VA eligibility and National Guard service.

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Default VA eligibility and National Guard service.

If you retired from the National Guard(20 years) be aware that when you contact VA medical or VA Cemetery you may get an immediate response that you are “not eligible “. Research the active duty time you may have on your records making you eligible.
I had encountered this response several times on initial conversation with the VA.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Platinum member
Question What active duty time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
If you retired from the National Guard(20 years) be aware that when you contact VA medical or VA Cemetery you may get an immediate response that you are “not eligible “. Research the active duty time you may have on your records making you eligible.
I had encountered this response several times on initial conversation with the VA.
The material that I have read indicated that a National Guardsman who had only their 180 days of initial service and then monthly training and summer camp, could not add up the aggregate time of the monthly training and summer camp to count as creditable time.

I don't know what the situation would be if a Guardsman's unit were to be called up for actual deployment overseas. Is it service of this kind that you think would be creditable?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

My understanding as well. I was a reservist for nearly 10 years and don't qualify. I do get the Lowes discount after I brought in my dd214.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 AM

For sure if you are deployed on active duty status. It’s best to research your eligibility on the VA.gov to be sure. Currently if you were in Vietnam even briefly you are eligible for VA benefits. Also time at Camp LeJeune is another qualifier during certain time periods.
If you need help from the VA it may be best to ask other Guard or Reserve people what they did.
Be aware that unless you can prove a service connected disability you may not be eligible. Without a service connected disability your household income may be too high and be a disqualified.
The Air Guard Unit I was in was activated during Desert Storm. This AD would be qualifying.
If you have 20 yrs Guard Or Reserve and are receiving retirement pay, you can be buried in a VA Cemetery.
Closed Thread

Tags
eligible, national, response, research, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.