update on blood sugar test

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default update on blood sugar test

Well it has been 4 weeks of diet change and happy to report, ole boy's blood sugar has been normal for last 3 weeks....Hate to get on soapbox, but after visiting Dr. and pharmacy, they report that 90% of Type-2 Diabetics, would rather go on medication or INSULIN, rather than change their diet....No medication for last 5 days and remarkable and dramatic change....We are both soooo pleased!....Cannot say it enough, is a beer (hardest for patients to give up) really worth the loss of sight or limb or LIFE!!!??????....
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 AM

jebartle;

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Believe me I know. In the last 4 1/2 months I've lost 48 lbs. (no that's not a typo) and brought my AIC down to 5.2

I cannot tell you how much better I feel without carrying around 3 bowling balls worth of excess weight.

Keep up the excellent work.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Well it has been 4 weeks of diet change and happy to report, ole boy's blood sugar has been normal for last 3 weeks....Hate to get on soapbox, but after visiting Dr. and pharmacy, they report that 90% of Type-2 Diabetics, would rather go on medication or INSULIN, rather than change their diet....No medication for last 5 days and remarkable and dramatic change....We are both soooo pleased!....Cannot say it enough, is a beer (hardest for patients to give up) really worth the loss of sight or limb or LIFE!!!??????....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
jebartle;

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Believe me I know. In the last 4 1/2 months I've lost 48 lbs. (no that's not a typo) and brought my AIC down to 5.2

I cannot tell you how much better I feel without carrying around 3 bowling balls worth of excess weight.

Keep up the excellent work.
WOW congratulations to the both of you. I am envious of you guys. As a diabetic myself I know how important diet and exercise is. I work out daily and I burn up to 1000 calories on this one elliptical machine. I have to be careful because my sugar drops way too low. Last week two times it was at 50 so I carry some sugar tablets. Life is grand.
Keep it up.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Fantastic news from both of you.

jebartle, would you mind sharing what your dietary changes were to be so successful in such a short time? Maybe that would inspire others to do likewise . . .??
Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for asking, K9-Lovers. It would be great to know how they improved their health. And good for jebartel and dfn8tly! You both have accomplished something that a lot of people would like to do-eat heathy and lose weight.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Default new eating habits and exercise

In three months I have lost 28 pounds. Oatmeal for breakfast every day for the fiber. It keeps me satisfied longer than anything else. Apples, oranges, veggies, salad with cottage cheese instead of salad dressing--I also add some yellow banana peppers and sometimes a few calamata olives. Yogurt (low fat) for a snack, fish and chicken, and---one day a week, something that I may be craving, such as ice cream or pizza. Exercise with a class three times a week and yard work or walking the other days. Cardio Interval type of exercize with the group. I plan to eat every three hours or so, but small quantities--a piece of fruit, a few nuts, a handful of little carrots. Second favorite breakfast or any meal or snack is a slice of whole grain toast with a teaspoon of peanut butter and one of apricot preserves. Sadly, my cholesteral and triglyceride numbers have not improved, but I'm not giving up yet
Any input on food choices or advice is welcome.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo View Post
In three months I have lost 28 pounds. Oatmeal for breakfast every day for the fiber. It keeps me satisfied longer than anything else. Apples, oranges, veggies, salad with cottage cheese instead of salad dressing--I also add some yellow banana peppers and sometimes a few calamata olives. Yogurt (low fat) for a snack, fish and chicken, and---one day a week, something that I may be craving, such as ice cream or pizza. Exercise with a class three times a week and yard work or walking the other days. Cardio Interval type of exercize with the group. I plan to eat every three hours or so, but small quantities--a piece of fruit, a few nuts, a handful of little carrots. Second favorite breakfast or any meal or snack is a slice of whole grain toast with a teaspoon of peanut butter and one of apricot preserves. Sadly, my cholesteral and triglyceride numbers have not improved, but I'm not giving up yet
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Sage
Default Hi k-9

I have to give you sooooo much credit, after all, you at one time were on insulin and after dr. visit, were happy to report OFF insulin after your diet.....As I've said to you b4, you are my hero, because you inspired the ole' boy....In answer to your question here is a sample:

Breakfast - Old Fashion Oatmeal, followed by rye toast
snack - fruit, (apple, plum, pear, NO bananas)
Lunch - 1st week, nothing white (sugar, fat),instead fat and sugar free Jello Pudding with fruit and rye toast
Snack - Tortilla chips
Dinner - Veggie Fajita

Dramatic change came in first week, his fasting blood sugar was 180 b4, and after diet, down to 115 (normal 85-120) and he has been in normal range ever since....He has been off metformin for a week now and blood sugar is normal and has recently included fish in diet....All meals small but 6 times a day...

I also want to give credit to Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes book to give us guidance...

My husband is a retired dr. and has good medical knowledge and this book suggests that the reason for insulin resistance is due to an accumulation of intracellular stored FAT....You must fast in order to burn up this FAT in the cells....The results are normal insulin activity at the cellular lever which allows the acceptance of glucose from the blood...You must still maintain the proper diet or you will begin to store intracellular FAT once again causing an onset of Type 2 diabetes.

More than anything, not being diabetic, was AMAZED at how much in our pantry is BAD BAD BAD....Going to the grocery store in the beginning was a chore, looked at nutrition label on EVERYTHING, blown away by how much sugar and FAT is in our diet (cereal was a real shocker)...I've been dieting with the ole boy and both of us FEEL SOOOOO GOOD now....Truly amazing!
It really makes me sad when I'm reminded by ole boy's dr and pharmacist that tell us that SOOOOO many diabetics could turn their diabetes AROUND if they would give up their BOOZE and FAT in their diet...Really, you have to realize how BAD this disease IS!....What ever goes in the "pie-hole" is NOT worth
loss of sight, limb or life.....Life is too good here in our corner of heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Fantastic news from both of you.

jebartle, would you mind sharing what your dietary changes were to be so successful in such a short time? Maybe that would inspire others to do likewise . . .??

Last edited by jebartle; 04-09-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I am so thrilled for Mr. JE and def and, of course, K-9! You are all inspiring to many of us.

My biggest downfall isn't alcohol, it's Coke Classic and glutens. I hate to admit it but I think if I had to choose between insulin and Coke, the dang Coke would win. So, that you guys could give up all the yummy stuff (NO bananas???? sob), it gives me hope that one day I'll find the strength to change my drinking habits (eating habits are pretty good) and before it is a health issue.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Sage
Default Hi Flamingo

your diet and exercise sounds great, only suggestion is look for the culpret which is FAT, check all labels and for a week try to keep under 2 grams of fat per item, that means NO peanut butter, the ole boy would have a tube of ritz and peanut butter every nite, NOT any more!!!!!....I promise you, give up the FAT until you see a change and then slowly add protein, with protein shake or chicken and fish and maintain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo View Post
Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Thanks for the shout out, jebartle, although I was diagnosed diabetic, I never took insulin. In any case, the lifestyle changes both Mr.K9 and I took have really made a difference for us, too. We FEEL healthy.

One suggestion, instead of apple, pear and plum, try eating berries, like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. They are better for diabetics and do not produce so much sugar during digestion.

I'm SOOO happy for you !!!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Unhappy fat

jebartle, thank you. I think you are correct. No more than 2 fat grams,, heh?

Last edited by flamingo; 04-13-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I've got my A1C down from 7.9 to 5.4 in the last year. Dropped near 20 pounds too, so I'm pleased. However, I'm partial to peanut butter for a snack craving (or nuts alone, not the spread). It's my singular treat.
No sugars, no white flour/stuff, no corn.

I think I should have lost more, but my thryoid is problematic too.

Good luck, all.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I've got my A1C down from 7.9 to 5.4 in the last year. Dropped near 20 pounds too, so I'm pleased. However, I'm partial to peanut butter for a snack craving (or nuts alone, not the spread). It's my singular treat.
No sugars, no white flour/stuff, no corn.

I think I should have lost more, but my thryoid is problematic too.

Good luck, all.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.