Surgical Masks

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

The issue of masks has been discussed in other threads. I posted a few studies on use of simple surgical masks vs N95 masks vs no masks before.

To summarize there have very few studies studying utility of masks. One from China showed no benefit to a simple surgical mask in a hospital setting. The N95 masks did work

A study from Canada in hospital nurses had both N95 and simple surgical masks equally effective or equally ineffective. There was no control group to see what the rate with no mask might have been.

Lastly a study from Australia where there was a sick child with flu like illness in the home. Some were given no mask, some a simple surgical mask, some an N95 mask with no specific fitting and the rate of the adults becoming ill was compared. The wearing of any mask was calculated to reduce contagion by 60-80% with no difference in success with either mask over the other. There are lots of imperfections in this study including this was intense exposure, poor compliance with keeping the mask on, and exposure to the sick child before entry into the study. But there was clear evidence that a simple mask in an intense exposure was much better than nothing.

I could not find any studies on wearing a mask in a community setting. But it makes sense to me that some barrier is better than no barrier. Whether the barrier works by keeping droplets from being inhaled or just as a reminder to not touch your face, or scares strangers away from you, whatever the mechanism. When the CDC says there is no evidence that wearing a mask will protect you from Covid in a community setting, that is 100% true. However the reverse is also true. There is no evidence that it won't help.

The CDC is correctly trying to advise on evidence of what does help.. hand washing, proven, avoid touching your face, strongly suggestive proof based on mode of entry, spacing based on knowledge of droplet mechanics. Mask.. no evidence or weak and contrary studies. But those who say it can't hurt, other than depriving medical personnel of PPE [a big point not to be ignored] have some merit in their argument.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

There are studies, and there is common sense.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There are studies, and there is common sense.
So if there were a well designed study and the findings were the opposite of that which you might define as common sense, which would you believe? It was common sense that the earth was flat, that the sun went around the earth, that the stars and the planets effected our lives, that the devil caused epilepsy, that drawing blood cured illnesses, that white people were better than black or brown or yellow or red people. I know which I'd use to make my decisions when the two are in conflict.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
So if there were a well designed study and the findings were the opposite of that which you might define as common sense, which would you believe? It was common sense that the earth was flat, that the sun went around the earth, that the stars and the planets effected our lives, that the devil caused epilepsy, that drawing blood cured illnesses, that white people were better than black or brown or yellow or red people. I know which I'd use to make my decisions when the two are in conflict.
I agree. But, as an engineer, I trust that buildings are designed for safety. But, whenever I step into an elevator, I always look to see if there is a floor to step onto. To me, that is common sense.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

img_0913-jpg

I knew keeping our WW2 gas masks would pay off one day!
Still have the three of them.
Problem is the filters have broken down, and you can't breath in them!
Old 04-03-2020, 02:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMOH View Post
I agree that health care workers NEED them...but stop trying to tell me that they will work for health care workers, but they won't work for me.
I agree 100% with your post. I like most of us understand our medical professionals have to have them first because they work but please don’t tell if the General public wore N95 masks it would not have a positive effect on flattening curve. We plain ass got caught flat footed and can’t come up with the PPE for ordinary citizens so must rely on the near complete shutdown of economy.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Meanwhile Wuhan (all use face mask) are recovering from virus. Must be a good idea.
How do you know for certain that everyone there uses a face mask? If you believe that because the Chinese government said it, I have some bridge property on I75 and I4 that I will let go real cheap.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:44 PM

A few days ago there was a post on this forum of a Youtube by the head South Korean doctor who specializes in fighting virus such as Coronavirus. I suggest anyone who has doubts of the efficiency of face masks should look at this Youtube. The only reason the Pense task force was not recommending face masks was because there weren't any masks available for the general population
On the issue of selling bridges are you having any luck..oh and by the way do you have any TP going cheap.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine48 View Post
A few days ago there was a post on this forum of a Youtube by the head South Korean doctor who specializes in fighting virus such as Coronavirus. I suggest anyone who has doubts of the efficiency of face masks should look at this Youtube. The only reason the Pense task force was not recommending face masks was because there weren't any masks available for the general population
On the issue of selling bridges are you having any luck..oh and by the way do you have any TP going cheap.
See graph for info on how S Korea is doing vs the world

http___com-ft-imagepublish-upp-prod-us-s3-amazonaws-jpg
Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

This has been posted before. Fauci equivilant in S Korea.

Hear what he has to say about the use and impact of masks:

Korea's Foremost Infectious Disease Expert (Dr. Fauci Counterpart)
Closed Thread

Tags
people, masks, prevent, wearing, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.