Surgical Masks

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2020, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts
Default Surgical Masks

I saw a few people wearing surgical masks at Walmart today. And, I checked Amazon and they have no masks for sale with Prime delivery. So, a lot of people are buying them. The CDC and other briefings on television seem to be continually advising people that, only sick people and health care workers, should be using masks to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. But, there are numerous health articles online that say masks can offer some protection to prevent healthy people from getting a virus. I am a skeptical person. It seems to me that, if you are travelling on an airplane, wearing a mask would provide some protection. At least, if you touch a surface with an active virus on it, having a mask on would remind you and prevent you from touching your mouth. I don't want to dispute the CDC, but I would feel safer wearing a mask on an airplane. Would anyone else?
Old 03-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I would not feel any safer. I am not buying a mask.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

For a mask to provide any protection it has to to have completee coverage of nose and mouth. No gaps.
The majority of masks being sold are no better than holding a handkerchief to your face, in fact not as good.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

If we have a shortage of masks and the healthcare providers can't get them, we are in real trouble.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Just yesterday the hospital my wife works at was custom fitting hospital personnel with N-95 masks. Then again we're pretty much the current epicenter of the virus in the U.S. I'm guessing it might already be too late for a good number of nurses but it might provide some measure of protection from spreading it.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-05-2020, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Just yesterday the hospital my wife works at was custom fitting hospital personnel with N-95 masks. Then again we're pretty much the current epicenter of the virus in the U.S. I'm guessing it might already be too late for a good number of nurses but it might provide some measure of protection from spreading it.
That fitting is done yearly, medical people are exposed daily to whatever. One may not find out for a week or two, of the exposure.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:29 AM

They only remind you to stop touching your face and keep you from transferring germs by touching it. JetBlue sent me an email stating that they have brought in a doctor to advise them on how to keep the planes and the crew safer. They are increasing the cleaning and disinfecting of everything and on request will provide passengers with sanitizer and disinfecting wipes. Since this virus has more of an effect on older people you are bound to see more masks here, but unless they are sealed to their face they are useless. I've been trying to find hand sanitizer and wipes, but the stores are sold out as fast as they come in. I was given a recipe to make hand sanitizer that includes rubbing alcohol and aloe vera, and guess what? Yup those are empty spots on the store shelves as well. Washing your hands with soap is the best defense and do it often.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilting3grammy View Post
They only remind you to stop touching your face and keep you from transferring germs by touching it.

Not true.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:43 AM

I agree that health care workers NEED them...but stop trying to tell me that they will work for health care workers, but they won't work for me.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:55 AM

"having a mask on would remind you and prevent you from touching your mouth"

That seems to be the consensus.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:16 AM

N95 respirator masks will offer some protection . You can go to YouTube and learn how how healthcare workers are trained to wear them properly. If they did not protect you, why would healthcare workers wear them??
I bought mine at the end of January This coronavirus is coming to America and it hits people over 65 very very hard
Old 03-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
"having a mask on would remind you and prevent you from touching your mouth"

That seems to be the consensus.

consensus does not make fact..................check with CDC.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Plane travel: Carry disinfectant wipes and wipe down everything you might touch (seat pockets, tray tables, armrests, etc.). Have antiseptic hand lotion and use if after the wipe down. Offer them to your seat mate as well. If possible, stay out of the toilets; if not, use same procedure with wipes and lotion. Air is probably safe (at least the aircraft ventilation). Most are HEPA filtered and the air is bleed air from the engines. If someone sneezes / coughs, the particles can travel 6 ft. or more if not captured in a tissue or handkerchief. All airlines have implemented increased cleaning procedures but not completely thorough. Masks (even N-95 non custom) serve little purpose except with those already infected to help prevent spread. The primary mode of transmission is touching a contaminated surface and then your nose, mouth, eyes, etc.). The regular Flu this year is primarily an influenza B strain and is more potent than the more typical influenza A strain. Currently much more widespread than COVID 19 worldwide. Travel safe.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:51 AM

Again if n95 masks don’t protect you, why is their a shortage for healthcare workers. They protect them if used properly and you can be trained to wear them properly like I have
Old 03-06-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Over 18,000 have died in the US from the flu this year. The sky is falling.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, masks, prevent, wearing, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.