your high blood sugar will disappear if you are consistent. Because your body has permanently changed, the diabetes will always be lurking inside, and your blood sugar will elevate if you begin eating the wrong stuff again.

Plus, don't forget to make Moses happy with a daily walk.

If you decide to give this a go, I can give you some good menu ideas so you won't feel deprived.

And, while you are reading about health, get the book "The China Study" because it will change your life.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Well, I would say to go to Blockbuster to rent the movie "Food, Inc." because it is chock full of information that everyone should know about the food in the grocery stores .. .. .. but, they are no longer renting.

But if you have another source, rent that movie. It's all about nutrition and it will help you, too.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I have shredded wheat (0 sugar) or Fiber One (1 gm maybe) with cinnamon.
It's pretty good.

for a snack, I'll have wasa crackers (several kinds) with either peanut butter or cheese.....

best wishes, this is hard, I know,
but I've gotten to enjoy what I eat

and no bananas - yellow (ie: corn) or white stuff.. empty carbs convert to sugar too
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post

Mmmm. If you ever need some neighbors to come help you eat it, we're available.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=zcaveman;337167]Publix in the cookie aisle. In the sugar free aisle you can get a nice sugar free sweet and lo cake mix. Makes a great cake.

Thanks Caveman - Ohioboy liked the Murray Choc Chip cookies. Will buy them again.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Gold member
Default encouragement

By the way, for those of you diagnosed with pre-diabetes, you CAN lower your glucose with diet and exercise, or at least Ohioboy did (for the 2nd time - we got laze after the first time and started eating potato salad, choc chip cookies etc.).

This time (had a physical in December and got the glucose meter & strips along with the diagnosis of pre-diabetes), he was retired here in TV, where it is easier for most of us to get or keep fit - he likes to bike, swim laps at the sports pool and we're starting to play pickleball. No time yet for tennis, but it's on the horizon. He's also lost about 10 lbs (pretty effortlessly, but then he's a guy - don't get me started about that)!

We've been pretty good about eating healthy and THIS TIME plan to KEEP eating that way. He just had a f/u visit where they looked at all his meter readings, and he is doing great, doesn't even have to do it every day, only every 2 or 3 weeks to make sure he's staying on track.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

I've been reading labels for years now. Stay away from processed foods, the whites (sugar, flour, rice). Alot of hidden sugars in foods (might be in the no-sugar items too as they gotta make it taste good). Truvia and Stevia are better than Splenda for you. Don't drink Diet Soda...it will make you crave foods to eat AND it chock full of sodium. I think going on the strict diets or food plans some have mentioned here, for the long haul probably aren't something most people would want to do. I went to a class for diabetics and it's all about the good carbs and moderation along with exercise. I've done about every "diet" there is in this world.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.