Traveling abroad once you are on Medicare

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2020, 01:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
I travel the world and buy the Allianz Global travel insurance that's good for a year. It is cheap compared to the medical bills you could be stuck with should you have a medical problem outside the US. Buy medical insurance.

What is the cost? I haven’t heard of this before.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
I travel the world and buy the Allianz Global travel insurance that's good for a year. It is cheap compared to the medical bills you could be stuck with should you have a medical problem outside the US. Buy medical insurance.
We did that once a few years ago. We had three separate overseas trips in one year. As I recall, we had to list the dates and possibly the flights--or something that proved we were actually making the trips. And we weren't covered when we were in the US. The price was very good, but I can't remember the name of the company.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
We have Tricare for Life, which pays at its normal 80% rate.

Glad to hear that. I was wondering about the percentage they would pay.

Do you happen to know if the same holds true (the 80%) if a medicare advantage plan does not pay because the treatment is out-of-area?

Last edited by epoch; 02-03-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Look closely at your Medicare Advantage policy to see if it covers medical expenses while out of the U.S. Original Medicare does not pay for medical care out of the country. Some supplemental policies to Original Medicare (AARP UHC, for instance), will reimburse up to 80% for medical care. That is the insurance company doing the reimbursing, not Medicare.

The best thing to do in this case is to buy a travel insurance policy in which medical coverage is primary, not secondary. That way, the insurance company will go after your Medigap company so you won't have to. Comprehensive travel policies also include medical evacuation. insuremytrip.com is a good one to deal with.
The best site I have found that explains trip insurance and to purchase trip insurance:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 02-03-2020, 12:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,020 Times in 453 Posts

I agree with Carla B (post #7), insuremytrip.com is the web site that I use. It's easy to use, especially for comparing policy benefits. And yes, watch for those two important distinctions, "primary" and "secondary."
Old 02-03-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoch View Post
Glad to hear that. I was wondering about the percentage they would pay.

Do you happen to know if the same holds true (the 80%) if a medicare advantage plan does not pay because the treatment is out-of-area?
Don't know - we have never been in this situation because we have original Medicare. I do know that if Medicare does not pay a charge, Tricare will not pay it either. One of the reasons that we will not take an Advantage plan.
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, abroad, traveling, age, plans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.