Alzheimer's saddens me.

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Platinum member
Angry Alzheimer's saddens me.

I was saddened today when I phoned a friend who was born on Groundhog Day to wish her a Happy Birthday, and she told me that her sister, who had been my classmate in college, has developed Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. This may be the first time that I have gotten a glimpse of what married couples go through when one spouse develops Alzheimer's. It hurts to think that an old friend, whose company I enjoyed, is now sitting in a home with all memory of me erased from her mind.

My friend still sends her sister birthday cards which are read to her by her companion, but he says she shows no glimmer of perception regarding her family. Very sad.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

There's so little to say, Carl. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

My college room mate (with whom I have kept in touch all of these centuries) and I regular shared our experiences in watching our parents sink into dementia and cry about it. As Rick likes to put it, aliens have stolen mom's brain.

I have now lived with my father-in-law's Alzheimer's and death; my father's misdiagnosed dementia (most likely Parkinson's) and death; and my mother's vascular dementia and current decline. And, given her family history, I will likely live thru my wife developing Alzheimer's.

Dementia sucks. How the federal government can justify spending huge amounts to deal with ebola in Africa and virtually none on research for cures for dementia leaves me wondering who sets the priorities. Certainly no one with a speck of common sense.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Default Alzheimers saddens me

I am so sorry for you. My dad died from this disease last Christmas. It was so hard watching him go through this. Sometimes I would think he recognized me but then that awful glaze would come over and I knew he was out of it again. When he passed we were so sad but knew he was now in a better place as he could do nothing for himself and would not want to live like that. We all need to just be so grateful for everyday we have and enjoy it, we never know how long we have.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Sage

I'm sure most of us retirees have encountered dementia in one form or another.
It's devastating when loved ones don't recognize us.
Alzheimer's saddens us all.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 AM

I watched father suffer for nearly 15 years with this disease before he died at 76, now I am watching my mom go through the same thing-she is being brought for a visit tomorrow and only then will I know for sure if she will know who I am or have that look of fear on her face. This is very hard on everyone involved but for me the hardest part for me is wondering if or when it will happen to me-scares the crap out of me! I truly feel for anyone dealing with this horrible disease.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!

Last edited by jimmemac; 02-03-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I have been watching my Mom go through this for the past 8 years. Dad is 81 and still provides for her. This is so sad for all involved. I wish things were better than this slow death. On the other hand I am glad to still be able to give her a kiss.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

The Jan / Feb 2015 AARP Bulletin was an interesting, enlightening and sad article on Dementia. It talks about the growing problem and the lack of research funding.

Alzheimers Research Funding Lags Other Diseases- Dementia - AARP
Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

So sorry, Carl. I have experienced this with several members of my husband's family so I know what you are going through. It is such a great loss, akin to death really, as the friend/family member you once knew is no longer there. God bless you, Carl, and your friend's family as you journey through this trying time.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I have been watching my Mom go through this for the past 8 years. Dad is 81 and still provides for her. This is so sad for all involved. I wish things were better than this slow death. On the other hand I am glad to still be able to give her a kiss.
Bay Kid - I love what you had to say. When my husband's aunt was suffering with dementia, one of her sons just stopped going to see her because he felt there was nothing he could do and it served no purpose. It broke our hearts to hear that, but that was a choice he made and ultimately had to live with. Everyone is different, but I love your sentiment of still being able to give your mom a kiss.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Sage
Default Lots of research has already been done:

A tremendous amount of information has already been acquired through scientific research. All we need to do is pay attention to it, take it seriously and put it to use in our everyday lives. Then pass it on to children and grandchildren.

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Things-.../dp/0316086843
Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Dr. Mary Newport has a YouTube video out on her effective work on memory loss and Altzheimer's with Coconut Oil. It's a must see: /www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9INyTTXfR0
Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Bay Kid - I love what you had to say. When my husband's aunt was suffering with dementia, one of her sons just stopped going to see her because he felt there was nothing he could do and it served no purpose. It broke our hearts to hear that, but that was a choice he made and ultimately had to live with. Everyone is different, but I love your sentiment of still being able to give your mom a kiss.
Many have lost their parents. I am so lucky.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Many have lost their parents. I am so lucky.
Indeed you are. And they are lucky to have such a caring son.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.