Surgical Masks

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Default Mask or no Mask..

All 3 of my Doctors told me the exact same thing, unless I have the flu, NO MASK.. Over the last few weeks I've knocked down popcorn texture mudded and sanded 20 gallons of drywall mud on my job so I've worn a mask pretty much the entire time I'm at work.. Last week one of my painters missed 4 days with the flu and this week I missed 3 days with the flu, WTH where did I catch it? Home to work, work to home an empty house zero contact with ANYONE..... that makes no sense.. at least until the owners came by to drop off some paper work and the wife apologized for not stopping by to see us for awhile she was out sick with the flu and only came by when no one was there. hahahaha The flu is like death when it wants ya it's gonna get ya no matter how careful you are.. Kinda like the guy awhile back in Fla. that was reading from the safe confines of his bed when a sink hole swallowed him up.. Keep you hands sterile and in your pockets... with your fingers crossed..
Old 03-07-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I guess it's a matter of choice but I guess it would be a little protection. Me personally I don't want to look like I'm from China. It's just a little to much for me because you could get Coronavirus just touching products at the store or if someone sneezes & that person that sneezes is up wind from you, you could walk right into their infection 15 ft. away. You couldn't eat in restaurants because you would have to eat from their utensils, touch the bill to pay, touch the door to leave or come in. It's just a little to much for me to wear a mask. I would be so paranoid that I couldn't use my hands again. Me myself I just wash my hands all the time but I still could catch it. But if you don't mind wearing a mask where one but that really doesn't mean you couldn't catch the virus. But it would help some I guess!
The Chinese/Koreans/Japanese/Asians/Health Care providers wear them so they do not look like someone from the Villages......
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-07-2020, 03:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

I'm wearing a coffee filter with masking tape.

Masking tape.............
Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

On his show tonight, Tucker Carlson reported that the Government has been lying to us about masks being useless in protecting us against the Coronavirus. I always suspected it.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Right. Some of the masks I have seen worn won’t filter out a virus. They are micron sized and even Heppa filters do not work 100% of the time on viruses. Even with an N95 the odds that you or even health care workers will get it 100% sealed and pretty small. But health care workers see a lot of people some of whom will have the virus, and some of the workers will get the virus anyway so the mask helps the, from spreading it if they aren’t aware they have it right away. We have a choice, minimizing contact and washing hands correctly will do far more than any mask, IMHO.
You DO realize that a "surgical mask" is sufficient when patients are required to undergo invasive procedures under sterile conditions, correct???? NO, not as effective as N-95 (when available) but historically used when the patient is surgical and invasive procedures leave them most at risk for nosocomial infections????
Old 03-31-2020, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

This is my layman's thought process about masks.

We have been told to wear standard masks (because most citizens don't have access to the others) only if we have symptoms, in order to protect others. If an inexpensive mask is recommended to help prevent the spread of the virus when we cough or sneeze, it makes sense to me that wearing one will similarly help prevent me from being infected by others. Emphases on HELP prevent. Even if it's only a little, why not.

Another factor for me personally is an autoimmune disease that affects my lungs and causes a dry cough. I rarely leave the house but I've had to be out a few times this month and don't want any people who see and hear me coughing to start putting tree trunks across my driveway.

Last edited by queasy27; 03-31-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfortin View Post
If the virus can enter from a mucus membrane, a mask will do you very little good, your eyes are open..... Panic and fear .
Best post I have seen. Forget the masks and just stay home and wash your hands.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

There have been some positive reports on the creative and entrepreneurial spirit as more and more individuals are finding ways to manufacture the stuff that's needed. There was a report last night on a surgeon who took the "blanket" that covers the surgical instruments in the operating room and wondered if he could breath through it. Hmmmm.....he could. Today individual seamstress's are making them and a major company is now looking at it for mass production. The American spirit continues to fight

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Meanwhile Wuhan (all use face mask) are recovering from virus. Must be a good idea.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

I like masks! I think they can be quite stylish and keep away bad breath and people from spitting and you have to take them off to smoke. So even under “normal” circumstances they could be a good idea. Also I find people keep thinking I’m a lot younger when I wear a mask.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
On his show tonight, Tucker Carlson reported that the Government has been lying to us about masks being useless in protecting us against the Coronavirus. I always suspected it.
Oh great, lets all listen to the talking heads on the network of your choice and believe what they say so we can all be safe. Lets not listen to doctors or science, what the heck do they know.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Oh great, lets all listen to the talking heads on the network of your choice and believe what they say so we can all be safe. Lets not listen to doctors or science, what the heck do they know.
I just saw Dana Perino intervew Dr. William Haseltine, former Harvard Medical School professor. He said it is a good idea for anyone to wear a mask when going out, and that he just ordered some masks.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:

When and how to use masks
Old 03-31-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I just saw Dana Perino intervew Dr. William Haseltine, former Harvard Medical School professor. He said it is a good idea for anyone to wear a mask when going out, and that he just ordered some masks.
He said that if you are infected or sick or experiencing symptoms it protects other people around you, it will also have a spacing impact by making you aware of people around you so you can keep your distance and if you touch something it may prevent you from touching your face. He also said that there is a psychological impact, it may make you calmer and feel safer. He did not say it would prevent you from getting it but it would help change behavior, make you feel better and give you an awareness which should keep you safer. Most of what I read is that the cloth masks will not seal so if someone coughs or sneezes near you it will find the gaps.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
He said that if you are infected or sick or experiencing symptoms it protects other people around you, it will also have a spacing impact by making you aware of people around you so you can keep your distance and if you touch something it may prevent you from touching your face. He also said that there is a psychological impact, it may make you calmer and feel safer. He did not say it would prevent you from getting it but it would help change behavior, make you feel better and give you an awareness which should keep you safer. Most of what I read is that the cloth masks will not seal so if someone coughs or sneezes near you it will find the gaps.
Basically, I agree that is what he said. But, it is very contrary to what other doctors have been saying for the past month or so. In fact, some are saying that the mask will have a negative psychological impact by creating a false sense of security. Obviously, nothing is going to totally prevent you from getting or spreading the virus. But, when you can spread the disease when you don't even have symptoms, wearing a mask will surely have some preventive effect on giving it to someone else. And, it will be a reminder to yourself to not touch your face. Also, the doctor told Dana Perino that he had ordered masks for his own use.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, masks, prevent, wearing, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.