Surgical Masks

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
Again if n95 masks don’t protect you, why is their a shortage for healthcare workers. They protect them if used properly and you can be trained to wear them properly like I have

Exactly.

Most bozo's on the street don't.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 523 Posts

I bought two N95 masks, in case I get sick and have to go to a doctor or hospital.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:30 AM

Well. It seems obvious to me that if Amazon isn't carrying something, how can there be a need for it?
Old 03-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilting3grammy View Post
They only remind you to stop touching your face and keep you from transferring germs by touching it. JetBlue sent me an email stating that they have brought in a doctor to advise them on how to keep the planes and the crew safer. They are increasing the cleaning and disinfecting of everything and on request will provide passengers with sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.
I bought Sonos wipes years ago because I was flying so much and getting colds when traveling. The wipes ended that. We also wipe down hotel rooms and cruise cabins. I also carry hand sanitizer when traveling.

The Sonos are great because, unlike most wipes, they kill viruses. I’ve heard that the tray tables are the most-important things to wipe down, but I clean everything I might touch. You need to let it dry for a few minutes for full effectiveness.

It’s not surprising that they are currently sold out, but here’s the link for Amazon:

SONO Travel Safe Medical Grade Disinfecting Wipes for Airplanes, Cruise Ships, Gyms, Schools, Offices, Kitchens, Bathrooms, Toilets, CPAP Masks and Machines, Vinyl Upholstery, Cell Phones (3 Pack) Robot Check
Old 03-06-2020, 09:06 AM
theruizs

The flu has already killed more people this year than the coronavirus. You are much better off keeping your hands clean. The mask won’t keep you from touching your eyes or when you are taking it off and putting it on. Health care workers wear them for two reasons, yes to minimize their chance of getting it due to the volume of sick people they may see, but more importantly not transfer it to all the people they see if they themselves get it (takes awhile for symptoms to show). Same reason surgeons wear them, to keep the patient safe. Minimize your contact with others if you’re really worried, and wash, wash, wash, your hands.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:12 AM

16,000 people have died from the flu this season, so far. Yet hardly anyone seems to be worried about the flu! Why? That is just in the U.S.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM

No, not flying & breathing all the germs in. Imagine being quarantined on the tarmac for 2 weeks? No. Thank. You. Lol.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilting3grammy View Post
They only remind you to stop touching your face and keep you from transferring germs by touching it. JetBlue sent me an email stating that they have brought in a doctor to advise them on how to keep the planes and the crew safer. They are increasing the cleaning and disinfecting of everything and on request will provide passengers with sanitizer and disinfecting wipes. Since this virus has more of an effect on older people you are bound to see more masks here, but unless they are sealed to their face they are useless. I've been trying to find hand sanitizer and wipes, but the stores are sold out as fast as they come in. I was given a recipe to make hand sanitizer that includes rubbing alcohol and aloe vera, and guess what? Yup those are empty spots on the store shelves as well. Washing your hands with soap is the best defense and do it often.
You don't "have" to use aloe vera gel. The gel is just what you mix it with so that the alcohol isn't so drying to your skin. You can use pure rubbing alcohol; you'll just have shrivelled fingers (which you can then add moisturizer to).

Why don't you already have a bottle of rubbing alcohol in your house? I just assumed everyone had one in the bathroom cabinet.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Yes I would want one on a plane.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I saw a few people wearing surgical masks at Walmart today. And, I checked Amazon and they have no masks for sale with Prime delivery. So, a lot of people are buying them. The CDC and other briefings on television seem to be continually advising people that, only sick people and health care workers, should be using masks to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. But, there are numerous health articles online that say masks can offer some protection to prevent healthy people from getting a virus. I am a skeptical person. It seems to me that, if you are travelling on an airplane, wearing a mask would provide some protection. At least, if you touch a surface with an active virus on it, having a mask on would remind you and prevent you from touching your mouth. I don't want to dispute the CDC, but I would feel safer wearing a mask on an airplane. Would anyone else?
I guess it's a matter of choice but I guess it would be a little protection. Me personally I don't want to look like I'm from China. It's just a little to much for me because you could get Coronavirus just touching products at the store or if someone sneezes & that person that sneezes is up wind from you, you could walk right into their infection 15 ft. away. You couldn't eat in restaurants because you would have to eat from their utensils, touch the bill to pay, touch the door to leave or come in. It's just a little to much for me to wear a mask. I would be so paranoid that I couldn't use my hands again. Me myself I just wash my hands all the time but I still could catch it. But if you don't mind wearing a mask where one but that really doesn't mean you couldn't catch the virus. But it would help some I guess!
Old 03-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Exactly.

Most bozo's on the street don't.
I'm one of those bozo's that don't. But if a person that has Coronovirus walks by you & somehow you catch the virus, you like me, wouldn't be name calling, I personally would be PO'd that I didn't wear a mask. I really think if you're going to catch the virus, you'll catch it even if you have the whole Coronavirus suit on, because all you have to do is have one little slip up!
Old 03-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Default Plain surgical masks are different than N-95 masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohare4 View Post
I agree that health care workers NEED them...but stop trying to tell me that they will work for health care workers, but they won't work for me.
It's not that masks will work for one and not the other... There is a difference between the plain paper surgical mask and the N-95. The function of the paper mask would only be to remind YOU not to touch your face. Masks that the healthcare providers are being fitted for are "form-fitted" to your face and can filter viruses.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdot View Post
It's not that masks will work for one and not the other... There is a difference between the plain paper surgical mask and the N-95. The function of the paper mask would only be to remind YOU not to touch your face. Masks that the healthcare providers are being fitted for are "form-fitted" to your face and can filter viruses.
Yep.. Where my wife works all nurses are now wearing fitted N-95's and if they're treating a COVID-19 positive patient they have to wear a PAPR..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-06-2020, 11:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

at the local coffee shop>
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	88941109_2824610104275246_6975832633158664192_n.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	83129  
Old 03-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

The Villages Florida

Tags
people, masks, prevent, wearing, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.