Using olive oil because you think it's healthy, it's time to think again!

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Sage

Oil has one of the highest fat (like 100% fat) content of anything you can ingest, there's is NO way in the world it can do anything but have you gain weight.

Can't agree with that at all, not my opinion, fact.

There are 119 calories in 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil.
Calorie breakdown: 100% fat, 0% carbs, 0% protein.

But surly extra virgin olive oil is better....

There are 119 calories in 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Calorie breakdown: 100% fat, 0% carbs, 0% protein.

Eat what you wish, your mileage may vary!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Sage

Since I know both of you I ask that u please take 8 minutes to watch this video then tell me what you think

Check out the video below by Jeff Novick. about 8 min.

Olive Oil is NOT Health Food but Sick Food - YouTube

Ounce for ounce, olive oil is one of the most fattening, calorically dense foods on the planet. The bottom line is that oil will add fat to our already plump waistlines, heightening the risk of disease, including diabetes and heart attacks, says Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

Dr. Esselstyn agrees, stating that between 14 and 17% of olive oil is saturated, artery-clogging fat, every bit as aggressive in promoting heart disease as the saturated fat in roast beef.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Since I know both of you I ask that u please take 8 minutes to watch this video then tell me what you think

Ounce for ounce, olive oil is one of the most fattening, calorically dense foods on the planet. The bottom line is that oil will add fat to our already plump waistlines, heightening the risk of disease, including diabetes and heart attacks, says Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

Dr. Esselstyn agrees, stating that between 14 and 17% of olive oil is saturated, artery-clogging fat, every bit as aggressive in promoting heart disease as the saturated fat in roast beef.
I say the Utube is incorrect and I have a many credentials as the Salesman presenting that video.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I have a many credentials as the Salesman presenting that video.

Can U explain that comment?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I respect your opinion Jimbo, but there as just as many (and even more) reports and proponents for the benefits of olive oil as there are for anti olive oil opinions. I trust the mainstream doctors and knowledge and the majority says we need some fat in the diet, and olive oil not only gives you the best needed fat for your needs, but actually PREVENTS heart attacks and strokes and helps your metabolism. I agree that there is a lot of debate, but everyone deserves their own opinion and as long as it is used in moderation, I believe its benefits outweight any negatives. I respect your disagreement, though
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Sage

Olive oil's bad. Olive oil's good. Sugar's bad. Sugar's good. Wine's bad. Wine's good. Coffee's bad. Coffee's good. Milk's bad. Milk's good. On-and-on, ad nauseum. If you like something but it's bad for you, just wait a while and it will likely be considered good for you. But enjoy it while you can, because it will almost certainly soon be bad for you again.

I'll just stick to my all-things-in-moderation health regimen.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Interesting new test for heart disease risk

Thought that this might be of interest to those interested in the cholesterol and heart disease connection.

NMR Lipoprofile May Help Determine Your Heart Disease Risk

Looks like some of the old ideas that have guided the medical community choices might now be in question.

As always, it is just some interesting information to consider when making decisions for yourself. As a side note I ordered some Red Palm Oil that Dr. Oz recommended. It is interesting to cook with and apparently has even more benefits than coconut oil which is the only oil I use for cooking. First pressed cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is best used for salads as it is best used unheated.

I too eat an egg a day and have never been on any Rx in my 70 years. I do use homeopathics and practice Tai Chi and other "alternative" practices and I've tried many different "diets" for health. Currently I am on the 8 hour eating plan, while eliminating grains (except rice on occasion) and sugars, take 1/2 tsp of "Real Salt" sea salt daily and about 8drops of 5% Lugol's solution iodine/iodide to support a low thyroid which is doing really quite well now. I haven't been this weight since before I had kids and any cravings have gone. I believe that this is due to the intermittent fasting that the 8 hour plan creates, as it is helps to reset insulin and leptin receptors.

I have a real concern about the vegetarian approach as the main source of protein is often soy and soybased products. Since most of the soy is GMO I could not choose to go there. Also I was following a plant based diet a number of years ago, and soy milk etc was very "in" and it was after that, that I really noticed a drop in the thyroid function and a few years later, I learned about the soy/thyroid connection and went back to a moderate meat diet. My energy level returned and I never went back to just plants. Perhaps it is my Asian chemistry, but I do better on some animal products in my diet.

Each person is chemically different so it really is important to listen to your body. It is always giving you feedback and talking to you. If you ignore it, it will find another way to get your attention. It's always better to listen to it before it sends you to bed sick to get you to rest and recoup!

LW888
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Can U explain that comment?
Yes, I can: I have no credentials at all just like the Pitch man in that silly video. Give me something from the Institute of Health and not a sales pitch from a U Tube Video.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Yes, I can: I have no credentials at all just like the Pitch man in that silly video. Give me something from the Institute of Health and not a sales pitch from a U Tube Video.
Really, yep he's a jerk, let's look at who he is;

Welcome to the National Health Association VP

Jeffrey S. Novick, MS, RD, LD, LN

Jeff’s insightful and humorous approach to nutrition and health has helped thousands worldwide make the transition to healthy living. He holds both undergraduate and graduate degrees from Indiana State University in nutrition with minors in Exercise Science.

Jeff Novick, is truly a unique dietitian and nutritionist. With over 25 years of experience in nutrition, health, fitness and natural living, he offers expert health advice distilled into powerful, easy-to-understand language on a variety of current topics.

Jeff's insightful and humorous approach to nutrition and health has helped thousands worldwide make the transition to healthy living. He holds both undergraduate and graduate degrees from Indiana State University in nutrition with minors in Exercise Science.

Jeff serves as Vice President of Health Promotion for Executive Health Exams International and lectures at the McDougall Program in Santa Rosa, California and at the Engine 2 Immersion program in Austin, TX. He is also the Director of Nutrition for the Meals for Health community project which is helping empower low-income families to achieve optimal health.

For almost a decade, Jeff served as the Director of Nutrition at the Pritikin Center in Aventura, Florida, and as Vice President of the Board of the Directors for the National Health Association (NHA). He also served as the Director of Health Education for the NHA and as an Adjunct Professor in the School of Health Sciences for Kaplan University.

Jeff has also taught nutrition classes at Indiana State University, Indiana University Medical School, the University of Miami Medical School and for the Florida Academy of Family Physicians and lectures at medical conference around the country on a regular basis. While in Indiana, he created and taught the Nutrition Education Initiative, a preventive medicine curriculum for medical doctors, residents, and medical students. In recognition of this groundbreaking project, Indiana's governor awarded him the Indiana State Public Health Excellence in Health Science Award, and Indiana State University awarded him the Graduate-of-the-Last-Decade Award.

He has been interviewed by Newsday, Parade Magazine, Men's Health, Shape Magazine, Women's World and has appeared on Fox News, Discovery Health, the Today Show and other media nationwide. He recently appeared in the documentary Processed People and the movie Fatboy, which wont the best documentary award at the Fort Lauderdale and Queens Film Festivals.

You should ignore everything he says, he doesn't have a clue about the subject.

:
Old 04-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Really, yep he's a jerk, let's look at who he is;

Welcome to the National Health Association VP

Jeffrey S. Novick, MS, RD, LD, LN

Jeff’s insightful and humorous approach to nutrition and health has helped thousands worldwide make the transition to healthy living. He holds both undergraduate and graduate degrees from Indiana State University in nutrition with minors in Exercise Science.

Jeff Novick, is truly a unique dietitian and nutritionist. With over 25 years of experience in nutrition, health, fitness and natural living, he offers expert health advice distilled into powerful, easy-to-understand language on a variety of current topics.

Jeff's insightful and humorous approach to nutrition and health has helped thousands worldwide make the transition to healthy living. He holds both undergraduate and graduate degrees from Indiana State University in nutrition with minors in Exercise Science.

Jeff serves as Vice President of Health Promotion for Executive Health Exams International and lectures at the McDougall Program in Santa Rosa, California and at the Engine 2 Immersion program in Austin, TX. He is also the Director of Nutrition for the Meals for Health community project which is helping empower low-income families to achieve optimal health.

For almost a decade, Jeff served as the Director of Nutrition at the Pritikin Center in Aventura, Florida, and as Vice President of the Board of the Directors for the National Health Association (NHA). He also served as the Director of Health Education for the NHA and as an Adjunct Professor in the School of Health Sciences for Kaplan University.

Jeff has also taught nutrition classes at Indiana State University, Indiana University Medical School, the University of Miami Medical School and for the Florida Academy of Family Physicians and lectures at medical conference around the country on a regular basis. While in Indiana, he created and taught the Nutrition Education Initiative, a preventive medicine curriculum for medical doctors, residents, and medical students. In recognition of this groundbreaking project, Indiana's governor awarded him the Indiana State Public Health Excellence in Health Science Award, and Indiana State University awarded him the Graduate-of-the-Last-Decade Award.

He has been interviewed by Newsday, Parade Magazine, Men's Health, Shape Magazine, Women's World and has appeared on Fox News, Discovery Health, the Today Show and other media nationwide. He recently appeared in the documentary Processed People and the movie Fatboy, which wont the best documentary award at the Fort Lauderdale and Queens Film Festivals.

You should ignore everything he says, he doesn't have a clue about the subject.

:
Sorry, but after reading all this, I am now convinced the guy is a old fashion pitch man ie. salesman. For more reference on this screwy outfit, see: Natural hygiene’s primary organization has been the National Health Association (NHA), which is headquartered in Tampa Florida. Shelton founded NHA as the American Natural Hygiene Society (ANHS), which assumed its present name in 1998

Last edited by Golfingnut; 04-30-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add source
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Sage
Default Other uses for olive oil that we never thought of

Food for thought on other uses for olive oil, dating back to ancient times..........such as “The Annointing of the Sick”....

Even though I still have my mom’s big crucifix which has all the components for the “Last Rites” inside a compartment within....
A candle, the “sacred oil”, etc. etc....I never knew it was olive oil.....my husband who went to Catholic School did not know either.

I guess we just never gave it much thought..........until today.......

As I was reading another of Mary Higgins Clark’s latest “light” fiction, “Daddy’s Gone a Hunting”.....

I came across a reference to OLIVE OIL..........that I hadn’t thought of before...........

To quote from the book:

“Father Martin took out his folded stole from the case, kissed it, and placed it around his neck."

"Then he opened a small jar of sacred oil. “This is pure olive oil blessed by the bishop,” he told Hannah."

“Olive oil was specially chosen by the Church because of the healing and strengthening effects that are its characteristics in everyday life."

"Hannah watched as he dipped his finger in the olive oil and then made the sign of the Cross on Kate’s forehead and hands."

"Healing and strengthening, she thought as she listened to the words of the prayers Father Martin was offering over Kate."

"A sense of peace came over her .................."
************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

I researched the olive oil further..........

ANNOINTING OF THE SICK

The Council of Florence ( 1439 )

The fifth sacrament is extreme unction. Its matter is olive oil blessed by a priest.

This sacrament should not be given to the sick unless death is expected.

The person is to be annointed on the following places:
on the eyes for sight, on the ears for hearing,
on the nostrils for smell, on the mouth for taste or speech, on the hands for touch, on the feet for walking, on the loins, etc........

The minister of the sacrament is a priest. Is effect is to cure the mind, and, in so far as it helps the soul, also the body.

FIFTEENTH CENTURY

Use olive oil blessed by a priest

Only given to the sick if death is expected

Person is annointed on eyes, ears, nostrils, mouth, hands, feet and loins

The minister of the sacrament is a priest

Effect is to cure the mind, body and soul

************************************************** ************************************************** **********

I then went on to read of the natural healing powers of olive oil for health reasons.............

Specifically, extra virgin olive oil.........for soothing sun burned skin, for ear aches, sore throats and coughs, common skin disorders, constipation.

Plus we all know the benefits of olive oil on our rich dark green romaine salads........plus, it's the only oil I cook with.

Modern science is just starting to understand the natural healing powers of olive oil. Ancient civilizations did not understand the
exact science behind the medicinal properties of olive oil but they understood the philosophy,

“ALL FOOD IS MEDICINE AND ALL MEDICINE IS FOOD”.

Thus, ancient civilizations, such as the Greeks and the Egyptians, prized olive oil not just based on its nutritional value but its medicinal value as well.

It’s a well know fact that those who lived around the Mediterranean and consumed olive oil on a daily basis had a propensity for longevity and less heart disease.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.