Under 65~ need health insurance help!

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Default Under 65~ need health insurance help!

I will soon need health insurance, as hubby will be turning 65. I am younger....help! Thanks.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Try talking to SHINE, here is the link: SHINE - Home, they have meetings at 3 or 4 locations in the villages, these are typically advertised in the daily Sun. On a side note, your hubby should also talk to them to get an UNBIASED insurance info, Advantage plans versus traditional Medicare and supplemental, and hoe the villages health system works (3 ADVANTAGE plans only!).

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Did you look at Obama Care? If you did what was your opinion?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

The Affordable Care Act as of a couple of years ago was the only choice for someone under sixty five looking for individual health insurance. But, this certainly is a question for those who know for sure, SHINE, or a licensed insurance agent.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

We have been/are in the same situation. It $ucks. Obamacare is your only option that I am aware of. Be prepared to spend big $$$$$. We are footing the bill for the people that get free/subsidized insurance. There is no FREE, just re-distribution. Before Obamacare I was paying $325 for a very similar plan, now I am paying $1,075 per month. If you want decent insurance and make more than 400% of the federal poverty level, be prepared to spend in excess of $1,000 per month in premiums for one person. You can get a cheaper high deductible plan, but if you need any health care you will be paying 100% for everything out of pocket until the deductible is reached. If you uncover a better option, please share it with me.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage

I am not sure what county you are in but if it is Sumter then Florida Blue is pretty much your only choice. They have an office off of 466 - it is worth going in and talking to them. You can enroll through the market place or not. They are the same plans and costs. If you enroll through the market place then you will have the potential of a subsidy depending on your AGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgm3279 View Post
I will soon need health insurance, as hubby will be turning 65. I am younger....help! Thanks.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

I used the ACA up until this year. The changes in the tax laws made it more difficult to stay under the income limit in order to qualify for a subsidy. Take a look at United Health Care. They have several plans at differing levels of coverage at various premiums. Health care costs can be kept low if you are healthy and you are willing to accept more risk. In the end, I chose to purchase a hospitalization only plan. I will pay cash for my annual check up and lab test. That will put the premium costs into my pocket to cover an additional visit or two the the doctor. Sometimes thinking outside of the box is needed.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM
Default We were in the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgm3279 View Post
We went through the same thing about 5 years ago. My information may not be current
We used Renata Cockburn with Florida Blue. I found her to be, helpful, clear and patient 352 775-3336
Thoughts
1. If you are currently employed ask about COBRA. You have, or we had 18 months at the far lower rate than we could get with private insurance. You may want to also check with groups, unions etc that you belong to.
2. I expect you will find the COST shocking.
3. Assuming you are healthy you might want to consider a catastrophic policy that will be far less expensive.
4. IMPORTANT-I had considered self insuring-if a bill is necessary you pay it out of ???? savings or???????
THE BIG GOTCHA-fortunately my wife convinced me not to self insure. Our cost for insurance was about 24,000 for two of us
OUCH. In my life, I've been in the hospital about 3x so I was thinking I would accept the gamble. Well I would have lost.
I spent 4 days in the Villages Hospital the bill was 50,000. Or would have been 50,000 if I had self insured it. Aetna paid the bill in FULL for 20,000. That was just the hospital bill. Follow up doctor visits etc I do not even recall the number.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
The Affordable Care Act as of a couple of years ago was the only choice for someone under sixty five looking for individual health insurance. But, this certainly is a question for those who know for sure, SHINE, or a licensed insurance agent.

On that subject, I was talking to someone last year who was in that situation, wasn't eligible for a group plan and was going on and on...about how screwed up and expensive Obamacare was.

I told him I empathized with him about how hard it must be, to try and get health insurance in his situation...as an individual under 65 and not being part of a group.

His exact response was, "actually it's not all that bad now, because I was able to get health insurance coverage that I can live with, at a fairly decent cost...under the ACA."

I was, of course...left totally speechless.

While I'm fortunate that I'm not in that situation, I have heard from numerous folks...that SHINE is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:01 PM

Just Curious....What are some of the tax law changes you’re referring too? We’re not Florida residents, yet. We were told by Florida Blue how to keep income below the threshold. The agent told us she has a lot of clients that have a lot of assets and other homes all over the world and they qualify on the exchange by deferring income and keeping their monthly under $4,000. Loophole?!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I am not sure what county you are in but if it is Sumter then Florida Blue is pretty much your only choice. They have an office off of 466 - it is worth going in and talking to them. You can enroll through the market place or not. They are the same plans and costs. If you enroll through the market place then you will have the potential of a subsidy depending on your AGI.
Excellent advice. Quick and easy and thorough. They have everything loaded both private and ACA. If you give ACA there are no kinks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

On that subject, I was talking to someone last year who was in that situation, wasn't eligible for a group plan and was going on and on...about how screwed up and expensive Obamacare was.

I told him I empathized with him about how hard it must be, to try and get health insurance in his situation...as an individual under 65 and not being part of a group.

His exact response was, "actually it's not all that bad now, because I was able to get health insurance coverage that I can live with, at a fairly decent cost...under the ACA."

I was, of course...left totally speechless.

While I'm fortunate that I'm not in that situation, I have heard from numerous folks...that SHINE is very knowledgeable and helpful. [emoji106]

We must know the same person. Person said there is no way I'm getting insurance with that name on it in a very disdainful manner. Next thing you know she's enrolled through the ACA and happy. Never knew it was the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 AM
Veteran member

I used the Marketplace for about 18 months after I was laid off at 63. I received an age subsidy and with income of about $1K/month from a part time consulting job, my premium was $32/month through BCBS. I still maintain it was the best coverage I've ever had. My costs went up considerably with Medicare, particularly for prescriptions (insulin co-pay was around $40 for 90 days under the Marketplace and is now $900+).

COBRA would have been around $600/month and an individual plan was out of the question with my preexisting conditions.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Default FYI...Private Cigna PPO- 32162

The debacle of health insurance especially for those under 65 is a major issue especially for people above 55 who have traditionally been covered by an employer group plan. Here in the Villages most all the resources are focused and trained on Medicare. SHINE is an example of that resource albeit a very good one but not helpful for under 65.

Most people who live in Marion and Sumter County looking for individual coverage under 65 may only see / find Florida Blue which is ok if you qualify for a significant subsidy for one of their HMO plans or have the $$$$ to pay for an off market PPO plan that is about 2 X an HMO premium for those above 55. There are hundreds of short term plans out there, limited benefit, indemnity plans that are lower in premium but there are multiple reasons why they are lower and it comes down to benefit gaps " exposure ".

There is a Private Cigna PPO plan that works well not only here in the Villages but is a nationwide network that follows you where ever you live part time or full time. Premiums are about 1/2 of the Florida Blue plans. Everyone's situation is different regarding health care access, needs and budget.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, health, turning, younger, 65~

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.