Anti inflammatories

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Anti inflammatories

is anyone using any of these anti inflammatory meds. Ketoprofen, Celebrex or Turmeric..... if so what have been your results...thx.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Gold member

Haven't used them, to many side affects for me. Try Arnica, a natural product.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM

The first 2 are prescription drugs. Turmeric is a spice. I would try that before any of the scripts. If you take turmeric you also have to take a black pepper extract called Bioperine which is needed to be taken in conjunction with the tumeric.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Gold member

Go see a doctor before using any of the *ahem* "natural" products. As for the prescription drugs you should also go see a doctor because not everyone reacts the same way to any given drug...common sense should dictate your actions not the advice from total strangers...
Old 02-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Go see a doctor before using any of the *ahem* "natural" products. As for the prescription drugs you should also go see a doctor because not everyone reacts the same way to any given drug...common sense should dictate your actions not the advice from total strangers...
I believe and hope the OP was asking if anyone has suffered side effects or had success with these drugs - not to make a decision, but for information.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Haven't used them, to many side affects for me. Try Arnica, a natural product.
Turmeric is not a prescription drug, it's a spice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
If you take turmeric you also have to take a black pepper extract called Bioperine which is needed to be taken in conjunction with the tumeric.
I've been taking turmeric for a couple of week. It has really helped some of my friends (anecdotal).
I've never heard of bioperine. I'll be googling it tonight. Thanks for the info kellyjam.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Fred, I see nothing wrong with chatting with friends about natural products or prescription meds.
I don't think you can obtain prescription meds without a prescription from a MD? Perhaps that is incorrect.
I think the OP is merely asking for some friendly feedback from others who have used these products.
By your *ahem*, I take it you're not a fan of using natural products?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Default tumeric has helped

I add tumeric to my egg beaters each morning. It took awhile but I no longer need to wear my brace to exercise. Google it. It has many positive benefits.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Turmeric is not a prescription drug, it's a spice.

I've been taking turmeric for a couple of week. It has really helped some of my friends (anecdotal).
I've never heard of bioperine. I'll be googling it tonight. Thanks for the info kellyjam.
My pleasure Barefoot. I have been using it for a week so too soon to post any results. I have been trying a Nutrivive Tumeric Curcumin supplement 500mg twice a day. Each 500 has 2.5mg of Bioperine which from what I have read should be around 10mg per 500mg. So I got a bottle of Bioperine 10mg tablets and take one with each capsule.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield View Post
I add tumeric to my egg beaters each morning. It took awhile but I no longer need to wear my brace to exercise. Google it. It has many positive benefits.
Springfield, how long have you been taking tumeric? Do you also take bioperine?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

there is some preliminary evidence that turmeric may help arthritis.
Curcuminoid Treatment for Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial - Panahi - 2014 - Phytotherapy Research - Wiley Online Library
A Randomized, Pilot Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Curcumin in Patients with Active Rheumatoid Arthritis - Chandran - 2012 - Phytotherapy Research - Wiley Online Library

Both of these articles are behind a paywall so I cannot read anything but the summary.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Been taking tumeric for 12 yrs along with numerous other supplements. A recent study showed that many supplements contain "fillers." Some contain none of the ingredient it's advertised as. scary!!!
Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 AM

read some dr. andrew weil's books. has some interesting info on anti-inflammatory diet. turmeric highly recommended.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Been taking tumeric for 12 yrs along with numerous other supplements. A recent study showed that many supplements contain "fillers." Some contain none of the ingredient it's advertised as. scary!!!
You are so right. This also goes for regular OTC medications that use their brand name on a product. Just because it has a familiar brand name attached to it, doesn't mean that it even has that particular ingredient in it. This is very misleading to the lay person, and even to us professionals, if you don't check the ingredient list on the package. ALWAYS check the ingredient labeling on a product much like you would do on your grocery products to know what is really in that package. As far as using natural products, I'm all for it as a substitute for medication if it works for you. Keep in mind though, because they are "natural" does not mean they are without side effects and/or interactions with other drugs you may be on. I know a friend who used so much cinnamon that she had a terrible reaction to it. I was thinking of taking a natural product myself to help with liver health and decided against it when I saw that it is contraindicated if you suffer from allergy to ragweed which I do. So just be aware - educate yourself before you jump into these things. And back to the comment quoted above, most of these products are not regulated by any agency as to content or potency, etc., so be careful in purchasing, that you buy from a reputable company.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsterdad View Post
read some dr. andrew weil's books. has some interesting info on anti-inflammatory diet. turmeric highly recommended.
Sorry, saw this after my first post, but yes, dietary changes may help too. Sugar is becoming quite well-known to be a promoter of inflammation. Many people have gotten at least some level of pain relief by eliminating sugar from their diet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.