a ny doctor shared his results using hydroxycloroquine chloroquine/azithromycin
200mg 2x daily hydroxy chloroquine
500mg 1x daily azithromycin
220mg 1x daily zinc sulfate

350 patients
• breathing restored 3-4 hours
• zero deaths
• zero intubations

so there are more firsthand reports coming out of nyc, the possibility of returning to normal sooner than later is still dependent upon social distancing to break the infection rate. However, stay vigilant until the pandemic is over

bahrain claims success with anti-malarial drug used on coronavirus patients

sportsguy
Old 03-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

[QUOTE=GoodLife;1733955]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That's not what the comments are about. The misinformation is the anecdotes and accolades. This combination is not readily available to the public. It is not "proven" to work in humans for Coronavirus. It is being tested. You can't just get a prescription for it, and if you try to get a prescription for the individual parts of the combination and take it, you could end up dead.

Again - this cocktail is not yet PROVEN to be effective. It is being studied. Sure there's hope that the end result will be an effective treatment. And sure that result might come quickly, now that it's being studied.

But it is misinformation to claim that it has already been proven to work, OR that "a family friend who I know so well I'm not even sure how old they are" took it and recovered the next day, while under hospital care, and therefore it MUST be that cocktail and there's absolutely no possibly way that the virus had already completed its journey through the patient's body and was simply over the next morning."

And this person knows for sure because he's a doctor? Nah - because he's a stock trader.

Get real people. You're not stupid, you managed to live long enough to get a lovely home in a wonderful community. Surely you got here by not being that gullible.[/QUOTE

Stop trying to scare people and telling them what they are allowed to post, you are not the hall monitor here. Millions of people (including me) have taken plaquenil drug for malaria, and millions have taken Z-Pak (including me) for infection and they are just fine. These drugs are in wide circulation. Doctors in Miami, New York and all over the world are now giving these drugs to coronavirus patients per FDA guidelines, clinical trials have also started, and there is nothing wrong with posting about it.
As a daily user of plaquenil, I can only tell you that prior to allowing me to take this drug, I was required to visit the eye doctor for examination in order to set a baseline because as my MD told me, damage to the retina is possible, and I a required to have that retina exam each year to insure no damage. Ther are other side affects for the drug, much depending on the patient.

Giving out ANY drug on a request basis is plain wrong and irresponsible,

There are about 90 drugs now being tested, and you certainly can post about it, but making claims on any forum based on no medical knowledge at all. That will cost lives.

We are living in a society that is scared, and, to me, that is preying on their fears. Having factual information given to us is the ONLY safe way to promulgate drug information.

EVERYONE is hoping for something......I recall the anxious waiting on the swine flu vaccine and the very long lines to get the shot.

We all can and should hope, but broadcasting little ancedotes and ignoring real medicine is wrong ant potentially fatal.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

[QUOTE=Bucco;1734019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post

As a daily user of plaquenil, I can only tell you that prior to allowing me to take this drug, I was required to visit the eye doctor for examination in order to set a baseline because as my MD told me, damage to the retina is possible, and I a required to have that retina exam each year to insure no damage. Ther are other side affects for the drug, much depending on the patient.

Giving out ANY drug on a request basis is plain wrong and irresponsible,

There are about 90 drugs now being tested, and you certainly can post about it, but making claims on any forum based on no medical knowledge at all. That will cost lives.

We are living in a society that is scared, and, to me, that is preying on their fears. Having factual information given to us is the ONLY safe way to promulgate drug information.

EVERYONE is hoping for something......I recall the anxious waiting on the swine flu vaccine and the very long lines to get the shot.

We all can and should hope, but broadcasting little ancedotes and ignoring real medicine is wrong ant potentially fatal.
You dont need a retinal eye exam to take plaquenil for malaria or coronavirus since it's only a 1 or 2 week course. Stop confusing people with misinformation.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

[QUOTE=GoodLife;1734032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

You dont need a retinal eye exam to take plaquenil for malaria or coronavirus since it's only a 1 or 2 week course. Stop confusing people with misinformation.
I have no idea how long is required on any treatment.

I was sharing warnings received from DOCTORS.

Medicating based on internet posts is wrong.....of that, I am certain. NOT MISINFORMATION, but medicating based on posts surely is misinformation. There are almost 100 different drugs currently being tested, including plaquenil, to fight this virus. Praying for a breakthrough is a good thing.....making a rash decision based on a post on this or any forum is not responsible. Many, not me at this point, are now having trouble getting this drug because of the rush to have a doctor write a prescription and the drug is now on the shortage list.

I will suggst my doctor consult with you on next visit
Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I believe this will end sooner than media says. [opinion] They always have an axe to grind and it usually does not benefit people. [opinion] Information will leak out from different sources and confirmation will come with consensus. [opinion] These drugs have been peer reviewed in Europe and apparently they work. [now that is stated as a fact]
And here we are again. Somebody has learned the magic words "peer reviewed" And somebody has not provided a link to support the claim that hydroxychlor/zith has been peer reviewed. The French small study has been released online PRIOR TO peer review. It is interesting but it only evaluated the clearance of viral positive testing after patients were give hydroxychloroquine. And there were exclusion criteria that meant certain patients could not be included. And the sickest patients were excluded.
Of the 26 patients given hydroxychl 6 were excluded from the results. 3 because they ended up transferred to the ICU thus were kicked out of the study. A fourth because that patient died. And two dropped out of the study. The control patients were mostly recruited in other hospitals in other cities seemingly. So hardly an ideal control group.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...135v1.full.pdf

So when you read some doctor who apparently wrote a letter to a Fox channel personality claiming that 350 of 350 of his patients were cured.. Firstly it is unlikely any single doctor has 350 Covid positive patients, but not impossible. Secondly if in this study of non-ICU patients 4 of the initial 26 given treatment either died or went to the ICU it is exceedingly unlikely that 0 of 350 would fail. Again to be fair, the published French study was of hydroxychl only on most patients. Only 6 of the 20 reports patients were given zith based on "clinical judgment" which was to prevent "bacterial superinfection". So apparently in only 6 patients was concern about future bacterial superinfection a concern.
You can read the results in this NOT peer reviewed paper. It likely is now undergoing peer review but has not been published as a peer reviewed study. The results are tantalizing and do suggest benefit of Hydroxychloroquine by itself, and greater benefit with the addition of Zithromax. Only 6 people got the combination.
Of the patients in the study only about a third had a diagnosis of bronchitis or pneumonia. 2 treated patients were asymptomatic [it is unclear why they were even swabbed at entry. Perhaps all patients being admitted to that hospital were swabbed regardless of clinical history.] So of the 20 reported treated patients, 14 had nose, throat, or low grade fever only.
Both the WHO and multiple clinical centers are actively studying this combination as well as several different antiviral products. I am hopeful that some individual or combination will be successful. But claims that proof has been established is wrong.

As for the comment that NY Gov Cuomo "approved" of the treatment.. Governors do not have the authority, nor do Presidents, to give medical approval for medical treatments. That is the role of the FDA. Keep in mind that doctors have always given medications beyond what the FDA has formally approved as a usage guideline. The CDC collects data and makes evidence based recommendations. Those recommendations may include use of medications outside the listed indications on the package insert.

A personal opinion about some of the comments about how dangerous hydroxychloroquine is.. It is very safe. The long term use of the medication rarely causes retinal problems. Problems are seen mostly in patients who take it for more than five years and more likely with higher doses. The risk of toxic retinopathy in patients on long-term hydroxychloroquine therapy. - PubMed - NCBI

I cannot find a case of eye complications from a short term use of the drug. Not saying it doesn't exist but no review I read included any short term use patients. The FDA does not even recommend eye exams other than a baseline exam until the patient has been on hydroxychloroquine for 5 years unless they have other risk factors. From the package insert:
Quote:
For individuals with significant risk factors (daily dose of hydroxychloroquine sulfate greater than 5.0 mg/kg base of actual body weight, subnormal glomerular filtration, use of tamoxifen citrate or concurrent macular disease) monitoring should include annual examinations which include BCVA, VF and SD-OCT. For individuals without significant risk factors, annual exams can usually be deferred until five years of treatment.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Thank you for including a link. It is one more clinical report. This Bahrain news source quotes a medical official as saying they are using hydroxychloroquine after having detected Covid in the country 2 days earlier. It links to a report with a comment that Bahrain had been using medication since Feb 26th. No clinical information is included. No control group. Bahrain has a population of 1.7 million. The Johns Hopkins dashboard today shows:
Bahrain
Confirmed: 457
Deaths: 4
Recovered: 204
Active: 249

The article you linked does have a serious misstatement of fact
Quote:
In France, the anti-malarial was used in combination with azithromycin, an antibiotic typically prescribed for bacterial pneumonia, to treat some two dozen patients in Marseille.
The report actually shows only 6 patients were treated with the combination, not some two dozen.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 PM

500mg 1x daily Azithromycin -- I had to take this for Lyme Disease in CT.
Diarrhea... Awful. Thanks but I'll pass.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:40 PM

Spoke with my sister-in-law who is a doctor and she confirmed that using Hydroxycloroquine with Azithromyacin will help those infected with Covid19 recover.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Surely you got here by not being that gullible.
Did you know gullible is not in the dictionary?

OBB, love your sensible, thoughtful posts. You should have a blog if you don’t already.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

Plan for the worse, hope for the best.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
NY Times: some doctors are hoarding Malaria drugs...

“States Say Some Doctors Stockpile Trial Coronavirus Drugs, for Themselves“
March 24. 2020

Not Found - The New York Times

A similar hoarding of the then-FDA approved prescription antiviral drugs occurred during 2009 H1N1 Influenza outbreak which killed 12,000 Americans, primarily young healthy adults.

Action Taken to Prevent Hoarding of Flu Drugs - The New York Times
The only action to prevent hoarding that was taken according to the NY Times link you provided was that the manufacturers and distributers were being careful about double checking large orders of anti-flu meds.

Quote:
An even bigger concern could be hoarding on a larger scale, perhaps by distributors or hospitals that would buy more medicine than they need, in hopes of reselling it later for a much higher price if a shortage worsened
There were no actions by the government. Additionally with excellent pre-planning the Federal government had in place prior to the epidemic enough doses of anti-viral to treat 50 million patients, as is explained in the NY Times article. So there was never a shortage of anti-viral meds under the Obama situation except very isolated ones in communities where people who did not need the medication were obtaining it in advance of illness just in case. This was rapidly fixed by the available medication in the pipeline.

Last edited by blueash; 03-26-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: legibility
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklodt View Post
Spoke with my sister-in-law who is a doctor and she confirmed that using Hydroxycloroquine with Azithromyacin will help those infected with Covid19 recover.
Which only confirms that doctors don't have the information needed and therefore disagree on effectiveness. Appears a lot of people are reaching to grab onto anything that has the potential to make life better. As stated prior, this will deprive those that really have a need the drugs they need.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-26-2020, 01:52 PM
Default Fear makes you desperate

I know the chemical names are similar, but aquarium cleaner isn't for human consumption. Often people will grasp for any kind of hope when they have been lead to a feeling of hopelessness.

Coronavirus is serious, but this is not time to panic. Wash,/ Sanitise your hands, avoid close conract with others, be smart and you have a 99.99% chance of being fine. Go off the deep end and gargle with Draino and your odds drop quickly.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdave View Post
I know the chemical names are similar, but aquarium cleaner isn't for human consumption. Often people will grasp for any kind of hope when they have been lead to a feeling of hopelessness.

Coronavirus is serious, but this is not time to panic. Wash,/ Sanitise your hands, avoid close conract with others, be smart and you have a 99.99% chance of being fine. Go off the deep end and gargle with Draino and your odds drop quickly.
Thank you for the advice
I was just about to gargle Draino, along with the half pint of bleach that my local refuse collector recommended as a sure fire way to ward off the virus.
I will just stick to drinking Lysol in future.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by coachkandsportsguy View Post
a ny doctor shared his results using hydroxycloroquine chloroquine/azithromycin
200mg 2x daily hydroxy chloroquine
500mg 1x daily azithromycin
220mg 1x daily zinc sulfate

350 patients
• breathing restored 3-4 hours
• zero deaths
• zero intubations

so there are more firsthand reports coming out of nyc, the possibility of returning to normal sooner than later is still dependent upon social distancing to break the infection rate. However, stay vigilant until the pandemic is over

Sorry but this information is not correct. Spoke with my son-in-law who is a doctor. There is no cure, this combo has only been shown to improve symptons in mild cases, it does NOT prevent intubations or death. Right now an NYC medical resident who got the combo treatment is not doing well in the ICU. Even the original French study which was done poorly still had intubations & death in that combo medicaton group. Stop putting out unsubstaniated, false information.
Closed Thread

Tags
daily, normal, firsthand, reports, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.