Television Ads for Children's Hospitals

Television Ads for Children's Hospitals

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Can someone please explain why I should send money to the heavily advertised children’s hospitals like Shriners and St. Jude? As far as I know, all major hospitals accept tax deductible donations and they have a children’s ward, where most of them provide excellent care for sick children. There is also Medicaid that provides millions of taxpayer dollars to treat sick children who cannot afford good health insurance. And, it is illegal to not have health insurance, if you can afford it. These TV ads provide no specific information to differentiate themselves from other facilities. Is it just hype to make money, or do they really provide something different?
Why not check out the websites of these hospitals, and do some google searches for more information? Also there is a website called Charity Navigator Charity Navigator - Your Guide To Intelligent Giving | Home where you can check out thousands of charitable organizations and non-profits.

Also it is not "illegal" to not have health insurance, whether you can afford it or not. Medicaid does not provide any money to sick children based on the *quality* of their health insurance. If they qualify to have mediocre health insurance, and have only mediocre health insurance, then they are not eligible for Medicaid at all.

You can learn all of these things on the internet. I would never take an advertisement for ANYTHING at face value, and certainly not matters of life or death, or financial investment.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Charity Navigator is very well respected for their reviews of charitable organizations.

Charity Navigator - Rating for ALSAC - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
I've used them for years, to ensure my money is going to legitimate and worthy causes.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Note : There are NO FINES, Penalties, Garnishments, in 2019 ...furthermore if the penalty does return : The IRS will hold back the amount of the fee from any future tax refunds. There are no liens, levies, or criminal penalties for failing to pay the fee. ( healthcare.gov website)

NO CRIMINAL PENALTIES - Most of America and Consumers have NO CLUE what the Affordable Care ACT is and what it is NOT. To be clear, the ACA ...AKA Obamacare is NOT working for everyone however it does work to a degree for those who qualify for subsidies and have chronic medical conditions.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Sage

Research first. Rant later, if warranted.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Why not check out the websites of these hospitals, and do some google searches for more information? Also there is a website called Charity Navigator Charity Navigator - Your Guide To Intelligent Giving | Home where you can check out thousands of charitable organizations and non-profits.

Also it is not "illegal" to not have health insurance, whether you can afford it or not. Medicaid does not provide any money to sick children based on the *quality* of their health insurance. If they qualify to have mediocre health insurance, and have only mediocre health insurance, then they are not eligible for Medicaid at all.

You can learn all of these things on the internet. I would never take an advertisement for ANYTHING at face value, and certainly not matters of life or death, or financial investment.
I think that the ACA requires almost eveyone to have health insurance, with very few exceptions. The penalties for not having insurance are not being enforced, but I believe it is still illegal to not have insurance.

I do use Charity Navigator a lot, and often read the Form 990, which is required by the IRS as an annual financial reporting document. I usually find that these forms are deliberately misleading and it is almost impossible to determine whether a charity is spending their money efficiently. Hopefully, Charity Navigator's ratings are not based solely on the Form 990.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
I think that the ACA requires almost eveyone to have health insurance, with very few exceptions. The penalties for not having insurance are not being enforced, but I believe it is still illegal to not have insurance.

I do use Charity Navigator a lot, and often read the Form 990, which is required by the IRS as an annual financial reporting document. I usually find that these forms are deliberately misleading and it is almost impossible to determine whether a charity is spending their money efficiently. Hopefully, Charity Navigator's ratings are not based solely on the Form 990.
As someone else said previosly - Nope, not illegal.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
As someone else said previosly - Nope, not illegal.
You are correct. As of January 1, 2019, the ACA individual mandate was eliminated by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, passed in December, 2017.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Can someone please explain why I should send money to the heavily advertised children’s hospitals like Shriners and St. Jude? As far as I know, all major hospitals accept tax deductible donations and they have a children’s ward, where most of them provide excellent care for sick children. There is also Medicaid that provides millions of taxpayer dollars to treat sick children who cannot afford good health insurance. And, it is illegal to not have health insurance, if you can afford it. These TV ads provide no specific information to differentiate themselves from other facilities. Is it just hype to make money, or do they really provide something different?
We all donate to the charities where we have a comfort level and you should do the same. It's easy to sit at at keyboard and search sites for information without deep diving on the sites credibility .....that is your prerogative. After all, it is on the internet so must be true. I have visited St Judes, talked to survivors families and looked at their success rate since founded. I will continue to support St. Judes as my primary cancer treatment center for kids charity. To answer your question, yeah, the really do provide something different and yeah, while not hype they do need to raise money so they must talk about what they do. No different than any other charity, it is the way they survive.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Research first. Rant later, if warranted.
Amen.....so many posters are watching television and are told something and they simply believe every word, log on and fire away...facts be damned
Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We all donate to the charities where we have a comfort level and you should do the same. It's easy to sit at at keyboard and search sites for information without deep diving on the sites credibility .....that is your prerogative. After all, it is on the internet so must be true. I have visited St Judes, talked to survivors families and looked at their success rate since founded. I will continue to support St. Judes as my primary cancer treatment center for kids charity. To answer your question, yeah, the really do provide something different and yeah, while not hype they do need to raise money so they must talk about what they do. No different than any other charity, it is the way they survive.
Got em in my will so that says it for me
Closed Thread

Tags
provide, hospitals, insurance, ads, children’s