Calling 911 from smart phone

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Default Calling 911 from smart phone

When calling 911 from smartphone, can the center detect your exact location in The Villages
Old 02-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes and no ...there are no guarantees. It all depends from where you are making the call and moreso the 911 center that receives the cell call. For ex, if you are near a county line say a rec center, and you call 911, it could go to Lake or Marion County...NOT Sumter Cty where =the emergency exists...the first thing an operator will ask you is what county you are calling from. If Lake received the call and you say Sumter, Lake 911 will transfer the call to Sumter. During that transfer some but not necessarily all information is passed to Sumter cty 911. YOU NEED TO TELL THEM THE EXACT ADDRESS THE EMERGENCY IF LOCATED AT....otherwise the EMTs will try and coordinate the cell calls from Tower pings to get a location and it does not always work. It is not sufficient to simply say a Rec centers or a landmark name.....EMT drivers are not necessarily from this area.

Look it works most of the time BUT what I am saying is it is not a perfect system calling 911 via a cell phone. EVen when an emergency happens on a golf course, they always tell you to call 911 and follow it up to call the the Starter shack...for then the starter shack calls 911 on a landline.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:09 AM

Used my cell for 911 this week from our Hadley address, which I think is inches from the Lake County line. "Lake County 911, what's the nature of your emergency?" My response was, "We're in Sumter County. I need an ambulance." In seconds I had the Sumter dispatcher asking our address and telling me EMS was on the way. Then she asked questions about the patient's issue. We'd barely gotten off the phone when the EMT's arrived. I'm relieved to know that the system works well for home addresses.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Platinum member

It would be nice but, no, unlike Hawaii Five 0 or NCIS, your exact location does not show up as a blinking light on a large table-top computer screen when you call from a cell phone.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Five years ago when all of us were new to our new village, someone fainted at a driveway party. We are off 466 and we heard the emergency vehicles pass us by. I was kneeling by the unconscious person but I could hear people who were frustrated and giving incorrect information on the cell phone because they were new to the area. (People get 466 and 466A confused sometimes if they are new)

It ended well. It was hot and the fainter had become dehydrated and the EMS took much longer to find is then I would have expected. New Villages and new streets aren't quickly absorbed into data systems.

Keep that in mind and be sure the caller knows where THEY are and can give good directing information.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Sage

Already discussed in this tread. Calling 911 without a landline?

Message #8 is from an expert in this technology.
Closed Thread

Tags
calling, exact, villages, detect, location

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.