Taste Buds: Why some don't like healthful foods

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Sage
Default Taste Buds: Why some don't like healthful foods

A long time ago I mentioned on this board that we tend to lose our sense of taste as we get older. That's because someone said, "health food consists of items like birds nest, tofu and cardboard."

Evidently, a study was done on this subject and I now have the result.

Average number of taste buds remaining at 75: 36%

This may partly explain why people in their 70s suffer rapidly declining health. Healthy whole foods don't taste good to them while fast food tastes great.

I myself haven't noticed any decline in my sense of taste. I continue to eat natural whole foods and seldom add any salt. I never buy any groceries with added sweetener. Fats in my diet come mostly from nuts.

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-09-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Gold member

It's really nobody else's business if a 75-year-old or a 20-year-old or a centenarian wants to have a dash of salt and pepper on their dinner, or a teaspoon of sugar on their oatmeal or Wheaties.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

I never cared for most vegetables much especially salads. That's healthful but that's not good for me. Don't care for eating meat much. So, that's unhealthful yet since I don't eat much so that's good. I love fruits which is healthful so that's good. I love sweets so that's unhealthful so thats's not good. So guess I need to stick to fish to live longer.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Sage

As my parents aged they seemed to embrace the comfort foods my mom made when I was little.
I like both old and new [except for coconut].
Old 02-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,763 Posts

From what I read Warren Buffett literally never touches a green/red/yellow/leafy vegetable. He appears to exist on steaks, hamburgers, potatoes and cherry cokes. Although he does not physically resemble Arnold Schwarzenegger his brain seems to be working quite well.

Humans are omnivorous. We can eat just about anything and survive.

My father seemed to survive mostly on ice cream the last 5 to 10 years of his life and he lived to 94.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Gold member

I eat a blend of about 70 percent good, 20 percent okay and 10 percent what I want...seems to work. As with most things common sense rules and when my body wants something healthy it tells me in many ways, but some people refuse to listen and suffer...if only they'd suffer in silence....
Old 02-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My taste for fruit; particularly bananas and cherries is still very much with me.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
A long time ago I mentioned on this board that we tend to lose our sense of taste as we get older. That's because someone said, "health food consists of items like birds nest, tofu and cardboard."

This may partly explain why people in their 70s suffer rapidly declining health. Healthy whole foods don't taste good to them while fast food tastes great.

I myself haven't noticed any decline in my sense of taste. I continue to eat natural whole foods and seldom ad any salt. I never buy any groceries with added sweetener. Fats in my diet come mostly from nuts.
Care to explain your conclusion that you lose taste buds for "healthy foods" but not the taste buds for fast food?
Also, I've never eaten a bird's nest. What does one taste like? Chicken?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Sage

Quote:

I myself haven't noticed any decline in my sense of taste. I continue to eat natural whole foods and seldom ad any salt. I never buy any groceries with added sweetener. Fats in my diet come mostly from nuts.
please provide sources
Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 AM

I remember in his later years, my father couldn't taste anything except spicy things, mostly chili. Eventually, he took over the kitchen and cooked himself chili every night. I'm not at that point, but I noticed my tastes are changing. I use a lot more pepper of all kinds on everything I make. Except Cheerios.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Average number of taste buds remaining at 75: 36%.
I'd like to read the details of this study.
How many people over age 75 were tested and how did they determine the percentage of tastebuds remaining?
Please quote the source of this interesting study.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-08-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
It's really nobody else's business if a 75-year-old or a 20-year-old or a centenarian wants to have a dash of salt and pepper on their dinner, or a teaspoon of sugar on their oatmeal or Wheaties.
I agree - I've seen no evidence that proves a dash of salt or a teaspoon of sugar causes disease or death.
In order to reach the age of 75, a person probably already has decent eating habits.
I think having a supportive circle of friends contributes more to good health than eating twigs, weeds and cardboard.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-08-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I love 'seefood'. I see it I eat it!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Mom and Dad eat 'freezer food' most evenings. When they come visit I put them on food restriction, which means I grill SOMETHING easy every night. They do love any leftovers, even freezer food....
Old 02-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Care to explain your conclusion that you lose taste buds for "healthy foods" but not the taste buds for fast food?
Also, I've never eaten a bird's nest. What does one taste like? Chicken?
Obviously, to some degree, older people would lose their taste for both. But fast foods are known to be tastier, so elderly people may gravitate toward items like pizza, hamburgers, ice cream, pies etc..

Items like broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower would not likely be very appealing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.