Top Ten States for Quality of Life

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I lived in northern Maine for a while and have spent time in Vermont. You couldn't pay me enough to live in either of those two states. There are huge poverty stricken areas in both states. Maine is fine as long as you are in a little 20 mile wide strip along the coast but other then that there's nothing. Vermont is the same. There are little pockets of civilization, but there are huge areas where people live in shacks in the middle of nowhere. Of course, as far as I'm concerned, the quality of life in any state that has snow is terrible.
You mean the streets aren't paved with gold in Vermont?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I lived in the mid west for a very long time and a long time in the Minneapolis area. i have lived a number of years in the south and was born and reared in the northeast. By far Minneapolis area is the best place i ever lived. It is a very vibrant area, clean, progressive , an intelligent community excellent standard/quality of living/life. The winter carnival is a feat to be hold. major league in football, baseball, hockey, basketball along with college sports. It takes three days to shop all of the Mall of America. Why did i leave? Why does anyone retire to Florida?

Minneapolis has been rated the #1 city in the country despite the so called cold winters. Its really hot here and then the winters can be cold.

I have never heard one person who has been to the Twin cities say a bad thing about it , except its cold but weather is a relative thing as respect individuals.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Sage

The best state is a state-of-mind and it follows you wherever you go.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Most of these surveys have several points such as overall crime rate, cost of living, air quality etc. that they rate. Each category is given points and the ranking is given according to the total number of points.

I lived in northern Maine for a while and have spent time in Vermont. You couldn't pay me enough to live in either of those two states. There are huge poverty stricken areas in both states. Maine is fine as long as you are in a little 20 mile wide strip along the coast but other then that there's nothing. Vermont is the same. There are little pockets of civilization, but there are huge areas where people live in shacks in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, as far as I'm concerned, the quality of life in any state that has snow is terrible.
OMG, you are so right about Maine. Our son went to MMA, and while attending a parents' function, we took some day trips inland. So very depressing when you get back off of the coast.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Best five places to retire on $100 a day (36,500 yr.).
Pittsburg, Pa., San Antonio, Tx., Omaha, Ne., Grand Junction, Co., Gainesville, FL. AARP magazine September 2012.

I am only posting this to say that in the last couple of years there are many So called Best Places to live, work and/or retire. One thing in common---all different.

Bottom line---I take little stock in them. Your health, income, hobbies and family responsibility have much to do with where you work/retire. That said---these best places to live surveys are interesting and do provide some information for those who contemplate is it best to stay or move when you retire.

For many, The Villages is the best place to live.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
OMG, you are so right about Maine. Our son went to MMA, and while attending a parents' function, we took some day trips inland. So very depressing when you get back off of the coast.
The drive to Leesburg, and the city itself, make me sad. Not so much Ocala, for some reason. My perspective has gotten skewed because of the cleanliness, serenity and lush landscaping here.

I lived in Oahu a couple of years and it's nice if you're loaded. My wife was there for grad school and our 400 sf apartment on University Ave. might as well have been in Omaha, since it had about the same amount of scenic splendor. Everything is also very expensive; going to the grocery store was painful.

I lived in far northern MN and ND and was very happy in both places. Now there's your peace and quiet.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

If I liked snow and cold, MN would be my choice. I would live in Minneapolis and have a cabin somewhere in the Northwoods, with a huge fireplace.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 PM

We can find more things fun to do staying cool then trying to get warm we'll stay here.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
The drive to Leesburg, and the city itself, make me sad. Not so much Ocala, for some reason. My perspective has gotten skewed because of the cleanliness, serenity and lush landscaping here.

I lived in Oahu a couple of years and it's nice if you're loaded. My wife was there for grad school and our 400 sf apartment on University Ave. might as well have been in Omaha, since it had about the same amount of scenic splendor. Everything is also very expensive; going to the grocery store was painful.

I lived in far northern MN and ND and was very happy in both places. Now there's your peace and quiet.
If you get off 27/441 and go downtown, Leesburg appears a lot different. Also the park and marina along Rt 44 is very attractive.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.