Tetanus Shot--Interesting scenario

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Default Tetanus Shot--Interesting scenario

While at primary care doctor, wife asked to have a tetanus shot and it was given.
A few weeks later she received a bill for it from the doctor.
Wife has medicare and a supplement and probably hasn't received a bill for medical care since turning 65.She also has medicare part D.
As it turns out--a flu shot given in a doctor's office is covered, BUT for a tetanus shot to be covered it comes under Part D--AND has to be given by a PHARMACY.
In discussing bill with doctor's billing office they stated that the usual procedure is for the doctor's office to advise patient that they could get it done for FREE ( if they had part D ) if they simply went to a pharmacy for the shot.
So---check all the rules before you decide on a shot!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:01 PM

I was told by my doctor that a tetanus shot would be covered by Medicare if there was an injury that required it, but not a regular maintenance booster.

Don't know if this is true.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage

From Medicare.gov:
Tdap shot (tetanus, diphtheria, & pertussis shot)
How often is it covered?

Tdap is the adolescent and adult booster shot for tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (also called whooping cough). The childhood shot is called DTaP. Both protect against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough).

Generally, Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D) covers all commercially available shots needed to prevent illness. Contact your Medicare drug plan for more information about coverage.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I read this to say that the coverage for the cost of the shot is determined by the provider of your prescription drug plan, not Medicare A or B. Depending on who you have for Part D, "your mileage may vary." Generally, this is as described by the OP.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
I was told by my doctor that a tetanus shot would be covered by Medicare if there was an injury that required it, but not a regular maintenance booster.

Don't know if this is true.
I was told the same thing! IF you have a wound that may require it, then it's covered!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM

My wife was also charged for a Tetanus shot at her primary care Doctors office, she was NOT told her insurance would cover it at a pharmacy.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Also, the villages residents ought to petition to the local politicians to ban "restrictive covenants" imposed by big medical groups on employed physicians or providers! We are not "business interests" objects, we are patients who are persons requiring relief from a trusted physician not from "trust on physician business LLC"
Old 03-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Several years ago when I was starting to get Medicare, I was told by my doctor that it was time for me to get a Tdap, so I agreed to it, and Medicare covered it. I had no prescription coverage at that time. I had no insurance supplemental either as I was too young to qualify even though I was already getting Medicare.
Closed Thread

Tags
shot, part, bill, tetanus, doctors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.