Transition Lenses..Good or Bad

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I had transitions, but went to regular lenses a year ago and have been happier. I didn't like going from sun into a store, office or home and taking two or three minutes for them to clear up. As others have said, they don't darken much in the car. I bought a pair of polarized sun glasses that fit over my regular glasses, and have found that to be a preferable option for me. I wish I was a good candidate for lasik surgery - would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Sage

I love my transition lenses. It would drive me crazy to always have to switch between regular and sunglasses. After having had transitions for many years, my eyes changed ten years ago and I had to get new prescriptions. It tried clip-ons but didn't love them. The glasses felt heavy with the clip-ons on, and I found them a little annoying after having gotten spoiled by hands-free transitions.

About five years ago, I switched back to transitions and love them all over again. If they take longer to lighten, I don't notice it. To me, they get dark enough.

They are expensive-- until you consider that its a lot more expensive to buy prescription sunglasses in addition to indoor glasses. Especially by the time you have to have distance and close up transition and the light-weight lenses so they don't look like coke bottles.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Gold member

I have worn transition lenses since they first became available (long ago) and love them. I currently have tri-focal transition lenses. I wear them every day, inside and out, and have never had a problem with them. There are choices of shades available. I always go with the darkest. One tip I got early was to lay the glasses in full sun outside for a few hours when you first get them to fully activate the darkening process.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Another vote for Transistion Lenses. Would not consider anything else. As other members noted, they do not darken in the car because of the windshield. even so....they are worth having.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Do the glasses become completely clear while indoors, or is there always a slight tint?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceegeo View Post
Friends,

I would like to know from those of you who have or had Transition Lenses and what you think about them.
It's time for new glasses and I don't like changing from my regular glasses to my sunglasses all the time or else I forget the sunglasses. You perscription lense wearers know what I am talking about. Do they change back to normal quickly and are they really clear or have that smokey tint to them inside a room?

Thanks,
Cecelia
I love my transitions, Ever since I was forty and started wearing glasses I've had transitions. I really don't notice a difference when I go outside but when I come in it take a few minutes to lighten up.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Do the glasses become completely clear while indoors, or is there always a slight tint?
If you take them off and look at the lenses after you've been indoors for a while, the lenses will not be crystal clear - they seem to just have a bit of a different cast to them. Put them on versus a pair of standard glasses and you eyes won't notice a difference.

JMHO, as always!

Bill
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Sage

I'm finding this thread very interesting. I've had two pairs of transition lenses. Both pairs have hardly darkened at all when I go outside (unless I take them off and hold them up to the sun). So I always end up taking them off and wearing proper sunglasses.

Also, my first pair of transition glasses actually started peeling .. whatever coating they use started peeling off. The first pair I purchased at Sears and the second pair at Walmart.

The posters on this thread have been very enthusiastic which makes me wonder ... are transition lenses purchased from an Optician really that different from ones purchased at an Optical Department of a department store?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

I've worn glasses nearly ALL my life. I got the transitions back in the 80's and hated them. Same reasons as many posts here. I didn't like how they were inside...too dark and said I'd never get them again.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 PM

My Friends,
What a great reply. Thank you all and hope to see you in May with my Transition Lenses.
Cecelia
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm finding this thread very interesting. I've had two pairs of transition lenses. Both pairs have hardly darkened at all when I go outside (unless I take them off and hold them up to the sun). So I always end up taking them off and wearing proper sunglasses.

Also, my first pair of transition glasses actually started peeling .. whatever coating they use started peeling off. The first pair I purchased at Sears and the second pair at Walmart.

The posters on this thread have been very enthusiastic which makes me wonder ... are transition lenses purchased from an Optician really that different from ones purchased at an Optical Department of a department store?
Hi Bare,
I wonder, too. It does seem that people who didn't like them said they got them at one of the box stores.

However, I wonder about the peeling you experienced. I've never had the transitions peel, and I don't think it's a coating, at least the ones from an optician. However, I did have glasses once with an anti-glare coating, and that expensive coating peeled in less than two years.

Might it have been the anti-glare coating, rather than the transition lens, that peeled on your glasses?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Both of my pair that lost the transition darkening after about two years came from an optician's office. Yesterday I broke another pair of cheap sunglasses. Transitions are so worth it to me I went ahead and made an appt for another pair.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran member
Default Best Sunglasses lenses

As a retired optician I sold many pairs of transition lenses over the years. Since I left the business 13 years ago I have to assume that the quality of the lenses has improved dramatically. Personally, I have never worn them since I never liked that fact that they didn't get completely clear inside. Photos taken of people wearing transitions inside were never flattering. This thread isn't really talking about which type of lens is the best for sunglasses, but do yourself a huge favor and buy a pair of polarized lenses the next time you want a really nice pair of sunglasses. I wear progressive lenses so this can be a bit expensive if you buy in an optical shop vs. Wal-mart, etc. My husband recently bought a pair of progressive, polarized sunglasses from Costco and they were one-half the cost at our local optometrist's office. Polarized lenses cut out a huge percentage of glare so you can imagine how comfortable they are to wear. They are fabulous if you are a boater and they are the best driving lenses you can own. Yes, we wear them playing golf, too! I would rather deal with two pairs of glasses in order to enjoy the huge benefits of polarized lenses. A good, caring optician can show you the benefits of polarized lenses. I also wear an anti-reflective coating on my clear lenses and they CAN scratch easily if one isn't careful cleaning them, etc. My husband found the coating to be too much work but, again, I wouldn't be without it. My aging eyes appreciate anything I can do to cut the glare in the intense Florida sun!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

One trick I have learned for sunglasses, is to have the lab place the non-glare finish on the INSIDE of the lens (the side of the lens closest to your face) rather than on the outside. It really cuts down on reflections, and the non-glare coating is better protected, too.

Polarized sunglasses with non-glare finish on the inside -- your eyes will thank you.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
One trick I have learned for sunglasses, is to have the lab place the non-glare finish on the INSIDE of the lens (the side of the lens closest to your face) rather than on the outside. It really cuts down on reflections, and the non-glare coating is better protected, too.

Polarized sunglasses with non-glare finish on the inside -- your eyes will thank you.
This is exactly how my husband's sunglass lenses were made at Costco.....anti-reflective coating on the inside of the polarized lenses. As I wrote previously, he isn't the most careful person in the world when it comes to cleaning his glasses so I don't know how long the coating will last! It CAN be removed should it scratch or deteriorate. I agree that these are the best, most comfortable sunglass lenses anyone can wear.....the anti-reflective coating isn't a must if cost is an issue, but I would NOT be happy now without the polarization. Normally, we would not purchase such an important item at a discount box store but Costco's optical shop earned top honors in a recent Consumer Reports article. They did not disappoint us. By the way, at Costco, the anti-reflective coating is a standard on their polarized lenses..no extra charge.

Last edited by VillagesFlorida; 03-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.