Thumb joint arthritis

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Platinum member
Default Thumb joint arthritis

Has anyone had successful treatment for arthritis in the thumb joint? I am missing tennis and golf as well as problems cooking. I am currently wearing a brace but it's not helping.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

My wife took up knitting again when her thumbs got bad, as she found that immobility made them worse.
Initially you have to work through the pain, but the improvement was quite remarkable.
She also takes Green Lipped Mussel extract, and that has helped as well.
Worked for her.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage

Both the Admiral & myself, use Dr. David Feiner, he is in Clermont--I get shots as needed--he spends a lot of time with his patients- is younger and knows the latest techniques--the Admiral also uses diclofenac sodium gel 1% on her thumb--she plays pickle ball, masters tennis & goes to a power class @ MVP
Old 01-06-2020, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

I went to Dr Cynthia Harding in Lady Lake... she helped me with a shot and feels great now.. don't be alarmed she doesn't have your typical Dr's office.. she has her pet dogs there... I read a lot of reviews and everyone had nothing but good things to say
Old 01-06-2020, 02:35 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Thumb problem

Had the same problem and got shots but after a while they no longer worked. Had surgery in September and i am still taking pt. It is a long recovery period
Old 01-06-2020, 02:49 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Has anyone had successful treatment for arthritis in the thumb joint? I am missing tennis and golf as well as problems cooking. I am currently wearing a brace but it's not helping.
I was treated locally for arthritis, shots every 2-3 months. Got tired of this and went to Mayo Clinic to DR Peter Murry. He diagnosed Trigger Finger after giving me an X Ray, which none of the "Shot Doctors" of the Villages did. He froze my thumb area and gave me a series of shots to loosen up the constriction. That was over 5 years ago and no problem since. Good Luck JOJO I hope you find relief. Len
Old 01-06-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage

The Admiral & myself went to Dr. Hardings office, we never saw her , saw a PA & an associate--the office is always packed, no x-ray in the office--we decided to venture outside the bubble, it works for us
Old 01-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage

Also trigger finger is TOTALLY different from arthritic joint pain--how do I know--I have had trigger finger release surgery
Old 01-06-2020, 03:05 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Also trigger finger is TOTALLY different from arthritic joint pain--how do I know--I have had trigger finger release surgery
My Point exactly I was treated for arthritis for 2 years in the Villages, I had Trigger Finger which is completely different. Once diagnosed correctly and treated properly It was fixed. I wonder how many people are diagnosed wrong.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm open to anything.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:20 PM

An alternative treatment is a TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) device. I have thumb and finger arthritis and I self treat with a TENS device at 2 to 3 to 4 week intervals whenever it starts to cause me too much discomfort. A day later the arthritis pain is totally gone. I was initially concerned about the "electrocution" as stated by the naysayers, but I checked with my cardiologist because I have AFIB. He said it is a proven treatment and to go ahead. TENS devices are very reasonably priced on Amazon.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington2 View Post
An alternative treatment is a TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) device. I have thumb and finger arthritis and I self treat with a TENS device at 2 to 3 to 4 week intervals whenever it starts to cause me too much discomfort. A day later the arthritis pain is totally gone. I was initially concerned about the "electrocution" as stated by the naysayers, but I checked with my cardiologist because I have AFIB. He said it is a proven treatment and to go ahead. TENS devices are very reasonably priced on Amazon.
That is interesting. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 AM
Default I've had pretty good luck using Arnica Gel.

Quote:
You can get Arnica Gel at CVS, Target, etc. for about $10/tube. It's helped me.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I use Catherine
Sullivan specialty health care for my problem that turned out to be sudo gout.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Default Thumb Arthritis

I have heard that a lot of people have had success with CBD balm.
Closed Thread

Tags
thumb, arthritis, joint, brace, wearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.